All-Star Is Varsity Serious?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheermommaRN

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
video-message2.jpg

(if the image doesn't show up, an ad-blocker may be to blame.)

Looks like Varsity was threatened with a lawsuit.

I guess it's good they can still Live Stream with sound but I guess if you don't catch it in time you are out of luck. I'm just trying to figure out how they can do live with sound but not the recorded routines.

So how do gymnastics floor routines use music on tv? Is it a financial issue? Who's threatening here? The music producers? Or the music labels?

What about CheerLive and the other streamers?

**God Save The Queen**

So how do gymnastics floor routines use music on tv? Is it a financial issue? Who's threatening here? The music producers? Or the music labels?

What about CheerLive and the other streamers?

**God Save The Queen**

My guess, after battling them in the past, the RIAA sent a letter.

How did USASF get around this? Is it because their Worlds videos are on Youtube for free access? Why can't Varsity do that?

I've said for years that I wasn't sure how the cheerleading industry in general was getting away with the whole music thing. I kind of thought the target would be music mixers but I guess Varsity is big to go after too. I will be interested to see how this all plays out.

Funny just yesterday tried to look at CPs summit routine on a new laptop and no sound. Thought something was wrong with the computer. Now I know what's the deal

I don't know how it works now but in the past you could subscribe to certain music services which gave you access to certain songs. I remember I did a story one time and while the background music was ok for the station I was at...it had to be changed for another station that picked the story up.
Anyway...that subscription obviously cost $ and I'm guessing that even if they did pay, it would be way too hard to monitor to ensure all music was part of that subscription list.

How did USASF get around this? Is it because their Worlds videos are on Youtube for free access? Why can't Varsity do that?

USASF was at one time non-profit and my guess is legal ignored them but, someone said they recently changed their status. They will start with the biggest targets and work their way down but, "fair use" isn't going to protect the way the music is used for Varsity, gyms or music mixers. Voice overs and snip-its don't make it okay for use and school districts are even receiving warning letters. I don't know how large the "Royalty-Free" music library is but, we will probably find out what their top ten list is in the next couple of years.

Yup, there are 2-3 organizations with lists of songs that are ok for use due to their copyright status. I remember songs being nixed for our Worlds routine cos they weren't on those lists. However, we did hear them being used at Worlds anyway (mostly from other international teams), and really, no one there is going to check all of the music for each team. But we would make a list and compare them against these lists to see what we could use in our routines. I know our non-Worlds teams don't really bother with this. Maybe if they go to Dallas one year, but the rest don't.

I believe the big concern came in from teams who would be televised, so local school competitions won't really be affected since it's not being broadcast. And the record industry doesn't have the manpower to sit at every competition and file suits. Though with youtube and such, it would be interesting to see if that begins to infringe on copyright issues.

Back