Kinder Cheer Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 13, 2017
So Im new to the boards. This is only my 3rd post... :)

I am a cheer mom and coach of a rec team. Our program is for grades K-9 and we are only a 6 month program. The biggest issue I see with most of our girls is that they do not have the basics especially for girls who have never cheered before...i believe in perfection before progression..which made me think of a kinder cheer program focusing on teaching kids the basics starting from ages 3-8. Im working with a gym on getting classes started. wanted to know thoughts or ideas?

TIA!
:)

As long as the program takes into account the recommended ages for tumbling (like backbends) it sounds like a cool idea. Have you survey'd your parents to see if there is interest?

I personally believe in a good balance of kindness and discipline. I'm all for this idea as long as it helps instill a strong work ethic and a drive to continue forward because each athlete's progression will be slowed and hindered without these traits but will be put on a fast-track if they're motivated enough. 3-8 is a very impressionable age range so establishing the values of an advanced cheerleader could mean the difference between someone who never pushes their athletic ability beyond their comfort zone and a world champion!

As long as the program takes into account the recommended ages for tumbling (like backbends) it sounds like a cool idea. Have you survey'd your parents to see if there is interest?

yes we would break them down into smaller age groups. yes i have interested parents on our mini team. the problem i see with some programs and coaches is that because a cheer season is only 6 months, the girls are getting frustrated and some do not want to cheer anymore because the coaches are pushing a routine that for most is too difficult for them at that age. i have tried to talk to the director but unfortunately nothing was done. I initially suggested clinics on the off season or picking smaller comps but ....no deal.

Thanks for your reply :)

yes we would break them down into smaller age groups. yes i have interested parents on our mini team. the problem i see with some programs and coaches is that because a cheer season is only 6 months, the girls are getting frustrated and some do not want to cheer anymore because the coaches are pushing a routine that for most is too difficult for them at that age. i have tried to talk to the director but unfortunately nothing was done. I initially suggested clinics on the off season or picking smaller comps but ....no deal.

Thanks for your reply :)

When my CP was younger (she's young now, but more tiny age at this point) we had a gym near us that offered classes over the summer and I really liked those. She learned a lot about the different aspects of the routine. Would they be open to that?

When my CP was younger (she's young now, but more tiny age at this point) we had a gym near us that offered classes over the summer and I really liked those. She learned a lot about the different aspects of the routine. Would they be open to that?
yes some parents would be. we just don't have a gym in our area that offered them.

I think that if there are programs out there like this that tailor to the beginners who have maybe never thought that cheer could be an option for their child, it would be awesome! Cheer is emerging all over and kids starting out just need a chance to try it out! My sister began cheer by going to a tots gymnastics class, which led to her being noticed at the gym by the cheer program coach and we've never looked back. She's still a young athlete at age 10 now, but at 5 years old being introduced to the sport was a great experience for her.

Back