All-Star Large Team That Should Be Medium?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you go to the next page of the age grid rules, you will see rules for Small/Medium/Large Splits - Senior Level 5 Only. These are what apply to Worlds teams, and it has 5 as the minimum number of athletes only for the small division 5-20, medium is 21-30, and large is 31-36. In addition, coed teams have the maximum male rule. And it says EP's will split as long as there are at least 2 teams. Therefore, an all girl team with 29 should have been placed in Medium, or else should have been required to add 2 additional athletes to reach the 31 minimum for Large. Otherwise, you could have a small team of 16 competing in Large and putting up 4 stunts, compared to a true Large team putting up 9 stunts, and we all know it is easier to keep 4 rather than 9 in the air.

If you go to the next page of the age grid rules, you will see rules for Small/Medium/Large Splits - Senior Level 5 Only. These are what apply to Worlds teams, and it has 5 as the minimum number of athletes only for the small division 5-20, medium is 21-30, and large is 31-36. In addition, coed teams have the maximum male rule. And it says EP's will split as long as there are at least 2 teams. Therefore, an all girl team with 29 should have been placed in Medium, or else should have been required to add 2 additional athletes to reach the 31 minimum for Large. Otherwise, you could have a small team of 16 competing in Large and putting up 4 stunts, compared to a true Large team putting up 9 stunts, and we all know it is easier to keep 4 rather than 9 in the air.
This is what I was referring to earlier. I thought it was pretty clear with the breakdown in the age grid but others felt differently. I think the difference with the Worlds team mentioned is that they had to compete in the division they earned their bid in. So it was either compete in the wrong division based on numbers or not follow the rules based on the bid received.

This is what I was referring to earlier. I thought it was pretty clear with the breakdown in the age grid but others felt differently. I think the difference with the Worlds team mentioned is that they had to compete in the division they earned their bid in. So it was either compete in the wrong division based on numbers or not follow the rules based on the bid received.
Agree. It seems others were just looking at the age grid "chart" which does list 5 as the minimum number of athletes for all divisions, so was pointing out the need to read the text after the chart to learn the exceptions for Level 5 Senior teams.

And yes, it put the team that lost athletes in a quandary. I assume they lost "impression" points for being in Large if they only had 7 stunts. (I don't know how many stunts they put up, but am just guessing.)

Based on the number of layouts in the routine I'm wondering why this team is even a level 5. I think they would have done much better as a restricted or level 4 team.

@SuzieQ I disagree you need to have the minimum number of kids to compete in a division. Please go look up Titan Cheer from Worlds 2016. They had 19 kids on the floor and competed Large Coed. Based on the age grid #'s they should have dropped to 4 boys and competed small coed. And for reference at no time this season did they have enough kids to be within the 31-36 range.

**Slip n Slide. Official sponsor of Worlds 2016**

@SuzieQ I disagree you need to have the minimum number of kids to compete in a division. Please go look up Titan Cheer from Worlds 2016. They had 19 kids on the floor and competed Large Coed. Based on the age grid #'s they should have dropped to 4 boys and competed small coed. And for reference at no time this season did they have enough kids to be within the 31-36 range.

It's because it's coed, therefore it is mainly based on the number of boys. They had more than 8, making them large. The rules for all girl vs coed 5 sizes are different.

Last edited:
@luv2cheer92 I get what you're saying but pretty sure I have heard different before on that.

Guess we should ask the expert and hope he's still readin the boards some.

@Andre can we please get a clarification on team size and division they can compete at?

Does coed vs all girl matter?

@luv2cheer92 I get what you're saying but pretty sure I have heard different before on that.

Guess we should ask the expert and hope he's still readin the boards some.

@Andre can we please get a clarification on team size and division they can compete at?

Does coed vs all girl matter?

Not trying to disagree, just going to explain my though process haha. In the grid itself, it has the coed 5 divisions broken down small/medium/large and has 5-20, 5-30, and 5-36 listed for each of those as well as the 4/8/18 for males. It does not do this for the all girl 5 divisions, instead they are all grouped together as senior 5 with 5-36 and it has a # key to look further down the page for the clarification. The clarification that the small/medium/large sizes must follow the 20/30/36 rules is only for all girl. So a large coed team can have between 5-36 athletes, but medium coed can not have more than 8 males. So Titan fits perfectly into the large coed here. But if a competition wants to split all girl into small/medium/large, they must follow the 20/30/36 unless they don't split medium and large, then it is 20/36. So an all girl team of 19 could not choose to compete in the medium or large division. This makes sense in my head at least. I would love for an expert to clarify this.

Not trying to disagree, just going to explain my though process haha. In the grid itself, it has the coed 5 divisions broken down small/medium/large and has 5-20, 5-30, and 5-36 listed for each of those as well as the 4/8/18 for males. It does not do this for the all girl 5 divisions, instead they are all grouped together as senior 5 with 5-36 and it has a # key to look further down the page for the clarification. The clarification that the small/medium/large sizes must follow the 20/30/36 rules is only for all girl. So a large coed team can have between 5-36 athletes, but medium coed can not have more than 8 males. So Titan fits perfectly into the large coed here. But if a competition wants to split all girl into small/medium/large, they must follow the 20/30/36 unless they don't split medium and large, then it is 20/36. So an all girl team of 19 could not choose to compete in the medium or large division. This makes sense in my head at least. I would love for an expert to clarify this.

I definitely see your point and it makes sense but I think it is one of those things that since the USASF doesn't very clearly state no competing up or you MUST have X number of kids unless you exceed the number of boys on the team etc...

Does that make sense? I may be having trouble explaining it.

I definitely see your point and it makes sense but I think it is one of those things that since the USASF doesn't very clearly state no competing up or you MUST have X number of kids unless you exceed the number of boys on the team etc...

Does that make sense? I may be having trouble explaining it.
My CP (and I ) are friends with the owner of Titan and his son. I had asked this question last year and was told that the amount of boys dictated the division. At that point, I just assumed that was why they competed in large.

And I saw Titan last year, I think in Atlantic City, and wondered why they were in the large division. Someone pointed out there were more than 8 boys and it hit me how it worked.

Latest posts

Back