All-Star Journalist Looking For Insight/help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 31, 2016
Hey there- My name is Max. I am an investigative journalist based in New York and I am exploring a prospective project about cheerleading. I am basically just trying to immerse myself in the cheerleading world, hoping to do a story about the growth and success of cheer, but also a realistic look at the challenges faced by parents, kids, coaches, etc. I am happy to discuss more about the details of my reporting to date via email or elsewhere, if someone has thoughts and info they care to divulge, but wish to do so in a more private forum. Knowing what I do already about the cheer industry's status quo, I understand many are reticent to vocally discuss some of the problems. I am happy to use solid and credible information on deep background, or to have initial conversations take place off the record, as a means of advancing my reporting but respecting the privacy of those willing to engage initially.

Initially I am interested to learn more about two areas of the cheer world and they way they are run/regulated: 1) The summer camp circuit- cost, safety, quality of the training, etc. 2) The private all-star gyms and the dynamic between parents/coaches (or gym owners)/tournament organizers.

Again, if some of you out there would be willing to share experiences/insight, but care to do so more privately, I am happy to facilitate that. I will be sending more specific, granular questions in the coming days/weeks, but wanted to introduce myself and reach out to the board broadly to start. Thank you all in advance for your time and feedback.

Good luck with your research. I'm sure you will get responses in your private messages. Parents and athletes are, as you say, reticent to speak publicly if it's of a negative nature.

He posted his credentials in the "newbies" section. Google told me he is legit.

His name is legit. There's no easy way to know if the poster is actually him. I'd think a legitimate reporter posting here for professional reasons would use his name as his his user name...but what do I know? I considered sending him a DM on Twitter...just out of curiosity.

I'm often suspicious of posters and their motives, though.

His name is legit. There's no easy way to know if the poster is actually him. I'd think a legitimate reporter posting here for professional reasons would use his name as his his user name...but what do I know? I considered sending him a DM on Twitter...just out of curiosity.

I'm often suspicious of posters and their motives, though.

I am, as well. If he is who he says he is, I am guessing he is investigating a rather large company that seems to have its hands in the pockets of everyone and everything in this industry. ;)

I am, as well. If he is who he says he is, I am guessing he is investigating a rather large company that seems to have its hands in the pockets of everyone and everything in this industry. ;)

Maybe. That would make sense.

I would proceed with caution. Assuming it is a reporter, reporters will almost always tell you they are doing something to put a positive spin on the sport, even when that is not their intention at all.

Say it isn't so.

I think experience of a couple shows where dad came around to discuss and do damage control proved that.

**Does size matter for a base?**

I would proceed with caution. Assuming it is a reporter, reporters will almost always tell you they are doing something to put a positive spin on the sport, even when that is not their intention at all.
SMH.

Couldn't he just scour the board for what he needs?

Hey there- My name is Max. I am an investigative journalist based in New York and I am exploring a prospective project about cheerleading. I am basically just trying to immerse myself in the cheerleading world, hoping to do a story about the growth and success of cheer, but also a realistic look at the challenges faced by parents, kids, coaches, etc. I am happy to discuss more about the details of my reporting to date via email or elsewhere, if someone has thoughts and info they care to divulge, but wish to do so in a more private forum. Knowing what I do already about the cheer industry's status quo, I understand many are reticent to vocally discuss some of the problems. I am happy to use solid and credible information on deep background, or to have initial conversations take place off the record, as a means of advancing my reporting but respecting the privacy of those willing to engage initially.

Initially I am interested to learn more about two areas of the cheer world and they way they are run/regulated: 1) The summer camp circuit- cost, safety, quality of the training, etc. 2) The private all-star gyms and the dynamic between parents/coaches (or gym owners)/tournament organizers.

Again, if some of you out there would be willing to share experiences/insight, but care to do so more privately, I am happy to facilitate that. I will be sending more specific, granular questions in the coming days/weeks, but wanted to introduce myself and reach out to the board broadly to start. Thank you all in advance for your time and feedback.

As an adult mom on this board. I'm a little concerned about you discussing anything with anyone who is a minor privately. While I understand on the newbie board you gave your credentials I think some more details is needed here not privately. Sorry I'm one protective mom so a lot more information outright about yourself on this board only seems appropriate if you are indeed a legit reporter.

Since you are based in NY, you would be better off establishing a relationship with a gym on the east coast and expanding from there.

You're going to have a lot more credibility if you can write "cheerleader x from gym A says that cheer is......" rather than writing "an unnamed internet user from fierce board says that cheer is...."

As an adult mom on this board. I'm a little concerned about you discussing anything with anyone who is a minor privately. While I understand on the newbie board you gave your credentials I think some more details is needed here not privately. Sorry I'm one protective mom so a lot more information outright about yourself on this board only seems appropriate if you are indeed a legit reporter.

I believe he is looking to talk to adults based on a few comments he has made

**AS Cheer is the The Hotel California of sports**

Take a look at some of the stories from the program he works for. This is not some fly by night operation. Their product is quality. If he is legit (and I am working under the assumption that he is based on my experience in the industry) then what he is doing is gathering info from across the country as a backbone for where the ultimate story is going to go (and I think we have hints of that direction judging from the two primary areas he brings up). A couple of interviews with a local gym is not the point here. I think gathering info and sending crews out later (to get the interviews from around the country from those they select) is ultimately what will happen...if there are enough people in various sectors of the cheer industry who are willing to speak knowledgably and accurately despite the risk that going on camera for a story like this might entail. (Yes Susie's Mom... this is NOT a good opportunity to promote your special butterfly and if you choose to... ALL fault lies with you!) I believe that those with knowledge who might wish to see some changes come to this industry may want to reach out to Max and his program. Again... if he is who he says he is (and working on the program he is tied to) then I think this would be a legit story.

Back