All-Star Journalist Looking For Insight/help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would proceed with caution. Assuming it is a reporter, reporters will almost always tell you they are doing something to put a positive spin on the sport, even when that is not their intention at all.

The one thing I'll say to this is that maybe that isn't a bad thing? There are aspects of this sport that I absolutely love, but there are also aspects of the big picture that I'd love to see pulled apart and held accountable to. And that is from a mom who has not had nearly the amount of experience, time, or gone to some of the bigger type competitions where hot mess situations seem to be linked the most. Even just this past World's---can you imagine the viral aspects that if called into question by the masses may have actually resulted in the changes people want made, held the powers that be more accountable than I slap on the wrist fine and giving kids scholarships---sometimes negativity turns positive when it holds companies and people accountable. I'm not saying I want to see AS Cheerleading burn, but I would like some more realism to 90% of articles I read about it.

Take a look at some of the stories from the program he works for. This is not some fly by night operation. Their product is quality. If he is legit (and I am working under the assumption that he is based on my experience in the industry) then what he is doing is gathering info from across the country as a backbone for where the ultimate story is going to go (and I think we have hints of that direction judging from the two primary areas he brings up). A couple of interviews with a local gym is not the point here. I think gathering info and sending crews out later (to get the interviews from around the country from those they select) is ultimately what will happen...if there are enough people in various sectors of the cheer industry who are willing to speak knowledgably and accurately despite the risk that going on camera for a story like this might entail. (Yes Susie's Mom... this is NOT a good opportunity to promote your special butterfly and if you choose to... ALL fault lies with you!) I believe that those with knowledge who might wish to see some changes come to this industry may want to reach out to Max and his program. Again... if he is who he says he is (and working on the program he is tied to) then I think this would be a legit story.

Just to shimmy this times 100...also, for those who do contact him privately, I'm sure the e-mail he's using is likely gonna be tied to the bigger company.

The one thing I'll say to this is that maybe that isn't a bad thing? There are aspects of this sport that I absolutely love, but there are also aspects of the big picture that I'd love to see pulled apart and held accountable to. And that is from a mom who has not had nearly the amount of experience, time, or gone to some of the bigger type competitions where hot mess situations seem to be linked the most. Even just this past World's---can you imagine the viral aspects that if called into question by the masses may have actually resulted in the changes people want made, held the powers that be more accountable than I slap on the wrist fine and giving kids scholarships---sometimes negativity turns positive when it holds companies and people accountable. I'm not saying I want to see AS Cheerleading burn, but I would like some more realism to 90% of articles I read about it.

Just to shimmy this times 100...also, for those who do contact him privately, I'm sure the e-mail he's using is likely gonna be tied to the bigger company.

Silly girl, just because the USASF makes the rules doesn't mean they have to follow the rules. [emoji23]

**AS Cheer is the The Hotel California of sports**

One of the problems with all cheerleading, HS, AS, Rec, Collegiate, etc; is the flow of money is too far in the wrong direction. At least if your kid is a superstar at a sport like baseball, softball, etc, and youre spending tens of thousands on travel ball, there's an end game where your kid might get a scholarship. In cheerleading, that scholarship is virtually non-existent. Even the relatively few (compared to sports) that are offered are minimal. There's way too much money going in the wrong direction in cheer.

Silly girl, just because the USASF makes the rules doesn't mean they have to follow the rules. [emoji23]

Well I do love fantasy world's! And your slip n slide signature was the best of all time, I can't believe you changed it!

Take a look at some of the stories from the program he works for. This is not some fly by night operation. Their product is quality. If he is legit (and I am working under the assumption that he is based on my experience in the industry) then what he is doing is gathering info from across the country as a backbone for where the ultimate story is going to go (and I think we have hints of that direction judging from the two primary areas he brings up). A couple of interviews with a local gym is not the point here. I think gathering info and sending crews out later (to get the interviews from around the country from those they select) is ultimately what will happen...if there are enough people in various sectors of the cheer industry who are willing to speak knowledgably and accurately despite the risk that going on camera for a story like this might entail. (Yes Susie's Mom... this is NOT a good opportunity to promote your special butterfly and if you choose to... ALL fault lies with you!) I believe that those with knowledge who might wish to see some changes come to this industry may want to reach out to Max and his program. Again... if he is who he says he is (and working on the program he is tied to) then I think this would be a legit story.

I agree! And I think, if he is who he says he is, the risk might be worth the payoff.

I believe he is looking to talk to adults based on a few comments he has made

Yep I just want to make sure since he wants kids challenges as well and while he may be legit.... I want to make sure he gets coming on forum and talking privately that this privately should not include minors. 1) because even though he is legit this whole thing could be easily replicated by a nut with not good intentions 2) even with good intentions in this case....private conversations with minors for an article just feels wrong in my overprotective mom world and want to hear from him that he will only be talking with adults privately. But then I don't let my kids on the forums or social media for this reason partly.

