All-Star Judges Challenge?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Same kind of thing happened to us by the same EP in two consecutive competitions. In the first we were sandbagged and clearly won, they even said they "didn't disagree" but had to stand by their judges so our kids stayed in second to the astonishment of the arena...

....and in the next competition where we did win and the second place team challenged they suddenly overturned the placements at the last awards ceremony of the day four hours after that team had gotten their medal and banner. They didn't even tell our coaches they were going to overturn it...they found out the same time the arena found out when the announcer said "after further review" they were going to award "co-champions" from an awards ceremony four hours earlier.

Insanity.

My cp's were not on the first team that got sandbagged....they WERE on the second team that had their win taken away.....which was what actually ended up happening. They didn't make anyone "co-champions" they flat moved our kids to second, four hours later, after most of the team was back on the road home.

We always stay to the end so we were there to hear them take it away...live. Try explaining THAT to your kids.

My entire world for a scoring system like kingston outlined. And a universal score sheet!
not to cause drama, you can PM me, but what ep was this? So I don't take my teams there.

I totally agree that the USASF should be in charge of deductions.

We were at a competition last year in which a team botched their pyramid, but because it didn't fall they didn't get a deduction. They also had a ton of touch downs in tumbling and didn't get deductions for that either. When I approached the EP regarding the scoring (I didn't go for their scores, but more so because my team received a zero for baskets, which I knew was incorrect), I began talking to them about how their deduction system works. They said that a bobble has to be a major disruption (her example was a stunt that came down but was caught in a cradle) of the stunt or skill not just what most if not all other EP's consider a bobble. Once she had said this I asked her to walk me through my routine and show me our deductions. In our tumbling section we had one girl touch down when she landed her tuck, and we had one boy literally take a few steps back and land on him bum. She had explained that the girl touching down wasn't a deduction, but that the boy falling was considered a bobble. So we were awarded one deduction. If I was at any other competition, we would have gotten two deductions, one for the touch down and one for the fall. I got so upset with the woman and she couldn't understand why, stating that I should be happy that we didn't get two deductions. She couldn't understand that I want my kids to be judged the same way at every competition for their mistakes, so when they see a team compete against them touch down on 5 tumbling passes (I got the video...lol) and then not complete half of their pyramid, they can be appropriately hopeful that they outscored them by performing a routine with one bobble in stunting and two tumbling mistakes.

Is it really so bad to want the judging to accurately reflect what we coach our kids. That perfect skills get rewarded and that mistakes get deductions. Not that there are certain mistakes that don't get deductions.

Ok I'm done with my ranting for now..;)

Back