All-Star Just A Thought…

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you have any suggestions on how to eliminate the difficulty ranges? Jw...

I think that is 100% necessary to have difficulty ranges because some teams go above and beyond what is required to get in to the high range and they need to be rewarded for that. Also, that range allows for creativity and pushes our teams to not settle for just the 2-3 required elite skills. Coaches need a reason to be pushing the grey area and coming up with new and creative skills, and should be appropriately rewarded for it.

DaniV, I never said to eliminate the range I'm not sure why you think I did? If you read my first post you will find my issue is only with day 2 scoring and how I think the scores should be subject to change based on human error and maybe feeling as if a team was scored too low day 1 even though they may have hit the high range.

Do you have any suggestions on how to eliminate the difficulty ranges? Jw...

I think that is 100% necessary to have difficulty ranges because some teams go above and beyond what is required to get in to the high range and they need to be rewarded for that. Also, that range allows for creativity and pushes our teams to not settle for just the 2-3 required elite skills. Coaches need a reason to be pushing the grey area and coming up with new and creative skills, and should be appropriately rewarded for it.

Also your point about pushing the grey area is exactly my point!!! I'm talking about teams that may have been scored too low but still in the high range because they performed maybe first in their division. If the judges feel that they should be higher in the range day 2 I think they should be able to change that. At the competitions I have gone to they specifically told the coaches that if their stunts hit both days doing all the elements the difficulty score would not change from day 1 to day 2 unless another element was then added. That's where my issue is. If a judge felt that he/she maybe scored a team too low in diff they should be able to change it "within the range". I never said anything about getting rid of the range, I think that's the best thing about the score sheet! I love it!

This is how I look at difficulty - if you preform 1 full up w/ fronts you did it, so you are on the low end of the range, if you do full squad (1 flyer, 1 back, 2 bases) and do a full up and use all people, you are mid. If you do full squad, 1 1/2 up to prep and then do full up to top then you are higher. Add your level appropriate dismount, 1 puts you in range, 2 puts you in higher range and add single based skills, and hit your minimum body positions, then you are high.

If the team does 1 skill in range, they score in the high range, but the more you add and the less bases and more dismounts/body positions/inversions, then it goes up.

I would suggest showing full up and 1 1/2 to prep, however, my opinion is if it's not majority, do not use one of those skills.

DaniV, I never said to eliminate the range I'm not sure why you think I did? If you read my first post you will find my issue is only with day 2 scoring and how I think the scores should be subject to change based on human error and maybe feeling as if a team was scored too low day 1 even though they may have hit the high range.

ahhh my mistake. I misunderstood what you were saying, I was thinking that you were suggesting they get rid of the ranges. Now I understand what you mean, and that raises and interesting point. I see where both sides are coming from... from a judges standpoint there needs to be consistency from day 1 to day 2, but I also understand where you are coming from. My best suggestion would be to protest the score on day 1 but that also probably would not yield any results... tough situation

While I like the idea of jr restricted 5 in theory, if a junior aged athlete isn't fully ready for level 5, why do they need to go level 5 that season? Why not stay level 4 for the year and work on perfecting level 5 skills in the gym? They still have a quite a few years left in the sport and don't need to rush to a level 5 team.

While I like the idea of jr restricted 5 in theory, if a junior aged athlete isn't fully ready for level 5, why do they need to go level 5 that season? Why not stay level 4 for the year and work on perfecting level 5 skills in the gym? They still have a quite a few years left in the sport and don't need to rush to a level 5 team.
This is my first year paying any attention to J5 and I feel like it already has room for the kids referenced here. I have yet to see a J5 (I'm sure Rays Green and ECE are in this mix I just haven't seen them this year) where the team has squad fulls and doubles. Most j5s I've watched so far have level 5 stunting, squad layouts and varying proportions of those kids who are spinning. So if you don't have a competition ready full yet I still feel like you can be on a J5 and that team will be competitive with the others because they all seem to be that way. For what there are of them anyway. It's hard enough to find competition for J5 I'm excited there are multiple teams in Indy but were having to board a plane to get there. Splitting that division up would mean no one would ever get competition.

I concur with this suggestion! I really feel that a restricted junior 5 division would be very beneficial for athletes! Not only would they still get level 5 training for a season, but be better prepared by the time they reach a true senior level 5 team. I feel as if this would also prevent many injuries from athletes that are pushed to throw skills that they are not ready for. Just my opinion. lol
:p

I agree with you in holding back the athletes who are not ready yet. I just think it would be a good idea to build the basic skills of level 5 for kids who need that year of learning. It would also give more kids a chance to be level 5 who maybe don't have the total package for a competitive level 5 team. I also think for smaller gyms who have a strong j4 team and would love to be j5 but do not do so because they would never win against "stronger gyms" then this would be a GREAT building block for them.

Back