All-Star Kony 2012

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i didn't watch the video but kind of heard what was going on with this...like what is wrong with this man????? geeze, so sad

(Sorry this is kinda long) I have been so pleasantly surprised about the outpouring of support for this issue by everyone I know. I saw the video posted at least 100 times on Facebook last night, multiple people I know have been purchasing kits, and our student's council is already in talks of bringing a representative from IC to speak to our school. I have briefly heard about IC over the past few years, but this video made me really open my eyes and realize the true impact that IC has had and could continue to have with more and more support.
I saw a lot of negative comments as well, comments like "buying a bracelet won't bring down a man they haven't been able to catch for 26 years", or comments like "anything you do is useless unless you're going to go there and kill him yourself" and I had something to say about that, and I figured here may be a good place to start as there are probably some on this board thinking the same thing, or who don't have a side picked. This "revolution" for lack of a better word, that has started is about more than just arresting Kony, more than just freeing the child soldiers and achieving some level of peace and civility in Uganda. This movement is showing young kids, teenagers, adults, and the government that there IS something to be done. Not just in Uganda, although this one campaign is focusing there, but elsewhere too. Look at this insane support that has been raised just over 24 hours. Imagine what other things could change worldwide because a few spoke up and a few decided to make change. You can relate it to anything, to your school, to cheerleading, even to a 26 year long tragedy occurring somewhere you barely know. If you can take one major thing from this campaign, this video, this public support, then take what I have taken from it, that just because you may be one among 7 billion does not mean that what you say and what you do could not someday change the world. THAT to me is what this is about. I'm not undermining the importance of bringing this man to justice, but it's a lesson I've learned from seeing the amazing support shown. Rant over.

If you dont feel like sitting through the entire 30 min, the main part starts around 9min and the other important part starts around 20 min.

(Sorry this is kinda long) I have been so pleasantly surprised about the outpouring of support for this issue by everyone I know. I saw the video posted at least 100 times on Facebook last night, multiple people I know have been purchasing kits, and our student's council is already in talks of bringing a representative from IC to speak to our school. I have briefly heard about IC over the past few years, but this video made me really open my eyes and realize the true impact that IC has had and could continue to have with more and more support.
I saw a lot of negative comments as well, comments like "buying a bracelet won't bring down a man they haven't been able to catch for 26 years", or comments like "anything you do is useless unless you're going to go there and kill him yourself" and I had something to say about that, and I figured here may be a good place to start as there are probably some on this board thinking the same thing, or who don't have a side picked. This "revolution" for lack of a better word, that has started is about more than just arresting Kony, more than just freeing the child soldiers and achieving some level of peace and civility in Uganda. This movement is showing young kids, teenagers, adults, and the government that there IS something to be done. Not just in Uganda, although this one campaign is focusing there, but elsewhere too. Look at this insane support that has been raised just over 24 hours. Imagine what other things could change worldwide because a few spoke up and a few decided to make change. You can relate it to anything, to your school, to cheerleading, even to a 26 year long tragedy occurring somewhere you barely know. If you can take one major thing from this campaign, this video, this public support, then take what I have taken from it, that just because you may be one among 7 billion does not mean that what you say and what you do could not someday change the world. THAT to me is what this is about. I'm not undermining the importance of bringing this man to justice, but it's a lesson I've learned from seeing the amazing support shown. Rant over.
Well said, plus the video clearly states what they do with the money, why they are 'taking the night' and show our older generation that we can do more, it really is a shame that there are so many people who just can't join together and fight such a noble cause. Hopefully when everything works out we can start on other things that are just as important. like Cheerleading in the 2016 Olympics... lol

Well said, plus the video clearly states what they do with the money, why they are 'taking the night' and show our older generation tat we can do more. Hopefully when everything works out we can start on other things that are just as important. like Cheerleading in the 2016 Olympics... lol

I'm hoping sarcasm was intended with your "just as important" statement.... :p
Anyways I agree. It would be interesting to see if a movement like this can translate into organized "rebellion" (I can't think of good words today) in cheerleading.

I'm hoping sarcasm was intended with your "just as important" statement.... :p
Anyways I agree. It would be interesting to see if a movement like this can translate into organized "rebellion" (I can't think of good words today) in cheerleading.
Lol, yes definitely! I know once I typed it in I really started to brainstorm on how I could make people think it was something that needed some serious attention for all Cheerleaders around the world...

I can't believe this has taken so long to get the support that it is getting. I did a huge research project during undergrad on this very topic including the Invisible Children project almost 4 years ago. I guess it is better late then never but I truly hope people take this seriously because it is a very serious subject.

I also highly suggest watching the actual Invisible Children documentary, that youtube video is basically the trailer for it. I got to watch it in class but I am trying to figure out how to get a copy of it.

Another way you can support these children is by supporting the charity The African Childrens Choir. They started in Uganda about 30 years ago and have been helping orphaned and vulnerable children from there, and other African countries, ever since. A large part of their Ugandan choirs are made up of Orphans due to the civil war continued by the LRA and to hear the stories of their experiences damn well near breaks your heart. I have worked with the ACC as a volunteer for 8 years now and I cannot recommend enough the work they do. It isn't enough, it is no where near enough; but their motto is 'Helping Africa one child at a time' and thats what they are doing. They cannot magically eradicate the situation but they can help in the aftermath.

I urge you to check out their concert dates as they have a couple of choirs touring the US and Canada at the moment. It will change your life - it did mine, in SO many ways.

The thing that has been bothering me is the amount of people (on Facebook) going out of their way to discredit IC and the KONY2012 movement. One person actually commented that because he had moved out of Uganda and into the Congo that the we should just "let it go". Really? So if someone came into your home and kidnapped your child, forced them into warfare but then moved into the next state over...you should get over it? It doesn't matter where he is or what he is doing right now...if we hunt down Nazi war criminals to this day and prosecute them why would we let him go? And because he is "starving" and "losing support" we should find another cause more worthy? Bin Laden was on dialysis everyday from 9/11 to the day we put a bullet in him...did we stop? NO. So why would we stop with this?

The thing that just leaves me in shock the most is if happened once to one child in the US. if one child was abducted and forced to kill their parents it would be everywhere all over the media people in this country would flip a whig. The fact that this has been going on for 10 years to over 30,000 children and most people have no idea about it is what floors me the most.

I strongly urge anyone to look past the criticism and do your own research. Often times what people post on Facebook is all just something they've heard somewhere else, but not actually bothered to do the research on. Not everything you're going to read about IC is positive, it never is when it comes to not-for-profit organizations, and although the statistics may be startling, they are actually rather good compared to many of the top "helpful" organizations in the world. I don't fully support IC, I'll be honest about that, but the intention behind what they're doing is great, and I fully support that, providing it goes down the correct way.
Once again, don't believe all the hearsay that goes on.

Back