All-Star Kt Tape

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I got it at the big name pharmacy that we have here..so maybe CVS would carry it there? If you go to kttape.com there is a search feature on the website somewhere where you can find where to buy closest to you!

The regular barely stayed on me for a few hours with no physical activity. I also recommend the pro

Sent from my Galaxy S III

I sprained for ankle last year in the middle of comp season so no time for rest. my physo just told me to strap it. So it did with regular tape but it resticked it that much I couldnt jump off it so jumping and also tumbling was an issue.
I switched to KT tape so it gave me the support I needed and it was flexible enough so i can move my ankle the way I needed to.
I did have to put regular strapping take over the joins to make it stick for the whole training session

ShoWStoppeR I could be wrong but I thought therapists had to get specially trained in KT application? Anytime you are displacing muscles or trying to support a tendon, you should really get professional application or at least have someone walk you through it. My youngest is a diver and uses it for her back because she hurt it doing fulls off the board, I don't apply it though, I have her pedi ortho do it and the pro stays on for quite a while!

My daughter hurt her knee a few weeks ago. My BF is a physio and bought her KT in our team colors :)
It stays on for 2-3 days.
She feels like it helps while practise, so i take back that i don´t believe in it ;-)
It just didn´t help me.

I partially tore ligaments in my ankle and have been taping it ever since I've been recovered because I still fill like its weak and I'm very cautious. That is one thing I don't like about regular tape, it doesn't stretch. I mean yes it's good for stability but I feel like my ankle is never going to regain strength if I constantly have it taped and constricted. The way the KT tape supports but still stretches is what I like.

As an athletic trainer, let me give you a word of caution here. Taping is great for exactly what you say: stability. What HAS to be done in conjunction with that is rehabilitation of the joint. Too many people focus only on taping while the swelling goes down, then blame taping for weakness that results. if you have an injury, you tape to protect the damaged ligaments was they heal, but you have to strengthen the muscles around the joint to get that strength back. After injury, you will lose strength, but you can get that back. Tape is merely a fill in for your own body parts when they are ready to support your body weight again. It is not intended (nor is a brace, for that matter) to be used forever, unless you completely tear ligaments (grade 3 sprain) and choose not to have surgery to reconstruct them.

That being said, KT tape is designed for support of muscle-tendon structures that are inflamed or damaged, NOT for joint stability. If the joint feels unstable, you should stay with traditional taping or get yourself a good brace (the ASO brace is awesome) until you can complete enough rehab to strengthen your ankle stabilizing muscles and they can do the tape's job for you, and for free!

Good luck!

ShoWStoppeR I could be wrong but I thought therapists had to get specially trained in KT application? Anytime you are displacing muscles or trying to support a tendon, you should really get professional application or at least have someone walk you through it. My youngest is a diver and uses it for her back because she hurt it doing fulls off the board, I don't apply it though, I have her pedi ortho do it and the pro stays on for quite a while!

They ARE supposed to go through training in how to apply KT tape. Too many health care "professionals" are buying it and applying it without the true knowledge of how it is supposed to be done. They could end up doing more harm than good if that is the case. I liken it to the dentists who have gone to a 2 day seminar and suddenly have a certificate and offer cosmetic surgery options to their patients (I know it sounds ridiculous, but google it, it really does happen). If you choose to use it, make sure they have been trained. I have not paid for the classes, so i do not offer the KT option to my athletes.

**If anyone wants to sponsor me going to KT training, I will gladly take them up on it!! :)**

you are right. we actually have certain competencies to get signed off on for taping techniques. That's why for me, it's my worst nightmare to see this stuff readily available to people, because I'll tell you right now, 99.9% of them are probably A. applying it wrong, putting themselves at further risk for injury or B. using it for something that it has absolutely no effect on. and let me tell you, that stuff is not cheap.

The number of girls I see using kt tape in team colours to strap their wrists… and then they wonder why I don't take their "injuries" seriously.
This. Warning this may sound snarky but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a whole sub group of kids that seem to believe if you're taped up, braced up or otherwise that apparently makes you a more fierce athlete. Huh? I don't get this whole mentality.

I'm not talking about the kid with a legit injury that wears their brace etc for the necessary time while going to rehab and then you never see it again, I'm talking about the ones that tape or brace things for every single practice...for years. You know who these people are. Or the parents that bring a bag of braces and every little tweak requires a new support...for at least half the season..., per Dr. Mom.

