All-Star Maryland Twisters Virginia

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well the time is right for it. CT in process of finding new location, smaller gyms not pulling higher level teams. Personally very excited about this.

We make the trip from VA to GB/Hanover 3x or more a week. It is about 70 miles each way. During the week we have to allow up to 2.5 hours one way during rush hour. Evening and most weekends it only takes about 1 hour. Luckily, we have a great car pool with 5 athletes so it really isn't that bad on the parents. So excited for them to bring their amazing gym and experience to VA!!!

You are definitely a "fiercecheermom" just having to allot 2.5 hours one way during the week!! How long have you been with the Twisters?

So what do you consider a "TRUE NoVA kid?"

I mean 'true' as in those counties closest to DC, Alexandria, Arlington and Falls Church area kids. CT Fairfax is the closest AS gym, while the other NOVA gyms are over 40 minutes away on a good day. As a lifetime NOVA person, I would say anything over 45 minutes from DC is pushing it.

Interestingly enough, within NOVA Arlington, Alexandria, Stafford, and Prince Williams counties are the only counties with winter cheerleading. Fairfax schools cut winter cheer about 7ish years ago and there are a lot of ex-gymnast out there so AS cheer really has a chance to thrive.

You are definitely a "fiercecheermom" just having to allot 2.5 hours one way during the week!! How long have you been with the Twisters?
Because of our great car pool, I usually only have to drive 1 day a week at the most. We do have to be flexible because they do call extra practices when necessary. They give the teams the tools to be successful. Unfortunately, this will be our first and only year here.

When I cheered at Twisters several of my teammates commuted from NOVA because Dynasty was closing and the other options were too far. I live in SoMd and my family made the commute which can be very long during rush hour. So I'm happy for them and the move!

I mean 'true' as in those counties closest to DC, Alexandria, Arlington and Falls Church area kids. CT Fairfax is the closest AS gym, while the other NOVA gyms are over 40 minutes away on a good day. As a lifetime NOVA person, I would say anything over 45 minutes from DC is pushing it.

Interestingly enough, within NOVA Arlington, Alexandria, Stafford, and Prince Williams counties are the only counties with winter cheerleading. Fairfax schools cut winter cheer about 7ish years ago and there are a lot of ex-gymnast out there so AS cheer really has a chance to thrive.
There are other NOVA gyms that are closer. They're just smaller. Hot Topic and Afficial are in Alexandria, CNN is in Woodbridge, Capital is in Burke, and there are probably others that I don't know about.

There are other NOVA gyms that are closer. They're just smaller. Hot Topic and Afficial are in Alexandria, CNN is in Woodbridge, Capital is in Burke, and there are probably others that I don't know about.

I forgot about Hot Topic and Afficial! I didn't know Capital was still a thing, I've been there before though. I don't they have a senior team though.

As a NOVA girl for over 4 decades and watched this area change TRUE NOVA most definitely includes Fairfax, PW, Loudon as well the ones you mentioned. Also NOVA AS gyms would include but CT locations, Hot Topic (Alexandria), Capital Cheer (Burke) , Phase, Legacy (which I think is actually been around the longest). The Rec programs have also been booming SYA, Herndon Optimist, BRYC to name a few. For those not from the area. NOVA has the highest population density in the state and brings in the most income to the state in the way of taxes and government contracts.. it is a unique area ... very densely populated horrible traffic and huge mixing bowl of cultures and languages especially in comparison to the rest of the state because of it's location to DC and the number of diplomats, international companies with offices here, and government employees. Not saying it is better or worse than the rest of the state but certainly has a different feel then the rest. Because of that dense population finding a place to put a gym close in for VA is difficult. Warehouse space in the area runs small in size and costs a VERY pretty penny the closer you get to DC which does make finding a location difficult to say the least. The new Twister location in Sterling is in Loudoun which is further out but MOST definitely Northern Virginia and is an area with more warehouse space and recreation programs such as rock climbing, trampoline parks, things of that nature that take up space. Either way this should be an exciting time in NOVA.

I forgot about Hot Topic and Afficial! I didn't know Capital was still a thing, I've been there before though. I don't they have a senior team though.

We have a good friend there. They do not have Senior 5 but they do have Senior teams their program has definitely been growing. Our friends there are very happy.

My own concern about Twister coming is the effect on all the smaller gyms. As we all know each gym has their own style and culture and having that diversity has been great for families to find the right gym for them. But it gets hard is fielding truly competitive teams made up of enough athletes of the same or near the same age group and level when you have a few small gyms in the same relatively small area. That will be all that much harder with Twisters coming especially for higher level teams. Does not mean I am not super excited and seriously there is a high likelihood we will be twisters bound (spent a lot of time reading their online parent handbook for MD and seeing if what they say aligns with what I want for my kids) but does not mean we are all on board..... still several good options and not unhappy where we are currently so just going to have to wait and see.

W Does not mean I am not super excited and seriously there is a high likelihood we will be twisters bound (spent a lot of time reading their online parent handbook for MD and seeing if what they say aligns with what I want for my kids) but does not mean we are all on board..... still several good options and not unhappy where we are currently so just going to have to wait and see.

Are you currently with a program in NOVA?

Are you currently with a program in NOVA?
Yes, but I do not post where my kids are currently because I feel more comfortable saying what I think when I am not worried about someone in the gym saying "she said x,y,z on Fierceboard.... although I really never post anything I wouldn't say in public". I am more open here than I am in "real world". Fierce board has provided me a good education into this world and I like to share my thoughts without worry. We love where we are, but for various reasons seriously considering Twisters and were already seriously looking at various options in our area before the news (sometimes a place you love may not be the best place for you to grow and that can be VERY tough to make a switch when that is the case).

I'm just excited to see Twister's in the area because I know of families that want to get their children in cheer but would rather be in a big gym. Not to say it's right or wrong, but sometimes a bigger gym in place where not everyone and their mother is in AS will attract kids to join off the strength of the name alone. As they grow they might move around to the other programs based off price, location, gym culture.

Last edited:
This is probably a smart move.

It's my understanding from Fierceboard that kids regularly commute from VA to cheer there, right? Our commute from Northern VA to Hanover is about 7

Question: I am not from there so I was wondering how far the average VA kid has to drive to get there?

I picture all major areas in the DMV to be really close together and that VA to MD is not a long drive, but my limited experience with DC traffic tells me I am wrong. It's probably further than I think with crazy traffic.
This is probably a smart move.

It's my understanding from Fierceboard that kids regularly commute from VA to cheer there, right?

Question: I am not from there so I was wondering how far the average VA kid has to drive to get there?

I picture all major areas in the DMV to be really close together and that VA to MD is not a long drive, but my limited experience with DC traffic tells me I am wrong. It's probably further than I think with crazy traffic.
Our commute from Northern VA to Hanover is about 70 miles. The VA gym would actually be a longer commute.

Back