Is Taking Privates With Another Coach Frowned Upon?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

gibsonbabyicon

Cheer Parent
Apr 7, 2016
Meaning another coach from another gym? I'm considering bringing my daughter to a coach outside her gym for privates this summer but I don't want to upset anyone at our gym. We're staying at our gym and we absolutely love it but wanted some outside feedback with her tumbling.

Meaning another coach from another gym? I'm considering bringing my daughter to a coach outside her gym for privates this summer but I don't want to upset anyone at our gym. We're staying at our gym and we absolutely love it but wanted some outside feedback with her tumbling.

I guess it depends on your current gym. I took my daughter for privates else where and our gym was ok with it. It was very nice to have an outside opinion. My daughter is so used to her coaches so having someone new really helped. She also goes to open tumble and clinics at other gyms and it's never been an issue. Likewise we have had kids from other gyms come to our gym for the same. We have many gyms in our area so maybe that's why it's not a big deal here.

Frowned upon hmmm is a matter of opinion. It can definitely get you the side-eye most times. Some look at it as your planned exit to leave or the opportunity for the outside coach to persuade you to leave current gym. Especially if your at a small gym, taking privates with a coach from a large gym.

I

As @Stephie1012 said, this varies per gym. Best to ask first.

**Slip n Slide. Official sponsor of Worlds 2016**
CP attends privates at a large gym with her former coach. IMO, it is a simple parental decision that does not require approval from the gym. I never considered asking first since it does not violate any written policy. The private lessons take place on a day and time when privates are not offered at the small gym. My dime, my time.

CP attends privates at a large gym with her former coach. IMO, it is a simple parental decision that does not require approval from the gym. I never considered asking first since it does not violate any written policy. The private lessons take place on a day and time when privates are not offered at the small gym. My dime, my time.

I think we all agree with you on my dime my time but there are gyms that specifically do not allow athletes to work at other All-Star gyms and that is part of their written policies.

I think we all agree with you on my dime my time but there are gyms that specifically do not allow athletes to work at other All-Star gyms and that is part of their written policies.
Our old gym did not allow this. Problem is they were very small and had very limited spots for privates. And no specific tumbling coach. The handbook said there would some approved 3rd party tumbling coaches and clinics but there never were.

They probably thought prohibiting the athletes from going to other gyms would keep them from leaving. But everyone would just sneak over and do it anyway. And some of them did end up going to the other gym because they could get the help they needed to progress faster.

Personally I'm not going to sneak around like I'm doing something wrong when I'm already paying exorbitant amounts of money for this sport. So we just waited until the season ended, left quietly and went to the other gym.

It's one thing for cities that have tons of allstar gyms, but we have 3 within driving distance and 2 of them are so small that they only have a couple teams and limited classes (if any). So other than driving for hours, your choices are basically to stay at a tiny gym and do privates at the bigger gym or a gymnastics gym, or just leave and go to the bigger gym.

In response to the original question, some gyms care and some don't. Check your parent handbook. I think parents are going to do whatever they want anyway. So if it says you can't do that, I guess just keep it on the downlow and don't cause any drama about it.

We love our gym and aren't thinking of leaving by any means. Our coaches get bombarded with privates and the outside coach I'm looking at has a good eye with technique and I value her opinion. I just don't want to cause a stir at the gym. I probably will ask.

We love our gym and aren't thinking of leaving by any means. Our coaches get bombarded with privates and the outside coach I'm looking at has a good eye with technique and I value her opinion. I just don't want to cause a stir at the gym. I probably will ask.

That seems like the best option. Especially if they are familiar with the coach you're using.

I would imagine most reasonable gyms wouldn't mind as long as there is a good reason like no availability for privates. And the coach is reputable.

I think it should be fine. One, you might pass some other gyms on the way to your main gym. No one in their right mind would drive 2 hours for a 30m private. Two, your normal gym might be booked out of time slots. But itcan vary between gyms so best to ask.

It depends on the gym. I encourage our athletes to take a class during the week through a gym I respect that does not offer cheer.

Taking a private or even attending an open gym at another place would have had us thrown out of our old gym. We changed to a large gym last season and it is encouraged for two reasons there, because, privates can be hard to get , and because of the distances that people travel to get there. They understand that doing extras closer to home -work out better for some.

Depends on the gym. Our gym is fine with it. Many of our kids take tumbling at a nearby gymnastics club and some of our S5 kids are actually Jr. Coaches at the gymnastics club. Depends on your gyms culture. Because we're a large gym with 4 locations and kids travel, they take lessons closer to home.

I normally do my tumbling classes/privates at a local gymnastics club instead of at my gym. I prefer the amenities they have there, such as a rod floor and a foam pit. I've always been open about this, and my club is fine with it as I am tumbling somewhere. But they also don't offer a lot of adult classes either

Back