All-Star Is Stepping Really Standing Tumbleing?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 27, 2011
I know in allstar cheerleading it has become acceptable for standing tumbleing to start out with a step or two or even three in some cases. My question is, do you think this fair? Even though it is acceptable in the cheer world, is it even considered STANDING tumbleing anymore if you start with steps to give you power?

I think it is easy to sync with a step. Last year at Worlds we didnt step and it looked awkward. This year were stepping and its so much cleaner. Side note: I dont think it makes a difference.

I know in allstar cheerleading it has become acceptable for standing tumbleing to start out with a step or two or even three in some cases. My question is, do you think this fair? Even though it is acceptable in the cheer world, is it even considered STANDING tumbleing anymore if you start with steps to give you power?

You start your tumbling from a standing position without any forward momentum. Makes sense to me. And the team that doesn't take any steps is gonna look better and be rewarded through execution.... soo.... yes.

Do I personally think it's fair? No, I come from gymnastics that such things would actually be called "Step-Back-Full" or "Step-skillname". But Cheer doesn't follow that mentality. But I am amazed at what can be done from a step. i.e. "Standing Double Full" etc.

It started as a way to reward things like standing backs and it just evolved. The category name doesn't necessarily fit what it has become, but that is just an issue what the category is named, not the skills that are being performed or the philosophy of how they are performed. "Running in a Forward Direction Tumbling" and "Not Running Forward, But Either Starting From a Standstill or Stepping Backwards Tumbling" would not be practical.

Names evolve. There is no longer an actual "basket" in basketball, etc.

yes because most teams take steps except for level 1 teams and some 2 or 3 teams

A lot of people think its "cheating" to take a step but there is also a little finesse required to actually get power from it. A lot of times tumbling in cheerleading isnt even given the proper recognition or reward so its hard to justify spending as much time practicing a skill to the extent that a gymnast does. Also gymnasts rarely ever throw one backhandspring (From standing) into any skill...apples to oranges.

In my gym we call skills by the way you do them, i.e. standing full, step full, running full. We judge what skill is harder in the order of running - easiest, step - 2nd, and standing - hardest. But in tumbling class or practices step-skills are still considered to be in the standing category. As far as forward tumbling goes, in our gym there is no such thing as standing tumbling when going forward. It's either power hurdle, step hurdle, or running. Competition wise I think it's fair to keep step-tumbling in the standing tumbling category because for us using steps is just a decoration. In your own gym you can do whatever you want, obviously, and tell your kids that stepping is cheating or perfectly acceptable.

I think it is easy to sync with a step. Last year at Worlds we didnt step and it looked awkward. This year were stepping and its so much cleaner. Side note: I dont think it makes a difference.

we actually had someone come in and work with us, and it is proven that the step doesnt make a difference. in fact, he told us it actually makes you lose momentum, because most of the time when kids step, they do the "step scooch" thing, so they end up technically stopping after the step anyway. in other words? it's all mental.

of course it is standing tumbling...even with the steps, before you actually execute the skill you bring both feet together and sit and jump...the steps are used for timing and sync. This is not the balance beam(which is the only place you find standing tumbling in gymnastics) so comparisons to gymnastics just don't apply.

we actually had someone come in and work with us, and it is proven that the step doesnt make a difference. in fact, he told us it actually makes you lose momentum, because most of the time when kids step, they do the "step scooch" thing, so they end up technically stopping after the step anyway. in other words? it's all mental.

I can't speak for your gym but the way we teach steps gains momentum...proven...

I can't speak for your gym but the way we teach steps gains momentum...proven...

well maybe we need to learn the top gun step then. let's examine: top gun semi coed standing tumbling difficulty, american elite lg ltd coed standing tumbling difficulty.
i would definitely say ya'll win by a long run in that one.

really? that fasinates me. because for me it feels like it makes all the difference! wow.

For every skills I have ever thrown - The only skills I couldnt throw without a step that I could with a step was a one to double (but I also have bad backhand springs) I also personally like the look of a choreographed step by a majority of the team. F5 normally has cute motions while stepping. We just so a slap clap step together sit. The pro to no step, IMO, and using level 5 as an example - We have been doing two to fulls all year. We have recently worked adding toe touches infront of our two to fulls and the consistant two to fulls have struggled a bit because they are so use to the step. I think had we not stepped - it would have been easier to transition to a Toe touch two to full...

Also - taking the Debbie Love approach (I guess I would assume this is what she would say)- If kids were taught a standing BHS properly - It probably shouldnt matter.

Back