Jump/ Flexibility Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 19, 2011
Alright, so to be completely honest.. my jumps are pitiful. My toe touch is to low, its embarrasing. My left hurdler isn't completely ugly, but my right is a whole nother story. My pike is actually pretty decent. :) For all stars this year, i was near the back row for jumps which doesn't really bother me, but this year i want to really wow my coaches at tryouts with some amazing jumps. Also i wanted to fly for high school this year, and my heel stretch is almost non existent and my bow look like a joke. There's no way right now i could pull a scor or arb or scale and have it look even 3/4 decent. Is there any tips or tricks or stretches and exercises i could do to help my jumps and my body positions. All advice is welcome and very very much appreciated. Thank you so much :)

In regards to your jumps- the only true solution to improving them is to keep doing them! Also, start doing tons of leg workouts, so that you do have the muscle ability to get your legs up THERE. I've seen the least flexible people do great jumps! Start doing squats, one legged squats, squat jumps, calf raises, moutain climbers, lunges, burpees!

i feel the same way, your not the only one! what i do sometimes is do 10 toe touches in a row, like start your prep on 1, jump on 4, land on 6, clean on 7-8 and get ready to do this again on 1. so just do 10 jumps over and over again. some all star coaches said they did this drill with their girls and it really helps build leg muscles while working on your prep, landing, clean, and flexibility, hope this helps

Stretching before and after exercising actually makes you more flexible. For jumps just keep doing them over and over again, I always think about swinging my legs in a big circle when i do them. Stretch every day and hopefully you will get the results you wanted!

In regards to your jumps- the only true solution to improving them is to keep doing them! Also, start doing tons of leg workouts, so that you do have the muscle ability to get your legs up THERE. I've seen the least flexible people do great jumps! Start doing squats, one legged squats, squat jumps, calf raises, moutain climbers, lunges, burpees!

I need help with my jumps too, but...What's a mountain climber??

Work your hip flexers! If you know how to get snap your legs up your toe touch will be at least parallel, because I assume you're flexible enough to just sit in a straddle (ie: a parallel toetouch!) Sit in a straddle, put one hand on the floor to the right of your leg and the other to the left. Lift your leg up and make 10 little circles in the air with your leg, relax, then do your other leg. It should be hard to do if you're doing it right! Make sure your chest is up and you're not leaning back. This really strengthens your hip flexers and will help you roll your hips. This exercise also helps in your other jumps too. Remember when doing your toetouch to think about rolling your hips so your shoelaces face the wall behind you. (It's not possible, but it really helps you visualize what you should be doing.)

I agree with the post above... hip flexers are very key! also i go up against the wall and stand like im doing a needle, doing slpits against the wall. this gives me a chance to push myself, whereas just doing splits on the ground its hard for you to push yourdelf down farther. ummm... oh i sit on the ground in a straddle (another wall stretch) and push my straddle against the wall. hope these help somewhat. Oh also when you stretch make sure you get your muscles warm. My team actually would stretch a little bit at the beginning of practice but at the end when your muscles are all lose we stretched hard and i found that my muscles were more giving.

Stretch, stretch and strech some more. Then try leg weights when doing jumps. If you do them enough with weights and then try without you'll be surprised how much higher you get!

Stretching every day, do splits every chance you can!! Left leg, right leg then middle! While you're watching tv or any time you can! Also do 6 inches...they kill but will make your legs/abs stronger!

Back