All-Star It's Happening All Over; Not Just In Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think we need to see more gyms running 2 streams of programming. One competitive and one prep. And keep prep low cost. Local competitions only, less bling uniform etc.

We need to accept that not everyone wants their kid and that not every kid wants to be highly competitive.

If we can do that as an industry whole, I think we can be okay. But this push that everyone needs or wants a world ring and will pay wheverver they have to to get needs to stop

I think we need to see more gyms running 2 streams of programming. One competitive and one prep. And keep prep low cost. Local competitions only, less bling uniform etc.

We need to accept that not everyone wants their kid and that not every kid wants to be highly competitive.

If we can do that as an industry whole, I think we can be okay. But this push that everyone needs or wants a world ring and will pay wheverver they have to to get needs to stop

We have many gyms that offer this, and it is not uncommon.

Let me add this, from a cost standpoint it doesn't change the burden cost of All Star Cheer that much. Things like uniform costs, paying coaches, etc don't change regardless of how serious they are about cheer. Doing less competitions and cheaper IEP competitions will save parents cost in terms of competition fees and travel costs and using less practice time, IE one practice a week instead of 2 can save on costs, but it still isn't going to help those who are being priceed out at this point that much.

Let me add this, from a cost standpoint it doesn't change the burden cost of All Star Cheer that much. Things like uniform costs, paying coaches, etc don't change regardless of how serious they are about cheer. Doing less competitions and cheaper IEP competitions will save parents cost in terms of competition fees and travel costs and using less practice time, IE one practice a week instead of 2 can save on costs, but it still isn't going to help those who are being priceed out at this point that much.

I respectfully disagree.

Prep doesn't have to be 'less serious' but it can be substantially less expensive and I've had a kid on both sides of that coin. The difference wasn't measured in $100's it was measured in $1000's. And I paid nowhere near what some of the other parents on this board have paid because my kiddo never chased a Summit Bid.

You're also forgetting about half season, which in our area, has grown rapidly and is significantly cheaper than what the local prep options are.

If AS Cheer wanted to stop pricing our parents, they absolutely could. And for many gyms, the owners and coaches are trying to squeeze out every last bit of savings they can while keeping their doors open. The reality is, the powers at be don't want to because this is a business and they like money.

I respectfully disagree.

Prep doesn't have to be 'less serious' but it can be substantially less expensive and I've had a kid on both sides of that coin. The difference wasn't measured in $100's it was measured in $1000's. And I paid nowhere near what some of the other parents on this board have paid because my kiddo never chased a Summit Bid.

You're also forgetting about half season, which in our area, has grown rapidly and is significantly cheaper than what the local prep options are.

If AS Cheer wanted to stop pricing our parents, they absolutely could. And for many gyms, the owners and coaches are trying to squeeze out every last bit of savings they can while keeping their doors open. The reality is, the powers at be don't want to because this is a business and they like money.

I would agree with this. CP is doing prep after years of NYAA rec, and the only thing that was substantially more than rec plus paying for tumbling separately was the uniform. There are also more nearby competitions for prep than there were for rec-our nearest rec comp was 3 hours away. And camps and stunt clinics are now at our home gym instead of at a college campus hours away. It may well end up costing less by the end of the season. I do suspect her time is limited, though-no gym in our area offers anything but full-year, triple crown, chase the bids travel for seniors. She doesn't really want to do sideline-only, but may not have a choice once she is 14. I am praying for a half-year or limited travel team-a 4.2 would be ideal.

I respectfully disagree.

Because a majority of those powers are now a bank, and its terrible.

If AS Cheer wanted to stop pricing our parents, they absolutely could.

We can't forget coaches are a limited resource. Gym owners already face the challenge of finding qualified people that are willing to work nights, weekends and travel with limited pay and benefits. The unfortunate truth is when something is fun and desirable, price is often the only thing that will control population and safety.

It's only my opinion, but as long as parents keep clamoring for division fairness in skill, age and gym size, we are going to have to continue traveling long distances to find competition. Reduce divisions and you will have more competition. Divisions can't and won't insure fairness until skill level is defined and regulated. Next, while video has stopped the need to travel to see the competition, it's still a mentality that takes time to change.

Back