All-Star Jump Scoring - Varsity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 23, 2011
We went to our first Varsity event of the year (which was awesome)... just confused as to why most of our teams did not max out jump score...for example, my team does a triple (front, pike, toe) and then a separate toe touch, which did put us in the high range, but did not max out. Any suggestions? That .2 can make a difference and I don't want to settle for less! ;)

Varsity Jump Scoring:

Low
Most of the athletes participate in a double jump combination, must include a variety

Medium
Most of the athletes participate in a triple jump combination, must include a variety

High
Most of the athletes participate in either a quad jump combination or a triple jump combination and an additional jump, must
include a variety

I was told that doing the 4 jumps all connected will get you a higher score than just doing 3 and then another jump somewhere else. Also if you turn or move in jumps that will also increase your score. For example if you do a toe touch to the back pike to the side another toe to the front and hurdler to the side.

I don't see why they don't tell you this. It says you need either or to get in the high range. they should tell you whats going to get the highest score.

I saw a lot of inconsistencies with varsity scoring this weekend. they tell you to do one thing and if you do it theyre still not giving you the score you need.

Defintely making it a quad jump will get you higher and adding turns/movement during the jumps will also increase it's difficulty. Also, teams that do more than a quad or a total of 5 or more jumps will score higher within the high range. Just make sure not to sacrifice techinque because some judges will still dock your difficulty within range for ugly skills.

I've noticed especially for jumps (and tumbling) is that my sync and execution are getting added in to my difficulty score. When I do the exact same jump sequence as a another team in my gym but I have better form and higher/level jumps, I'm scoring higher than they are. Quad jumps that are level/hyper-extended and very clean/sync'd look harder than a messy sloppy quad section.

I put in a review at spirit cheer two weekends ago. Our senior team does a quad jump and a separate toe touch, and didn't max out. I was told jumps are a capped skill (their words) and that we only needed the four, but they had to be four DIFFERENT jumps to get max. We do toe handspring tucks, then front hurdler, toe, toe, pike. The inconsistencies from one event to the next with varsity scoring are making me crazy-- .2-.3 difference from one week to the next!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

We attend mostly all Varsity events. Every comp we've been to so far has told us to add "movement" in our jumps to max out. I personally think that is execution suicide so I feel like I'm darned if we do, darned if we don't. I have chosen to take the lower difficulty score and maintain our execution.

Also, on the point of adding a 5th jump to max out...we were told when Varsity gave specifics on the number of jumps we needed that the reason for that was to prevent squads from going overboard and doing 5 or 6 or 7 jumps. That the judges just wanted to see a nice 4 jump sequence and that's it. I can understand rewarding turning jumps a higher difficulty score so to me the way jumps should be scored would be something like this:

8.7 - 3 connected jumps, 1 additional in routine
8.8 - 4 connected jumps, 2 of those jumps are the same skill
8.9 - 4 connected jumps with 4 different jumps
9.0 - 4 connected jumps with movement

Just my opinion, but this is what seems fair to me.

We attend mostly all Varsity events. Every comp we've been to so far has told us to add "movement" in our jumps to max out. I personally think that is execution suicide so I feel like I'm darned if we do, darned if we don't. I have chosen to take the lower difficulty score and maintain our execution.

Also, on the point of adding a 5th jump to max out...we were told when Varsity gave specifics on the number of jumps we needed that the reason for that was to prevent squads from going overboard and doing 5 or 6 or 7 jumps. That the judges just wanted to see a nice 4 jump sequence and that's it. I can understand rewarding turning jumps a higher difficulty score so to me the way jumps should be scored would be something like this:

8.7 - 3 connected jumps, 1 additional in routine
8.8 - 4 connected jumps, 2 of those jumps are the same skill
8.9 - 4 connected jumps with 4 different jumps
9.0 - 4 connected jumps with movement

Just my opinion, but this is what seems fair to me.

I agree with that. I feel like everything on varsity scoring has been all over the place this year. They tell you what to do to max out. And then you do that and they tell you you need to do more. They should have just told everyone up front that doing 3 jumps and then 1 other jump will score lower than doing 4 jumps in a row. All it says is to do either or. It doesn't say one will get you a higher score.

I also don't get the tosses scoring. They tell you to do a group toss and then 3 other variety tosses in the routine to max out. All of our teams this weekend did that and they told us we need to have more tosses to max out. I thought after you do the 3 the other ones don't count. My large senior 3 team does 7 group full tosses and 5 other tosses in the routine. 2 pretty girls,1 toe touch,1 kick toss and one pike toss and we still didn't max out. I don't get what else they want us to do.

I know this isn't jump related, but the concept of scoring came into play and it made me think about how judges have misinterpreted the new, five-point basing score throughout the season. I was under the impression that it was made clear if you put up the maximum number of stunts possible with the number of athletes on the floor (ex. 6 stunts for 20 girls), you'll automatically score a 5 regardless of execution. We've been to competitions where the score sheets read "5 -- fulfills max basing requirement," and we've been to other Varsity brand comps where we've scored 4.8s and 4.9s with the same exact stunt sequence and no other explanation given as to why. In one case, when we got a 4.8 in basing and placed second by .10, a correct basing score would have put us in first. Judges need to know these things!!! In stacked divisions, it is only tenths of points that are going to separate the top teams!