Number one, if you walk out on the floor with two wrists taped, an ankle brace and KT tape on your knee, I don't say "wow! That kid must be amazing!" I wait for (what I'm assuming) will be a train wreck in running tumbling, and number two.., if you're doing it to get attention.,

You're getting the wrong kind.

Wouldn't you rather get attention for being a great athlete than the one that always appears "injured?" Who wants to look like the weak link season after season?

And three? If you are hurting that much all the time, you should call a physician, get an athletic trainer or find a new program that knows how to teach correct technique. Because if it hurts all the time, you need to start back over at the beginning with the right technique before you end up with major issues.

I don't know about anyone else but ill admit I'm judgmental. I expect to see a brace here and there... That's normal. But when half a team comes out braced up and taped up.... That's when I start judging the quality of coaching in that gym. Fair or not, that reflects on the people teaching them and I'm not sending my kids to a place that looks like a recruiting center for orthopedic care.

12stepCheermom preach momma! Agreed. I see more injuries with my lower level teams than higher levels. I think a lot has to do with the mentality that injuries make you seem more "hardcore". I finally told one team where half were claiming injuries to get out of various elements (can't tumble, can't base, but I can fly!) that I would be forced to run conditioning for most of their practice. If there were that many getting hurt from low level cheer, then clearly their bodies were not up to the stresses of what I was asking them to do, and it would be unprofessional for me as a coach to let them continue at the risk of further injury… miracles happen and we were back at almost full team participation next practice ;)

12stepCheermom preach momma! Agreed. I see more injuries with my lower level teams than higher levels. I think a lot has to do with the mentality that injuries make you seem more "hardcore". I finally told one team where half were claiming injuries to get out of various elements (can't tumble, can't base, but I can fly!) that I would be forced to run conditioning for most of their practice. If there were that many getting hurt from low level cheer, then clearly their bodies were not up to the stresses of what I was asking them to do, and it would be unprofessional for me as a coach to let them continue at the risk of further injury… miracles happen and we were back at almost full team participation next practice ;)
Brilliant! My real pet peeve are drama queens. I just don't do drama, especially from "athletes." If its a legit injury, no worries. That happens, treat it correctly under doctors care and get back in the game. If its just drama...I've apparently been like this too long as my 12 y/o princess was venting in the car about a drama queen and said, "OMG! Just rub some dirt on it and suck it up! We have practice!"

Yeah, she gets that honestly,

#sorrynotsorry

I feel like taping of any kind, braces etc. should not be applied unless recommended by a professional that knows how to use them. Cheer dr's (also known as moms and sometimes coaches with no trainer experience) can do more harm than good. Taping/bracing is great for stability if/when needed. But please be smart!

This. Warning this may sound snarky but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a whole sub group of kids that seem to believe if you're taped up, braced up or otherwise that apparently makes you a more fierce athlete. Huh? I don't get this whole mentality.

I'm not talking about the kid with a legit injury that wears their brace etc for the necessary time while going to rehab and then you never see it again, I'm talking about the ones that tape or brace things for every single practice...for years. You know who these people are. Or the parents that bring a bag of braces and every little tweak requires a new support...for at least half the season..., per Dr. Mom.

Number one, if you walk out on the floor with two wrists taped, an ankle brace and KT tape on your knee, I don't say "wow! That kid must be amazing!" I wait for (what I'm assuming) will be a train wreck in running tumbling, and number two.., if you're doing it to get attention.,

You're getting the wrong kind.

Wouldn't you rather get attention for being a great athlete than the one that always appears "injured?" Who wants to look like the weak link season after season?

And three? If you are hurting that much all the time, you should call a physician, get an athletic trainer or find a new program that knows how to teach correct technique. Because if it hurts all the time, you need to start back over at the beginning with the right technique before you end up with major issues.

I don't know about anyone else but ill admit I'm judgmental. I expect to see a brace here and there... That's normal. But when half a team comes out braced up and taped up.... That's when I start judging the quality of coaching in that gym. Fair or not, that reflects on the people teaching them and I'm not sending my kids to a place that looks like a recruiting center for orthopedic care.
If I could shimmy this a thousand times I would.
You earn a Justin shimmy x 10 :shimmy::shimmy: I love your response.

Back