All-Star Kudos/brag Post!! Add Yours Too!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know some people on here know this, but last year I got seriously hurt doing a level 3 specialty pass. It wasn't even a big deal for me to throw that pass. I never had any issues with it, and tucks are so easy to me. Well I'm on level 4 this year and I've gained back basically ALL of my tumbling. And, tonight, for the first time since my injury, I did the pass I got hurt on (and bounced back for fun). I know this doesn't seem like a big deal- especially for someone who's working on fulls again- but to me, this is huge. I've had such bad mental blocks from that fall, and now I've finally thrown what scares me most. :)

I did my standing tuck on my own, into the pit.
I'm absolutley scared of pits for some reason, I can't fathom. But yesterday, I was in the gym on my own for a couple of minutes and just went for it.
And i even managed to land in a standing position despite the soft mats, I was jumping off of.

I know it's not big for most people, but it is for me! :cheering:

I know some people on here know this, but last year I got seriously hurt doing a level 3 specialty pass. It wasn't even a big deal for me to throw that pass. I never had any issues with it, and tucks are so easy to me. Well I'm on level 4 this year and I've gained back basically ALL of my tumbling. And, tonight, for the first time since my injury, I did the pass I got hurt on (and bounced back for fun). I know this doesn't seem like a big deal- especially for someone who's working on fulls again- but to me, this is huge. I've had such bad mental blocks from that fall, and now I've finally thrown what scares me most. :)

So proud of you!!!!! :) your amazing...

:)

So far this summer session we have graduated 3 athletes from the P2P class - a class for athletes returning from injuries and mental challenges/blocks back to their regular level tumbling classes and are back tumbling on their appropriate level teams. So grateful that the gym did not think it was a waste of time to have this type of class or that these kids should just suck it up or take privates until they get the skills back!

So far this summer session we have graduated 3 athletes from the P2P class - a class for athletes returning from injuries and mental challenges/blocks back to their regular level tumbling classes and are back tumbling on their appropriate level teams. So grateful that the gym did not think it was a waste of time to have this type of class or that these kids should just suck it up or take privates until they get the skills back!

This is such a great idea and more gyms should offer this type of program. I broke my hand in May doing a ro bhs tuck and am absolutely terrified of tucks. I've done handsprings since, but I can't bring myself to do a tuck even with a spot or on the trampoline. I'm really not afraid of the actual skill it's more that I'm afraid of getting hurt again. But I'm sure I, along with many others, would benefit from a class like this.

What a great idea for a class. I read this and thought about a dozen athletes off the top of my head that would benefit from this. Kudos to your gym for offering this.

This is such a great idea and more gyms should offer this type of program. I broke my hand in May doing a ro bhs tuck and am absolutely terrified of tucks. I've done handsprings since, but I can't bring myself to do a tuck even with a spot or on the trampoline. I'm really not afraid of the actual skill it's more that I'm afraid of getting hurt again. But I'm sure I, along with many others, would benefit from a class like this.
What a great idea for a class. I read this and thought about a dozen athletes off the top of my head that would benefit from this. Kudos to your gym for offering this.

I am grateful for being allowed to have this class. I have suggested it before at other places I have worked and it was dismissed as not being worth it, they could just take privates, it would feed into the athlete's need for special attention, I was being too soft on the athletes, etc. I understand that fear is real and not everyone can deal with it the exact same way. Some you can push and others you must lead away from their fears. It makes no sense to yell and scream at an athlete to throw a skill when they are terrified (to use my language) that an airplane will crash into the building, a dinosour will devour them, and they will never be seen or heard from again :D - especially when there are real triggers - injuries, growth spurts, puberty, stress levels at home, personal health issues, etc. Until you have dealt with those triggers, you have no reason to raise your voice no matter how frustrated you are as a coach.

The class is a maximum of five athletes. The best thing is that these athletes don't lose their spot on their team - removing one of the triggers. Removing them from their regular level tumbling class removes the pressure of seeing their peers do so easily what they were doing and feeling bad about themselves. If they dont have the money for privates, they are still getting the help they need which IMO is a great customer service response. They leave the gym happy about what they are doing and wanting to return. The class is a fun class with lots of laughing and jokes. They are often surprised when they start doing the skills again because they just think they are having a good time. They encourage each other because they all are in the same boat. They don't let the others quit. Which is the beauty of it all.

We piloted the class during the Spring with one class. Of those five four graduated and one stopped cheering but wrote the most beautiful card to me for taking the time to help her. Gave it to me at our year end Gym Banquet and had everyone in tears when she read it. We added a second class this summer and it looks like all will be rejoining their regular classes in the fall.

Posted by Brandon Roberts, the manager of the ACE Mississippi gym:

ACE MS Choreography went amazing today!! My favorite moment. Our Tiny team at 3pm not having a nap, one of our tiny girls fell asleep putting up a prep. She slowly dropped to the floor sound asleep. Thankfully she was a frontspot. Nevertheless I picked her up and she stayed sound sleep. Thumb in mouth and out for the day. Such a hard little worker. So proud of my girls.

Posted by Brandon Roberts, the manager of the ACE Mississippi gym:

ACE MS Choreography went amazing today!! My favorite moment. Our Tiny team at 3pm not having a nap, one of our tiny girls fell asleep putting up a prep. She slowly dropped to the floor sound asleep. Thankfully she was a frontspot. Nevertheless I picked her up and she stayed sound sleep. Thumb in mouth and out for the day. Such a hard little worker. So proud of my girls.
Awwwwww!!

This from a boy who didn't even have a forward roll (not. even. kidding) when he came to Aviator.....
Facebook
photo.php

So, the cheer prince is working on his spin (see above) at open gym and this is the discussion between him and his coach....

"coach, how do you do a whip? I want to learn one of those."

"sure, think of it like a 'too-high' handspring"

"oh, you mean like this?"

"um....yes. When did you get a whip?!"

"Apparently, 5 seconds ago."

He was throwing whips through to layout the rest of the night on the tumble track.

Back