All-Star It Is That Time Of Year...tryouts!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm in that strange place during evaluations (new process for us this year with a few weeks of open gyms/clinics and selections after that) where it is becoming more and more clear that I have some very HUNGRY JV/Sideline girls trying to move up to my team and that a few of them are putting certain returner spots in jeopardy.

Things are about to get interesting, but that is the price paid for complacency.

Also, I have been spending more time this year on moving girls around and around to different stunt groups an seeing how they adapt. Cue the "Omg I can only stunt with _______" anxiety.

Also, stunting work day also means cue "Basing is too hard on my back." Yes, it lives on. Even in HS.

I know we don't fast track placements because we never know what level our teams will be. We have about 85 athletes and end up with one team in each age division, but the levels change. We also do placements by age range, not by level because we found we're just not big enough. Doing them this way gives us a chance to see all the kids in a given age range work together and interact before forming the teams.

We also have an extremely limited use of cross overs. No one from tiny, mini or youth crosses. One junior athlete crosses to senior and 4 senior athletes cross to open. We may change that next year.

I'm sure it'll evolve as we do, our first season we had maybe 45 athletes, now in our third we have 85 and expect to grow again!

Re: Fast Pass tryouts

I know coaches also have to consider the talent coming into the gym. Using the J5 example, if you have half the team coming back but get a big influx of senior age level 5 kids, it makes more sense to make an R5 depending on the age of the kids on the old J5. On the other hand, my cp benefited from a team being kept intact. The SOT J2 team she was on had a pretty poor first season but they were kept together, added kids the next season to go large and won NCA.

CP just had her “tryouts “ at new gym. I emailed her current skills, they evaluated her during tumbling, and had her stunt with a couple of people. Whole thing took about 15 minutes and was ZERO cost.
Returning athletes have no real tryout but can show any new skills they have that coaches might not know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High school tryouts for CP are going on as we speak. I think I am more nervous than she is! This is the child that swore she would NEVER do school cheer. Turns out, after taking a year off allstar, she wants to do school cheer after all.

Back