Level 2 Standing Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheer25mom

Cheer Parent
Aug 10, 2011
CP asked this and I am not sure:

If a group does standing BHS step out, claps overhead in a 2 count paise to set up for a back walkover, and then does back walkover back handspring, does the pause make it count as 2 separate passes or not? I tended to think it was all one pass but wasn't sure if the pause made a difference.

If there is continuous motion and no extra step (like some kids might want to BHS step out with one foot and then take another step into the leg they want to kick over for the BWO) it will likely be counted as one pass. BWO are kind of given a bit of latitude, in my experience (which I should mention my recent experience is only level 1, but I'd imagine level 2 is similar with respect to BWOs) because when you're connecting BWOs, it helps to have a specific count in the middle that everyone starts that second skill on, otherwise the pass is a hot mess, timing-wise. This isn't a legality question, though - this is a how-are-the-panel-judges-going-to-score-this question, which will possibly vary between brands and even between comps.

If there is continuous motion and no extra step (like some kids might want to BHS step out with one foot and then take another step into the leg they want to kick over for the BWO) it will likely be counted as one pass. BWO are kind of given a bit of latitude, in my experience (which I should mention my recent experience is only level 1, but I'd imagine level 2 is similar with respect to BWOs) because when you're connecting BWOs, it helps to have a specific count in the middle that everyone starts that second skill on, otherwise the pass is a hot mess, timing-wise. This isn't a legality question, though - this is a how-are-the-panel-judges-going-to-score-this question, which will possibly vary between brands and even between comps.
Sarah-- did you have this issue with RO BWO too? We did sync RO BWO last year and it helped to have a pause between for everyone's timing to be spot on, but I had judges telling me they needed to be connected with no pause.

Sarah-- did you have this issue with RO BWO too? We did sync RO BWO last year and it helped to have a pause between for everyone's timing to be spot on, but I had judges telling me they needed to be connected with no pause.
We didn't have a pause, exactly - we did a clap overhead on a particular count and the kids kept moving, so it was technically connected. We did not get any comments about the pause, nor did we get comments about timing... So I'm taking that as a win and running with it, haha.

CP was on level 1 last year and they did it that way. The discussion about this came up when we were counting tumbling elements in their new routine and comparing to what we need to max out. I made the comment that I hope they weren't counting on that being 2 separate passes to satisfy the " majority does 2 standing passes". There is, as far as I can tell, a synchronized pass plus about half of what we need for a second pass doing this. I am hoping maybe there was something else I didn't catch that gets us to majority throwing 2 passes.

To get into the high range on Jam, level 1 and 2 must have "most of the team perform two level-appropriate passes, one of which must be synchronized." So to get there, it isn't just majority, but MOST, which is defined in a grid based on number of athletes total on the floor. If you have most do one level appropriate pass, you should get into the mid range for difficulty.

That's what I am getting at, I know we have one synchronized pass that makes the 75% standard plus this one. If it counts as 2 separate passes it would get us the other one. i.e, with 20 on the team, 15 is defined as most. We have 15 throwing a synchronized pass at another point in the routine and 8 doing this pass. If it counts as 2 passes that would get us into the top range since we could count those 8 twice, right? My kid insists there is no other standing tumbling in the routine and was asking me because she is worried they won't max out with it like this. I tend to think they are counting it as one pass and there is more standing tumbling somewhere she is not involved in.

Back