All-Star K Bands Vs. Cheerbandz

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

rdavis4

Cheer Parent
Oct 12, 2015
Anyone have experience with either? My CP is six and on a tiny level 1 team (second year) but has been begging to get something to do at home to work on jumps and her tumbling. She has all of her level 1 skills on both legs and is ready to move on to something a little more challenging.

I'm wondering if the bands will be too big for her though; she's about 4 ft and weighs 41 pounds. She currently works out with me daily, so she has the strength. I was also wondering if anyone had experience with the level tumbling videos from Cheerbandz? Any thoughts/opinions welcome!

Thanks!

Honestly, anything past LVL 1 tumbling and she needs to be in a gym with trained coaches who can spot her. We own a few mats that CP and DP will play around on, but I draw the line at anything LVL 2 and above. DH used bands after knee surgery and I've caught CP using them a few times but each time always seemed to hurt herself.

I'd skip the bands and videos personally and go with a trampoline.

Honestly, anything past LVL 1 tumbling and she needs to be in a gym with trained coaches who can spot her. We own a few mats that CP and DP will play around on, but I draw the line at anything LVL 2 and above. DH used bands after knee surgery and I've caught CP using them a few times but each time always seemed to hurt herself.

I'd skip the bands and videos personally and go with a trampoline.
She has a trampoline lol....on it every day! I'm looking more into the jumps, those are a hot mess. I did find a cool free app with good drills so we might just start there!

She has a trampoline lol....on it every day! I'm looking more into the jumps, those are a hot mess. I did find a cool free app with good drills so we might just start there!

If she's worried, have her work on her core strength and her jumps will naturally get better---that and stretching. However, given the age I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.

She's six and on a Tiny team, so if she wants something to do at home, she can stretch and jump without anything "extra" needed. Anything having to do with learning tumbling over level 1 should be with a trained coach. Most importantly, as the parent, relax and just let her have fun.

She's six and on a Tiny team, so if she wants something to do at home, she can stretch and jump without anything "extra" needed. Anything having to do with learning tumbling over level 1 should be with a trained coach. Most importantly, as the parent, relax and just let her have fun.
Please know this isn't me, this is my daughter and her personality. She begs for privates, wants to go to every open gym, works out with me every day (lifts weights and runs 1-2 miles), and is the same way with everything she does, not just cheer. She asks for homework from me every night too lol. As a parent, I have no idea how to help. She didn't learn the basics last year at her old gym and is just totally lost with jumps. Arms, legs, everything. I am clueless on how to help. I did find a good app with stretches she can do and drills specifically for jumps so I think that will help. Hard to tell your kid no when they are wanting to better themselves!

Probably shouldn't be weight training a 6 yo. It probably isn't good for her body no matter how much she wants it.
Her weights are under 3 pounds. I guess it depends on the child, but I feel comfortable letting her do my videos with me and picking up some 3 pound weights. Her coaches actually recommended it for strengthening her arms.

Her weights are under 3 pounds. I guess it depends on the child, but I feel comfortable letting her do my videos with me and picking up some 3 pound weights. Her coaches actually recommended it for strengthening her arms.

Talk to a physical therapist and an orthopedic surgeon; bring a snack and bottle of water for the lecture you will endure. I speak from experience. She should be doing absolutely zero weight training at her age; no weight is small enough.

Trust me, I have that kid with that same drive who wants to do everything and continues to beg for more. You have to learn to say no, if you don't, the only one it hurts is her in the long run.

*Forget Cheerlebrity status, we need a TeamMomlebrity Award Show*

Last edited:
At 6, I wouldn't suggest more than stretching. Maybe (and that's a huge maybe) some light core work. Weight training can seriously impact her growth plates if she does it wrong. And what's good for you (videos) may not be good for her.

Talk to a physical therapist and an orthopedic surgery; bring a snack and bottle of water for the lecture you will endure. I speak from experience. She should be doing absolutely zero weight training at her age; no weight is small enough.

Trust me, I have that kid with that same drive who wants to do everything and continues to beg for more. You have to learn to say no, if you don't, the only one it hurts is her in the long run.

*Forget Cheerlebrity status, we need a TeamMomlebrity Award Show*

Exactly. When kids are 6 they don't know what they want or really what's good for them. My child would like cookies for every meal. I'd almost say she has this insatiable drive to ask for cookies for every meal. Doesn't mean she gets them. This is where we gotta step in and parent correctly (good on you btw).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. When kids are 6 they don't know what they want or really what's good for them. My child would like cookies for every meal. I'd almost say she has this insatiable drive to ask for cookies for every meal. Doesn't mean she gets them. This is where we gotta step in and parent correctly (good on you btw).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup and it's also a complete 'Monkey see, Monkey do," situation; which has it's own pros and cons. In my case, I was thankful it didn't take CP getting hurt for me to say the wrong thing to the right people who then proceeded to tell me, albeit nicely, what she should and should not be doing.

Thanks for all your input! I guess I figured if she's six and lifting a 40 pound kid onto her shoulders, she could do some light exercise with me as well. We will just do the stretches and drills we found for jumps :)

There are definitely safe and effective resistance strength training exercises for children, even as young as 5-6. But, I would not recommend doing them on your own at home. Even the slightest error in technique could cause injury so if strengthening is necessary I would do it with professional supervision, preferably a physical therapist as that is what we are trained to do.

There are definitely safe and effective resistance strength training exercises for children, even as young as 5-6. But, I would not recommend doing them on your own at home. Even the slightest error in technique could cause injury so if strengthening is necessary I would do it with professional supervision, preferably a physical therapist as that is what we are trained to do.
Thank you! I appreciate everyone's advice!

Back