High School Let's Talk Socks...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Twinklestars

Cheer Parent
Sep 11, 2013
What type of socks do you wear for games/competitions with your uniform?
What type of socks do you prefer to wear?

My cps' high school coach is wanting the girls to wear crew socks. None of the girls want to wear them. They all want to wear no show socks or the liner socks. Coach is wanting to order them from the big "V", of course.

My biggest issue is again having to buy a small item to help my two cps keep track of with all their stuff. Camp clothing, shoes, bags, and camp was about $600 each. I don't want to buy anything else unnecessary, especially since the girls don't want to wear them.

Mandatory parent/cp meeting next week. I am sure that we will discuss if the team is going to be competing--we don't have a routine or music for that. That's where the money needs to go, IMHO.

I absolutely LOVE crew socks.

I really do love them.

But we wore no-show ankle socks when I cheered (that was before I discovered the wonder of white crew socks).

Plus, I think your daughter's coach should be re-prioritizing where all of that money goes; shoes, comps and tumbling classes are the most important. Camp is unnecessary to me, you can pay to have an all-star coach come in and work with the team on stunting.

BTW if the uniform is clean and simple, then crew socks will look nice with it. If it is busy (like most high school uniforms, unfortunately) then no-show is the way to go.

Why do coaches feel the need to spend so much money?

Last edited:
They have two uniforms. One is traditional and would look okay with crew socks. The other has lots of braided trim and is the newer uniform. I would not wear crew socks with that.

Yeah, we are still talking about having a stunting clinic with an allstar coach. Only a handful of girls on the team take tumbling. There are 2/17 who are comfortable even doing a r/o bhs. They would compete in a non-tumbling division. If we get a routine...

We always more no-show socks. I love crew socks with certain uniforms. I think they really only look good with the more clean/collegiate looking uniforms. I've had to back spot people before who were wearing crew socks and I hated it. I always roll their socks down because I feel like I can't pull up as much with the socks.

It's so hard for me to not love crew socks because I watch so much UCA and most of the heavy-hitting teams wear them.

Would the kids mind wearing crew socks with a uniform like North Laurel's new one? http://lh6.ggpht.com/-qIsZeKEyPc0/USRfvuo32XI/AAAAAAABvT4/4FQ53_YGZ74/s576/R44A9476.jpg
One of their uniforms has a clean, traditional look like that. It is mostly red with a white area on the chest with the mascot name in red ( outlined in grey). They wear a white v-neck under it. Very similar look.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Love crew socks, but probably because I was a UCA College kid. That being said, there's no reason to order them from Varsity, if that's what you meant by the "Big V." I buy little boys crew socks from Target and I have an average foot size (7). You could seriously just buy a few packs and give each girl 1 or 2 pairs. It wouldn't be more than $6 a kid.

My high school in Massachusetts did knee socks. Sometimes there was a theme like one year they had a fire routine and had some with flames on them :confused:

My high school in Massachusetts did knee socks. Sometimes there was a theme like one year they had a fire routine and had some with flames on them :confused:
Oh my!

Our old school did knee socks a few years back. It was the year of the girl who altered her uniform so that her spankies showed. Ugh! Bad memories.

No show white socks, and I'm glad we do. Not a fan of the crew socks. Especially on top of $600. Why do you need to order socks from varsity? If you do no show white socks, not only do most people already own some, but they can spend what they want to. If they want to head over to walmart and buy 6 pairs for $6, fine, or if they want to spend $20 on under armour brand, that works too. It just seems like it complicates things to wear tall socks, and you have to keep track of that one pair... I can always find no show white socks bc I have a bunch, and it doesn't matter if the brands match everyone else (or for me if the under armour symbol is the same color on both feet) bc nobody can tell!

No show white socks, and I'm glad we do. Not a fan of the crew socks. Especially on top of $600. Why do you need to order socks from varsity? If you do no show white socks, not only do most people already own some, but they can spend what they want to. If they want to head over to walmart and buy 6 pairs for $6, fine, or if they want to spend $20 on under armour brand, that works too. It just seems like it complicates things to wear tall socks, and you have to keep track of that one pair... I can always find no show white socks bc I have a bunch, and it doesn't matter if the brands match everyone else (or for me if the under armour symbol is the same color on both feet) bc nobody can tell!

I am going to have to keep track of them. I hope she either changes her mind or let's us get plain ones that I can buy multiples of for my somewhat disorganized cps.

Those are the reasons I love the no-show!

Coaches should set the account limit to $250. That way, kids spend less time fundraising and more time practicing.
There was no fundraising for camp clothes. It was all out of pocket.

I think fundraising went to warm-ups. We have a few more planned, but small town and bad economy don't add up to lots of good fundraising.

There was no fundraising for camp clothes. It was all out of pocket.

I think fundraising went to warm-ups. We have a few more planned, but small town and bad economy don't add up to lots of good fundraising.

Same here. Our fundraising is going toward new uniforms and equipment.
Not to mention our camp is $200 and that's commuting, actually staying over would be $315 or something like that. So $250 wouldn't cover most teams who attend camp!

Back