All-Star Majors Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You completely missed my point. I was saying that in gymnastics difficult skills are executed well the majority of the time as in cheerleading difficult skills are rarely executed well if at all. BUT instead of persecuting teams on how they need to do easier skills persecute teams on how they need to clean up their difficult skills because yes a team with clean easy skills is solid but a team with clean difficult skills is even better.

In gymnastics, good technique is rewarded more than in cheer (or bad technique is punished more - depends on how you look at it.). When the cheer scoring system changes to reflect an emphasis on technique, the execution will improve. Fair or not, teams don't have "gymnastics-level" execution of skills because it isn't sufficiently rewarded on the scoresheet.

It is very difficult to compare cheerleading to gymnastics. Most gymnast put in significantally more time a week working on perfecting their skills. A girl just entering a beginner pre team might put in 10 hours a week, once they start moving up you are talking more and more hours. A lower level competeive gymnast could easily be required to put in 15 or more hours a week. In cheer most level 1 through 4 teams don't put in more than 4 hours a week.

:Thread derailment alert!:

Oh wait, that was my fault. Sorry...

I was simply noting that the technique/artistry vs. difficulty debate is not limited to cheer. @BlueCat is 100% correct, there is no reason for cheerleaders to have gymnast-perfect technique because they are not rewarded for it. I agree that good technique shouldn't necessarily be valued more than difficulty, but truly bad technique should carry greater deductions.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It is very difficult to compare cheerleading to gymnastics. Most gymnast put in significantally more time a week working on perfecting their skills. A girl just entering a beginner pre team might put in 10 hours a week, once they start moving up you are talking more and more hours. A lower level competeive gymnast could easily be required to put in 15 or more hours a week. In cheer most level 1 through 4 teams don't put in more than 4 hours a week.
Plus gymnasts have to show they have mastered the skills in their level before they can move up. In cheer there's no real leveling system to make sure people have proper technique before moving on and I think there needs to be a bigger emphasis on proper tumbling training and technique in cheer.

We could almost start a whole new thread just on this topic. Of course I am all for safety and great technique/execution. With that said I love Cheer and hope it doesn't change too much. Very few kids are able to stay in gymnastics long term at competeive levels. The level of perfection expected weeds kids out very fast. To me cheer is a place where if you have a passion for it and work hard you really can be successful! For example my daughters left foot is slightly pigeon toed. People never even notice it. The gymnastics judges slammed her for it. It was always an automatic deduction in her routines. In cheer she is an asset to her cheers team and considered a strong tumbler. I love that cheer is a balanced sport! :)

i dont understand why people are comparing cheer to gymnastics...... they are two very different things

No one compares a gymnast's technique on beam to a cheerleader's tumbling pass. It's the comparison between gymnastics tumbling technique and cheerleading tumbling technique. A roundoff handspring double is a roundoff handspring double in both sports, it's exactly the same, however one sport penalizes said pass for being done without proper technique and one practically encourages it.

The smartest thing I learned at my acting intensive last weekend was: You are in the room, you've already earned your right and spot to be here. Just do your best and keep moving forward.
LOVE THIS! Definitely going to have to remember this anytime I ever get nervous for anything.

LOVE THIS! Definitely going to have to remember this anytime I ever get nervous for anything.

I almost felt stupid for not coming to that conclusion on my own. But then I realized that it's part of my ego trying to keep me from doing stuff that scares me.

Ignoring the fact that the scary things are usually the things that challenge you.

i am comparing cheerleading to gymnastics cause they CAN be compared:confused: they share common elements and most cheerleaders come from gymnastics as i did. its not like hockey players go to cheerleading commonly when they leave hockey.... its gymnast that usually fall back on cheerleading when they quit gymnastics so technically the two can be compared. I'm not saying that cheerleading is lower than gymnastics at all to make that clear because i did both and i love cheerleading. :cheering:

Back