All-Star Let's Discuss Worlds Scoring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've updated the Big Worlds Spreadsheet with score info for the divisions I could find scoresheets for (SS, MS, LS, LC) because it's not like I have a final tomorrow I should be studying for or anything... :rolleyes: Someone please feel free to check them though as typing errors are likely to happen when copying numbers from wonky bits of paper!

So could worlds not put out their own rubric? EP's/companies could decided to follow the rubric or not, but at least choreographers and coaches would know where they stand going into worlds and have a goal to work towards.

They could put out their own rubric, but I guess IDK why.

I do agree with Varsity having too small an area to fit all the scores in. Though I think that is because judges have to think in .7, .8, .9 instead of .75 or .84.

The smart way to do this would be to pick out the traits (but not the way it achieves the traits) of each scoring system that we like. And then see if we can make adjustments to fit both of those traits.

Ok so I took it into excel, did a little regression analysis on small senior. I will see if I can get something more solid to show you, but if you were go to near the end of the day as opposed to the beginning your average score would go up about @20 points. This is a score based on picking a bingo ball out of a lottery.
You can apply regression analysis to the REAL world of Worlds cheerleading???? I'll tell my cp to make sure she takes calculus as a senior after all!!!!!!

You can apply regression analysis to the REAL world of Worlds cheerleading???? I'll tell my cp to make sure she takes calculus as a senior after all!!!!!!

Umm... there is so much money in big data and statistical analysis right now. I don't know how long this bubble will last, but I would guess at least for another 30-40 years. Were just at the beginning of using all this stuff. Nate Silver is one of my heroes.

And confirmation this exists is when you make the dataset small enough judges are not as concerned with saving room. In medium coed there were so few teams competing for top 10 there was basically no advantage.

(am I the only one really enjoying this? my day job is inventory forecasting and regression analysis so I am geeking out over this a bit. )
You have time for a day job??? Do you have a family too?????

They could put out their own rubric, but I guess IDK why.

I do agree with Varsity having too small an area to fit all the scores in. Though I think that is because judges have to think in .7, .8, .9 instead of .75 or .84.

The smart way to do this would be to pick out the traits (but not the way it achieves the traits) of each scoring system that we like. And then see if we can make adjustments to fit both of those traits.

What are the different traits from each scoring system that would be beneficial? Everyone start listing the ideas/parts from scoring systems and lets put together a make-shift rubric!

You have time for a day job??? Do you have a family too?????

Haha, I do. But I am constantly connected. My job is an 'always on' one, but doesn't mean I am always working. Just always available. It affords me the freedom to be involved with cheerleading and this board. Yes I might take my laptop on vacation in case a little bit of emergency work pops up, but I can also take random vacations or just even just Tuesday off. It is a very unique lifestyle that takes some getting used to.

The whole scoring thing just baffles me. I guess I didn't realize the whole comparative thing was part of it. I looked at SSC from Semi-Finals and only 1 team (Prodigy #7) made it to finals before Brandon went in slot #19, only 1 team in the 20's which was Macs at #25, then the rest were 32, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39. I find it REALLY hard to believe that 7 of the top 10 teams just happened to get drawn to go at the end. I just think if you are at this prestigious competition it should be more of a rubric. Because you really didn't have much of a chance if you went early.

Is there ANY hope that this will change in the future??

I'm sorry if it was already posted somewhere, but does anyone know the final scores for medium coed, or better yet, scoresheet breakdown?

Ok, so here is an interesting one from Sunday for SSC. The big chart is the entire division. I expected there to be an increase over time because the paid bids were at the end. I included the partial with the paid because there were so few (3). But when I seperated out the paid bids even thought hey were in random order the scores STILL went up by an average of 20 points near the end of the paid bids (who would have been in random order). This means at Worlds good teams with paid bids at the end of the division have a 20 point advantage.

Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 12.36.47 PM.png

Umm... there is so much money in big data and statistical analysis right now. I don't know how long this bubble will last, but I would guess at least for another 30-40 years. Were just at the beginning of using all this stuff. Nate Silver is one of my heroes.

About a month ago I made a comment in one of the worlds prediction threads about having Nate Silver do large senior predictions. I think it went over the head of most people and some thought it was a joke, but for me it was an actual dream that will never come true :( #nerdprobs

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

SSC wasn't as dramatic.

BTW feel free to play along at home with your own version of excel!
Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 12.48.42 PM.png

Now the ultimate test for all this would be for someone who we trust with knowledge of judging to rewatch all of small senior and small small coed on day 1 in a different random order and see if the same result happens.

Then a REALLY fun experiment would be to have someone watch day 2 in completely random order with mixing in the paids and at larges and see what happens.

Back