College Louisville Cheerleaders Subject To Drug Testing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know of a team that gets to use student athlete books, but only after the other teams have picked theirs

The only true varsity teams in college right now are NCATA. By that I mean full athletic department staff funding, recruiting budget, athletic scholarship funding and all their support for the athletic department that other teams get.

Any other cheer teams get agreements to be treated like varsity sports. Some get all benefits, but most get some that are picked for them. A lot of then fend for themselves or with booster support because they are student programs. Alabama is a great example, they won the national championship and were not allowed to put the Crimson A on their rings because they weren't an actual sport.

Sad fact is there is no true representation to govern college cheer. I've said this a few times - all teams are one new Athletic Director, major injury, or board meeting from being dropped. HPU is a great example of that.
HPU set themselves up to get dropped over the last 5 or so years of being able to compete. They had tons of money from the school to recruit and bring students in to cheer and compete. Problem is, they forgot to focus on the being cheerleaders for their school thing. Which once realized by their A.D. it became apparent where to make cuts to the budget.

You are correct about the other schools, but for most the benefits list is minimal because the squads aren't worth it to the school in the eyes of most of the athletic department.

The only true varsity teams in college right now are NCATA. By that I mean full athletic department staff funding, recruiting budget, athletic scholarship funding and all their support for the athletic department that other teams get.

Any other cheer teams get agreements to be treated like varsity sports. Some get all benefits, but most get some that are picked for them. A lot of then fend for themselves or with booster support because they are student programs. Alabama is a great example, they won the national championship and were not allowed to put the Crimson A on their rings because they weren't an actual sport.

Sad fact is there is no true representation to govern college cheer. I've said this a few times - all teams are one new Athletic Director, major injury, or board meeting from being dropped. HPU is a great example of that.
I remember that... I can somewhat understand the school's actions, but that still felt like a slap to the face.

HPU set themselves up to get dropped over the last 5 or so years of being able to compete. They had tons of money from the school to recruit and bring students in to cheer and compete. Problem is, they forgot to focus on the being cheerleaders for their school thing. Which once realized by their A.D. it became apparent where to make cuts to the budget.

You are correct about the other schools, but for most the benefits list is minimal because the squads aren't worth it to the school in the eyes of most of the athletic department.
Yup, same thing happened to UConn. Schools love cash cow sports. The thing is, they only love cash cow kids period. I'm sure you've heard of cases in which a D1 athlete suffers a severe injury and gets abandoned by the athletic program.

article-2709169-2015D73100000578-720_634x599.jpg

screen-shot-2014-07-28-at-5-31-12-pm.png

RIP
A lot of people don't realize how addictive drugs and the ritual of taking them can be. I feel for her and her family, and like @Mamarazzi said, I hope people can learn from this.

It also doesn't take full-blown addiction for the wrong drug and/or combo to take a life.

Does HPU still have a sideline cheerleading team?

Someone correct me if I am wrong. They have a sideline team but it does not compete. Additionally they have a NCATA team
That is my understanding as well. The NCATA team shows up on their website under woman's sports and they competed that way last year.
Link: HAWAI'I PACIFIC UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS

The cheer team shows up under "fanzone" but doesn't have any new news.

They changed their "brand" to Sharks btw. I am now a huge fan. . .(always liked the program)
Link: HAWAI'I PACIFIC UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS - Hawai'i Pacific University Athletics Unveils Refreshed Brand

So in reality they did not cut funding but provided funding for an Acrobatic and Tumbling team.
It wasn't about cutting funding. They won their division in 2013 but their admin decided they wouldn't be allowed to compete in 2014 due to insurance so they started a NCATA team as a full sport under athletics (which all NCATA teams are)

That is my understanding as well. The NCATA team shows up on their website under woman's sports and they competed that way last year.
HAWAI'I PACIFIC UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS

The cheer team shows up under "fanzone" but doesn't have any new news.

They changed their "brand" to Sharks btw. I am now a huge fan. . .(always liked the program)
HAWAI'I PACIFIC UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS - Hawai'i Pacific University Athletics Unveils Refreshed Brand
No more warriors? Sharks just doesn't sound as fierce.

Ehhl Ohhhh ehhl

Back