All-Star Jamfest Supernationals And Special Needs Teams- No Jackets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree with this, but it has been my biggest worry since the division started. The division is currently treated very well by the EP's and get to compete with no cost. But, my concern for every part of the division is to avoid ANYONE ever getting the thought "oh no, not another special needs team."

Splitting into additional divisions concerns me because of the additional time and expense for the EP's. We've got to be sure not to push their generosity too far. If we ultimately want the division to be treated exactly like the rest, we'll have to be prepared to pay for the privilege.

I don't have an answer, just a concern.
That is absolutely a concern. But you know, the division has evolved naturally in such a great way, that I am optimistic that it will continue to grow in a positive direction.

I can certainly understand the desire for the teams to be scored. I can also understand why some EPs or coaches feel the other way. (There are some valid issues about the level of help they get from helpers, scoring discouraging teams from including those with lower levels of functioning, etc) There are valid points on both sides of this I believe. I don't think that feeling one way or the other on this issue in any way defines how much you support those athletes or teams in this division.
I also would hate to see it get so competitive that teams start holding tryouts and kids with more challenges start becoming excluded.

But I do think that competing is good for kids. Our kids have to live in the real world where they have to experience joys and disappointments just like everybody else.

Our team this year has had a few upheavals and not winning teaches them a great lesson, as somebody said the Special Olympics motto says "be brave in the try" and just have fun. It teaches them good sportsmanship and to be proud of the effort of all their competitors.

I love this thread... I eventually want to get competition cheerleading into the Special Olympics. The problem is there is no format for how this is done. It could be done like special olympics gymnastics where athletes are split by level, but that would seperate those with greater challenges since cheer is a team sport. Keep up all these suggestions... working with all my special needs teams is a huge passion of mine and if there's a way I can bring more cheer into their lives while evolving the sport in a positive way, I intend to find it!

I think this says it all. My daughter is in her 7th year on her team. Around the 3rd or 4th year, when she was becoming pretty cheer savvy, she said to me "this is the first time I feel normal."

This is lovely. My eyes are leaking.

Back