Junior High?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Twinklestars

Cheer Parent
Sep 11, 2013
So, 6th, 7th, and 8th grades...they have a girl who wants to be a back spot, but is on the shorter side. When they put the flyer up into an extension, she can't reach the flyer's ankles. She compensates by holding the bases wrists. The bases are supporting the stunt with no stabilization from the back spot.

Legal?

It's legal, the backspot doesn't have to hold on to the stunt, just be in a position to catch from a legalities standpoint. I have a similar situation at the high school level, I put my shorter backspot with my stronger group as they need less help actually lifting.

It's legal, the backspot doesn't have to hold on to the stunt, just be in a position to catch from a legalities standpoint. I have a similar situation at the high school level, I put my shorter backspot with my stronger group as they need less help actually lifting.

To clarify, being "in a position to catch" means not under the stunt. Sometimes shorter back spots will try to compensate for lack of height by getting all up under the stunt and really trying to help the bases (can't fault them for that - good effort!) but you want to make sure that, for legality purposes, the spot isn't under the stunt. I'm sure @MHSCheercoach knows that (don't want to imply she was wrong at all!) but I just wanted to be clear.

To clarify, being "in a position to catch" means not under the stunt. Sometimes shorter back spots will try to compensate for lack of height by getting all up under the stunt and really trying to help the bases (can't fault them for that - good effort!) but you want to make sure that, for legality purposes, the spot isn't under the stunt. I'm sure @MHSCheercoach knows that (don't want to imply she was wrong at all!) but I just wanted to be clear.
Exactly, no spot can be under the stunt. I teach my shorter backspot to grab the bases back wrists. With their arms extended it's nearly impossible to be "under the stunt".

I spent time as a short backspot & that's what I had to do. Grab the bases wrists, lift from there & help stabilise. Can't do much else if your short!

Would you do this if you had a taller backspot that could reach without difficulty?

Short girl usually bases, but aspires to do almost anything else!

Back