All-Star Is School Cheerleading A Sport? I Know That All Star Definitly Is

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think that it all matters on what the High School team does. I know at mine...yes, we do compete...but I think that it also matters on skills. Janky handspring and tucks that scary you...shouldnt be happening. Its THAT simple. Also, scary stunts that change every practice. no. obviously. that is not a sport...Its a deathtrap....
If a soccer team is really bad, does that mean its not a sport for them?

If you compete i think high school cheerleading is a spot. I'll admit that when i did just allstar i was all for high school cheerleading not being a sport and thought it was a joke, but i quit allstar and did high school and now i see that they work very had (some more than others), and a lot of the girls on my school team work just as hard as allstar cheerleaders. It is hard to look at teams that do half smushs and think of them as a sport, but they are being athletic, and most of it is just like senior level 1. But if the team doesn't compete i don't think it is considered a sport
why would you ever quit allstar for highschool?? just woundering

There ya go, problem solved. Now you can see it. Are they F5? No. But they are probably better than 90 percent of all star teams levels 1-5. Give respect where its earned.

i wouldnt say 90%

it's still hard for me too say ALL high school cheerleading is a sport. There are way too many different levels and programs in high school cheerleading. I personally like to call the cheerleading program at my school "The Poster Making Club". We can't stunt (as in not even halfs). We can't tumble (as in not even cartwheels). We barely jump (as in one girl can do a toe touch). Competing for my school is so far out of the question. Cheerleading at my school would be lucky if they got the name "athletic activity". However in Georgia, well we have all seen some of those videos. ;)
The wide range not in "ability" but just how the programs are ran I think is the reason for the difference in opinions. My school vs My3KidsMom 's school... they can't be compared, let alone be classified together. So to say ALL high school cheerleading is a sport, or to say no high school cheerleading is a sport seems a little uneducated to me.

There are many athletes that would rather cheer for their high school then do all star. If went to a school like Dunbar, Brooke, or Northgate and had to pick one or the other I would probably go with high school as well. It will look good on a college application and help out if you want to cheer in college because you have the experience of sideline.

There are many athletes that would rather cheer for their high school then do all star. If went to a school like Dunbar, Brooke, or Northgate and had to pick one or the other I would probably go with high school as well. It will look good on a college application and help out if you want to cheer in college because you have the experience of sideline.
Plus you get in games for free and you always know that you'll have a good seat:)

i didn't quit for high school. i quit all-star because i had heart pain from the stress of it and i wasn't having as much fun anymore because of how stressful it was for me. I don't know why it was so stressful but it was. Then i realized i could do school cheer which let me cheer without all of the stress. so i did that and went back to all-star on a lower level after the season was over

i wouldnt say 90%
Well this team is doing level 4 skills at least. So okay, 80%. On wood floor. Doesn't change the fact that it doesn't matter how good a team is, if they compete, it a sport just as much as all star is. The Minnesota Vikings suck at football this season, so is it not a sport for them?

I've had kids choose high school over all star. I coach both and love both. So I can see both sides of it. Girls with just handsprings who are great stunters (full ups, double downs, kick doubles) wouldn't be able to do any of that on a SR 2 team. But on a high school team, they can do those skills. For some kids, All star is a better fit. But you gotta respect the kids who pick the other side.

i didn't quit for high school. i quit all-star because i had heart pain from the stress of it and i wasn't having as much fun anymore because of how stressful it was for me. I don't know why it was so stressful but it was. Then i realized i could do school cheer which let me cheer without all of the stress. so i did that and went back to all-star on a lower level after the season was over
aww im sorry, but glad you got back into it :)

i would say high school cheering for football and basketball is not a sport.. but i cheer for my school competition team and its pretty much the same thing as all stars .. we tumble we throw layouts and have one full and we do switch tocks and double from them so i would say it counts as a sport although most people in my school dont think it is lol

i dont think you can say that some high school squads should be considered a sport just because theyre better than others. i think any competitive squad should be considered a squad regardless of skill level. that being said, no i do not think that sideline cheerleading is a sport. i think if a squad does not compete then they should not be considered a sport because there is no competitive aspect to it, it is just performance and entertainment. i dont think it makes sense to tell an athlete who does competitive hs and allstar that when they are at their allstar gym they are an athlete participating in a sport, and that when they are competing with their hs or cheering football and basketball games with them that they are not a sport. its so hard to give a definition for when hs cheer is a sport because it varies so much from school to school but overall i think that any competitive hs squad is just as much a sport as an allstar team.

Back