All-Star Level 6 Stunting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2011
So with collegiate style handspring ups being legal in level 5 nowadays, and with prep level inversions (True hand-in-hand toss to feet a la Florida Top Dog) also being legal level 5 skills, are the only stunting skills currently reserved for level 6 rewinds, flip dismounts, and extended inversions? It seems weird that there are only two mounts that are specific to level 6 - am I forgetting something obvious? I've even started to see coed 5 teams do collegiate style coed front handspring ups!

So with collegiate style handspring ups being legal in level 5 nowadays, and with prep level inversions (True hand-in-hand toss to feet a la Florida Top Dog) also being legal level 5 skills, are the only stunting skills currently reserved for level 6 rewinds, flip dismounts, and extended inversions? It seems weird that there are only two mounts that are specific to level 6 - am I forgetting something obvious? I've even started to see coed 5 teams do collegiate style coed front handspring ups!

More or less, yes. Rewinds and flipping dismounts I think. But on the unified scoresheet they count both level 5 and 6 stunts (for the most part - you need 4 and 2 of them have to be level 6 to max out on difficulty). Recently a friend joked that level 6 rules were written in 15 minutes on a napkin. We're basically the redheaded stepchild.

ETA: Here's the stunt examples from the unified scoresheet rubric.

http://register.varsity.com/VAS/15-16-scoringStunts.pdf

ETA2: Tagging some other level 6 people (we need a club :p) @Rudags @XtremeWpg @WinstonsGirl @King

Last edited:
rewinds, flipping dismounts, baskets and 2 1/2 high pyramids..

and there's more vague rules about tumbling like "1 flipping, 2 twisting rotations" so standing doubles, full doubles, etc..

agreed about the red headed step child thing, lol

Front tuck mounts too, usually to load I've seen. They're pretty easy actually, and you could change them up by going to prep (harder) or going to something else like a cradle, straddle sit, or similar instead of load. I've also seen a lot of twisting rewinds (fulls) that land in prone, same for dismounts, though they're not getting all the way around, you'll still get credit for a twitching/flipping skill

Can do things like roundoff rewinds, back handspring rewinds
Yes. But the rules say nothing can come before the handspring/round off I believe. Ie, you couldn't round off double handspring rewind or Arabian roundoff rewind.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Front tuck mounts too, usually to load I've seen. They're pretty easy actually, and you could change them up by going to prep (harder) or going to something else like a cradle, straddle sit, or similar instead of load. I've also seen a lot of twisting rewinds (fulls) that land in prone, same for dismounts, though they're not getting all the way around, you'll still get credit for a twitching/flipping skill
Do you have any videos of someone doing a front tuck mount? How do you do it in a way that the bases aren't touching when the first is upside down because then it's level 5 right?
Like if bases held shoulders and hips and flipped that way when she was upside down they would still be touching shoulders so it wouldnt be a released flip.

Do you have any videos of someone doing a front tuck mount? How do you do it in a way that the bases aren't touching when the first is upside down because then it's level 5 right?
Like if bases held shoulders and hips and flipped that way when she was upside down they would still be touching shoulders so it wouldnt be a released flip.

The simplest way I've seen is to start in a flat back where the flyer has her legs in the air (balled up or straight), and then the bases pop and she does a front flip and lands in cradle - or squish or whatever. I've usually seen it as a transitional skill.

It's only level 5 if contact is maintained the entire time I think.

When I did it in the past we popped from a heel stretch and landed in the flat back. We recently did it popping from cradle to flat back.

The simplest way I've seen is to start in a flat back where the flyer has her legs in the air (balled up or straight), and then the bases pop and she does a front flip and lands in cradle - or squish or whatever. I've usually seen it as a transitional skill.

It's only level 5 if contact is maintained the entire time I think.

When I did it in the past we popped from a heel stretch and landed in the flat back. We recently did it popping from cradle to flat back.
I've actually done this before now that I think of it, it was supposed to transition to a rewind at my college that season but time constraints got the better of us.

Have you ever seen a front tuck to prep? Like a reverse rewind?

I've seen it in videos, but can't think of any. Flyer starts prone, but with 1 foot on the ground (kind of in a T). Third has hands on hip and upper thigh of the leg in the air (parallel to the ground). Bases have back hands on the hip and front hand on the shoulders. I can't remember where the flyer's hands go, shoulders maybe?? You might have to play with it. On the dip, third pushed up, bases push up with the back hand and almost J up the shoulders to give them height. After the pop, flyer tucks in. Start landing in cradle for safety and then go to load. I'll look for a video and see if I can find it.

I've actually done this before now that I think of it, it was supposed to transition to a rewind at my college that season but time constraints got the better of us.

Have you ever seen a front tuck to prep? Like a reverse rewind?

I don't think I've seen it. I'm sure it's been done. You can start doing it to cradle, and then to squish, then try straight to prep.

Okay , so let's talk about Steels new stunt. Someone mentioned that it's legal because when they dip the flyers head is lower than her hips. But let's be honest it's still a rewind! I'm so confused as to how that tiny little bit makes it a level 5 stunt, she still does an unbraced flipping rotation
It's awesome, i love it, but i am a little confused
We have a solid rewind to block and we tried that stunt last night, it's harder than it looks,also because the flyer has more trouble getting her legs over in time to land the rewind. To me it is definitly a level 6 skill

Okay , so let's talk about Steels new stunt. Someone mentioned that it's legal because when they dip the flyers head is lower than her hips. But let's be honest it's still a rewind! I'm so confused as to how that tiny little bit makes it a level 5 stunt, she still does an unbraced flipping rotation
It's awesome, i love it, but i am a little confused
We have a solid rewind to block and we tried that stunt last night, it's harder than it looks,also because the flyer has more trouble getting her legs over in time to land the rewind. To me it is definitly a level 6 skill
Think of it as the skill that TGLC did in their pyramid in 2010 (and tons of other teams have done since) but backwards instead of forwards. It's the same concept.

Back