Yep I just want to make sure since he wants kids challenges as well and while he may be legit.... I want to make sure he gets coming on forum and talking privately that this privately should not include minors. 1) because even though he is legit this whole thing could be easily replicated by a nut with not good intentions 2) even with good intentions in this case....private conversations with minors for an article just feels wrong in my overprotective mom world and want to hear from him that he will only be talking with adults privately. But then I don't let my kids on the forums or social media for this reason partly.
The lines of questioning he proposed really aren't the type kids could/should be responding to. I definitely felt the information is needed from those of us bankrolling...
That said, I'm sure some kids might respond (and that's a potential problem) but the questioning definitely seemed more focused on adults.

Thank you for this, and to those who have been posting here, I apologize for my delay in responding. I am happy to discuss more specifics in a private forum, but for the sake of protecting our reporting and the integrity of our journalistic process, I am not at liberty to air those things out on the public board. My purpose here is to put out a broad feeler, in hopes of cultivating trust and relationships with parents/coaches IN the cheer world who can share insight and experience with me. I believe it is important to report a story of this nature thoroughly and to engage with any/all credible sources capable of enhancing our understanding of the subject matter. Some of you have speculated about the nature of our investigative reporting, and again, I am happy to disclose more with willing sources by phone, or private email/messages. The complex and sometimes controversial facets of the cheer world require greater exploration on our part and I was advised to get on this board and use it as a resource towards that end. I do apologize to any of you who may be suspicious or wary of this endeavor, but welcome any/all engagement with folks who have a sense of what we are driving towards, and have strong sentiments/insights they are willing to share. I am quite certain that the more folks with whom we can engage, the more additive it will be to our final reporting. Thank you again to all of you for the time and consideration. I will look forward to connecting with some of you more extensively by way of message/email.

Here's my take, HBO Sports is a division of Time Warner and ESPN of Disney. Time Warner and Disney have been battling for years on market share. A snippet from The Guardian 9 days ago:

"As declining viewership and cable subscriptions begin to take a toll on major media companies, players like Disney, Time Warner and Viacom are all dealing with varying degrees of shareholder concern about the future of their business models."

Disney's media division is its largest source of revenue, and ESPN represents 50% of its media division. I tend to believe there is no coincidence in the fact that ESPN is building a new cheer/dance facility and HBO Sports is trying to find out more information.

Here's my take, HBO Sports is a division of Time Warner and ESPN of Disney. Time Warner and Disney have been battling for years on market share. A snippet from The Guardian 9 days ago:

"As declining viewership and cable subscriptions begin to take a toll on major media companies, players like Disney, Time Warner and Viacom are all dealing with varying degrees of shareholder concern about the future of their business models."

Disney's media division is its largest source of revenue, and ESPN represents 50% of its media division. I tend to believe there is no coincidence in the fact that ESPN is building a new cheer/dance facility and HBO Sports is trying to find out more information.

Ahhh good info! Now this makes me even MORE excited that the journalist will get plenty of the info he needs for his story!! Its about time to have a corporation big enough to take on Disney and their bed buddies at Varsity. The Webb Barn that is being built on the backs of Cheer parents needs to have a serious look at how they came into all their influence. Hope they look at how far the Varsity webb has been spun. even having their own schill here on the fierce board

Ahhh good info! Now this makes me even MORE excited that the journalist will get plenty of the info he needs for his story!! Its about time to have a corporation big enough to take on Disney and their bed buddies at Varsity. The Webb Barn that is being built on the backs of Cheer parents needs to have a serious look at how they came into all their influence. Hope they look at how far the Varsity webb has been spun. even having their own schill here on the fierce board

In business, I question any person that says they know for a fact a certain outcome would be better when they don't know the motive or the cards being held. Ultimately, someone has to pay for the war and it is never those that are making the decisions to go to battle. None of us know if this is a good or bad thing.

Bitter much?

Thank you for this, and to those who have been posting here, I apologize for my delay in responding. I am happy to discuss more specifics in a private forum, but for the sake of protecting our reporting and the integrity of our journalistic process, I am not at liberty to air those things out on the public board. My purpose here is to put out a broad feeler, in hopes of cultivating trust and relationships with parents/coaches IN the cheer world who can share insight and experience with me. I believe it is important to report a story of this nature thoroughly and to engage with any/all credible sources capable of enhancing our understanding of the subject matter. Some of you have speculated about the nature of our investigative reporting, and again, I am happy to disclose more with willing sources by phone, or private email/messages. The complex and sometimes controversial facets of the cheer world require greater exploration on our part and I was advised to get on this board and use it as a resource towards that end. I do apologize to any of you who may be suspicious or wary of this endeavor, but welcome any/all engagement with folks who have a sense of what we are driving towards, and have strong sentiments/insights they are willing to share. I am quite certain that the more folks with whom we can engage, the more additive it will be to our final reporting. Thank you again to all of you for the time and consideration. I will look forward to connecting with some of you more extensively by way of message/email.

If you're really interested in communicating with someone who's been around the block in this industry from all facets, and someone that will shoot straight without caring who gets hacked off about it in the end, message me.

Currently wondering whether I should grab popcorn and a slushy or hide behind the nearest object...

Back