All-Star Jump Scoring - Varsity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From what I've been reading, you need to do a variety quad jump combo with some sort of movement to max out.

Maxing on the basing category, you need to remove the front spots. HOWEVER, it seems that the scores are pretty much meaningless from competition to competition. They mean something different everywhere.

This is correct. Just because you have "extras" that there aren't enough of to make another stunt group doesn't mean you can use them as front spots. Take the front spots off and you should definitely max out.

So an example of a quad jump with variety and movement would be left hurdler, TT, right hurdler, pike (slowly turning from left to right)?

Or do they mean like traveling jumps where you change formations (go from a V to lines and windows while jumping)?

So an example of a quad jump with variety and movement would be left hurdler, TT, right hurdler, pike (slowly turning from left to right)?

Or do they mean like traveling jumps where you change formations (go from a V to lines and windows while jumping)?

I believe they are referring to starting your jumps to the back then slowly turning them to the front with each jump. You might get credit for your example above, but since it only rotates 1/3, I'm not sure if it would work or not. Honestly, it probably depends on your judging panel. Which is the frustrating part....

I believe they are referring to starting your jumps to the back then slowly turning them to the front with each jump. You might get credit for your example above, but since it only rotates 1/3, I'm not sure if it would work or not. Honestly, it probably depends on your judging panel. Which is the frustrating part....
I don't understand this sudden need for rotating jumps. Seriously, what crazy person decided THAT was a thing when scores are difficult to decipher already. Now you have to make sure your jumps turn enough?!!? I don't get this madness.

I don't understand this sudden need for rotating jumps. Seriously, what crazy person decided THAT was a thing when scores are difficult to decipher already. Now you have to make sure your jumps turn enough?!!? I don't get this madness.
AMEN to that!! What does it even show?
So over these varsity score sheets! Our scores were all over the place this past weekend! Technique scores in all areas were so off. One team in my division scored really high in pyramid technique and basically half their pyramid didn't go. We hit outs perfectly and we had the same score as them.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I agree! I always thought this was more part of the routine/jump creativity. Personally, I think that the traveling jumps (moving formations) are much more difficult and should be rewarded appropriately (even if that means docking the technique) but turning jumps aren't that hard and are pretty standard now days.

I agree! I always thought this was more part of the routine/jump creativity. Personally, I think that the traveling jumps (moving formations) are much more difficult and should be rewarded appropriately (even if that means docking the technique) but turning jumps aren't that hard and are pretty standard now days.
I mean- by natural movement of pikes/hurdlers, you tend to turn for them anyway (minus the person at point). Jump technique across the board isn't super hot in cheer to begin with, I don't know why they thought adding in mandatory turns would be necessary. I didn't find it particularly appealing when done as a creative routine element (because so few do it well/clean)- I REALLY don't find it appealing now.

Leave certain things as creativity elements otherwise we might as well have 'rounds' instead of a 2:30 routine.

I agree! I feel like as an industry we keep trying to get more objective and less subjective, then the judges turn around and change the game/rules and require something more. Just give us a frickin rubric we can follow. Tell us exactly what we need to do to MAX out, not just get in the "high range". If someone comes up with a new and inventive way to outscore their competitors in an area, reward them with creativity points, overall impression points, whatever. But give us something to work with! Ugh. -- Ok rant over.

I think the "movement" could also be interpreted as hip rotation.

We do:

Pike to the side, swing
Right front to front corner, swing
Toe touch to front, swing,
Left front to left corner

There's nothing more that we can do, we have not repeated any jumps, we have changed direction on each, and did 4 in immediate sequence.

I think the "movement" could also be interpreted as hip rotation.

We do:

Pike to the side, swing
Right front to front corner, swing
Toe touch to front, swing,
Left front to left corner

There's nothing more that we can do, we have not repeated any jumps, we have changed direction on each, and did 4 in immediate sequence.
The funny thing is, I feel like most people were doing that sort of thing anyway (even if it was just a triangle formation and each side was facing their own direction to start). I keep seeing teams actually turning as a whole this year and quite frankly- more often than not it just looks BAD.

Does anyone know if they still consider a clap-cone between jumps connected? I remember last year they (USASF regional Meeting) were saying as long as it is within 4 counts it is "connected"
My minis do: Clap-cone, swing toe, swing toe, clap-cone, swing left hurdle, clap-cone, swing right hurdle.

Reactions: VTX
why does varsity not say on their website about turning in jumps? if they want it wouldnt they of said it in their scoring system?

Back