Looking To Start New Allstar Team ...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 7, 2013
Hi all,

I have been a rec league coach with a winning team for the past few years (in addition to being a lifelong cheerleader myself). My niece (cheer coach), daughter and I are looking to form our own All Star team for 2014 season. We are in the NW Chicago suburbs. Looking to start out small with a level 2 or 3 team depending on the talent base I have to start with. Looking for some guidance/advice. I have some coaching experience for an Allstar team as well, but pretty new to the structure of these types of competitions...any help would be appreciated!

If you don't get any response here, I'd post this in the coach's forum.

Hi all,

I have been a rec league coach with a winning team for the past few years (in addition to being a lifelong cheerleader myself). My niece (cheer coach), daughter and I are looking to form our own All Star team for 2014 season. We are in the NW Chicago suburbs. Looking to start out small with a level 2 or 3 team depending on the talent base I have to start with. Looking for some guidance/advice. I have some coaching experience for an Allstar team as well, but pretty new to the structure of these types of competitions...any help would be appreciated!

Things to think about:
Are there all star teams in your area? Competitive gyms within driving distance? Do you think your customers actually want to make this jump?

Having a rec team and having success there is much different than all-star, and your financial obligation is much different. You have to make sure your customers are willing to pay significantly more, and you need to make sure that one team is enough to pay the bills-coaching, facility, insurance, equipment, etc. You just have a lot to think about and plan for, and I think it's often hard to make the rec to all star jump, especially in a location where all star is already very competitive. It will probably be a little more difficult to get yourself off the ground and have success in an area like that. You have to look at your area and what you are willing to do to make it work. Good luck!

I just made the jump too however, I found it easiest to partner with a gymnastics gym that is already established... They promoted us to their students and in exchange any cheerleaders we bring in must have mandatory tumbling classes at the gym. It worked for everybody :) hope this helps.

I just made the jump as well, however there are no gymnastics gyms in the area that don't have all star teams already so we are on our own. It's been an interesting road so far but we're making it! Good luck to you!

Back