I know this isn't jump related, but the concept of scoring came into play and it made me think about how judges have misinterpreted the new, five-point basing score throughout the season. I was under the impression that it was made clear if you put up the maximum number of stunts possible with the number of athletes on the floor (ex. 6 stunts for 20 girls), you'll automatically score a 5 regardless of execution. We've been to competitions where the score sheets read "5 -- fulfills max basing requirement," and we've been to other Varsity brand comps where we've scored 4.8s and 4.9s with the same exact stunt sequence and no other explanation given as to why. In one case, when we got a 4.8 in basing and placed second by .10, a correct basing score would have put us in first. Judges need to know these things!!! In stacked divisions, it is only tenths of points that are going to separate the top teams!

We competed at a varsity event this weekend and on the first day we got a 4.6 in basing because we had 7 stunts with 3 fronts spots on them. In another sequence we do 8 stunts with no front spots. I thought that because we are doing these 8 stunts with the maximum number of athletes we would get the full 5. On day 2 we took off all but one of the front spots and we scored the whole 5.

We competed at a varsity event this weekend and on the first day we got a 4.6 in basing because we had 7 stunts with 3 fronts spots on them. In another sequence we do 8 stunts with no front spots. I thought that because we are doing these 8 stunts with the maximum number of athletes we would get the full 5. On day 2 we took off all but one of the front spots and we scored the whole 5.

My question on this would be what stunt did you do with the 8 groups vs what stunt did you do with the 7 groups? I would be mad if someone got a 5 on basing if their "elite" section had front spots on them just because they put up a "numbers" stunt that went straight up and came straight back down.

My question on this would be what stunt did you do with the 8 groups vs what stunt did you do with the 7 groups? I would be mad if someone got a 5 on basing if their "elite" section had front spots on them just because they put up a "numbers" stunt that went straight up and came straight back down.

It is not as hard as our elite section. We go straight up but we cradle out of the one leg which is a level 3 skill and we backwalkover out which is also a level 3 skill. They don't really tell you that you need to do anything hard. All they say is-
Most of the stunts use a standard number of bases, do not include front spots, and are performed by a maximum number of athletes.

And that's what we do. On a jambrands score sheet we just need to do the 8 stunts to max out.
We still have 4 out of our 7 main stunts that do everything without fronts.
I just feel like there were so many inconsistencies with the scoring at the varsity event we went to last weekend.

It is not as hard as our elite section. We go straight up but we cradle out of the one leg which is a level 3 skill and we backwalkover out which is also a level 3 skill. They don't really tell you that you need to do anything hard. All they say is-
Most of the stunts use a standard number of bases, do not include front spots, and are performed by a maximum number of athletes.

And that's what we do. On a jambrands score sheet we just need to do the 8 stunts to max out.
We still have 4 out of our 7 main stunts that do everything without fronts.
I just feel like there were so many inconsistencies with the scoring at the varsity event we went to last weekend.

I definitely think there needs to be consistency that's for sure and clarity!! If a "numbers" stunt will get you your basing score, then where do you get your advantage over your competitor for not having front spots on your elite stunt? They just need to be specific and then be consistent! :)

I definitely think there needs to be consistency that's for sure and clarity!! If a "numbers" stunt will get you your basing score, then where do you get your advantage over your competitor for not having front spots on your elite stunt? They just need to be specific and then be consistent! :)

I agree completely!!

We went to Cheersport this weekend and did a triple toe forward roll, and a pike-hurdler-toe touch combination and scored at the lowest end of the high range (we're in youth 1). I would assume that two triple jump combinations should score higher than a triple jump and one other single jump. No comments on how to increase the difficulty score.

Also wasn't really clear on the basing score as we received no comments on it. We got a 4.9. I have 14 girls on the team and we do 4 gut level stunts (2 groups of 4, 2 groups of 3) and 3 prep level stunts, 2 with front spots. We've never had a problem maxing out on quantities on any other scoresheet.

We went to Cheersport this weekend and did a triple toe forward roll, and a pike-hurdler-toe touch combination and scored at the lowest end of the high range (we're in youth 1). I would assume that two triple jump combinations should score higher than a triple jump and one other single jump. No comments on how to increase the difficulty score.

Also wasn't really clear on the basing score as we received no comments on it. We got a 4.9. I have 14 girls on the team and we do 4 gut level stunts (2 groups of 4, 2 groups of 3) and 3 prep level stunts, 2 with front spots. We've never had a problem maxing out on quantities on any other scoresheet.

Huh? :eek:. That's crazy to me.

From what I've been reading, you need to do a variety quad jump combo with some sort of movement to max out.

Maxing on the basing category, you need to remove the front spots. HOWEVER, it seems that the scores are pretty much meaningless from competition to competition. They mean something different everywhere.

Back