All-Star Mature "look" For 12-13 Year Olds On Senior Worlds Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hair extensions, hair color and (maybe) the expensive eyeshadow is ridiculous.

Hair extensions are, at the lowest, $150. Not to mention, bad for your hair. And honestly, I do not think judges care about how long/thick your hair is by any means. Yes, it should look nice, but you do NOT need hair extensions. I can totally understand if someone WANTS them for cheer, I want them. But I definitely don't think it's fair to require them.

Coloring your hair? Really? It's not something you can do for a competition Saturday and take out that night. Hair color literally plays no part in judging. I have never watched a routine and looked at someone's hair color. It's only understandable if someone has like unnatural, crayola colored hair. Plus, if I want to go get my hair colored it's probably going to be at least $70, which is crazy for something you don't want to do for yourself, but for cheer.

The makeup is kinda part of the uniform. I know a lot of gyms go through cheer companies for special color palettes. But if they're trying to get you to buy the Naked Palette (or similar products) that isn't necessary. Sooo many other options you can get if you're not into that sort of thing.

All of this is coming from me, someone who is 100% for big hair and dark eye makeup and bright lips, all the time. If I can see what's wrong, the gym should too lol
The kind my daughter wears is just for competition. I just want to clarify hair extensions can be done for a lot cheaper then 150 and also not damage the hair at all.

I purchase real hair extensions that can be curled, washed, teased, brushed - you name it. I put them in after the fact of putting her hair up. They are secure and go in right at the base of the pony. It adds significant length to her hair and me and another mom split one $50 package or whatever it is called of hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to cast doubt, but if your friend's DD has moved up to a senior worlds level team are you sure she isn't saying these things because she wants them? Maybe because she wants to look like the bigger kids? I have known a lot of kids say 'oh my coach says I need hair straighteners for competition' or 'my teacher says we can only wear the £300 designer jackets for school' when in actual fact the teacher has said nothing of the kind, and the kid wants to fit in!

My niece (who is 13) told me her school requires a particular brand and style of skirt as a school skirt. They don't. They require it to be a certain colour and style, that's it. But when we went to the shop, there was half of her class, all wanting the same skirt to fit in. Different scenario, but same motivation perhaps.

The size of your eyes might also be affected by the amount of dark eyeliner/eyeshadow near the base of your lash line (not saying you do this, but it's a thing).

Granted- again, the judges really aren't going to be focused that much on whether or not your lashes are of length. I doubt they see that well lol.
I know, and I don't wear fake lashes, but I can understand why people would choose to wear them for themselves... So they don't look all squinty eyed. Especially with the obsession some people have with how their action shots look :rolleyes:

My 5 year old was a "pageant kid" and when she did glitz competitions we would sometimes use eyelashes and make up and spray tans she loved getting her hair and make up done and she likes how she looks, it was a treat for her only on special occasions. However, I will not spray tan her for cheer because it is a sport and that can cause sweating and tanning stains on her lovely $350.00 uniform. Make-up we will do and our gym sells a kit to us for $50.00, what it includes I don't know. By the way we did give up pageants because she was at an age to begin understanding that was about looks and personality and since her 14 year old sister is a recovering eat disorder we didn't want anything to be solely on looks.

My 5 year old was a "pageant kid" and when she did glitz competitions we would sometimes use eyelashes and make up and spray tans she loved getting her hair and make up done and she likes how she looks, it was a treat for her only on special occasions. However, I will not spray tan her for cheer because it is a sport and that can cause sweating and tanning stains on her lovely $350.00 uniform. Make-up we will do and our gym sells a kit to us for $50.00, what it includes I don't know. By the way we did give up pageants because she was at an age to begin understanding that was about looks and personality and since her 14 year old sister is a recovering eat disorder we didn't want anything to be solely on looks.
I'm a huge advocate on the subject of eating disorders. I suffered anorexia and have done irreversible damage to my heart. I was a figure skater for 11 years. The disease is like alcoholism though. To this day I still catch my self almost falling into old habits. And I've been "stable" for many years. It's not based just upon looks but also what the different expectations of each industry. I have 3 CP's that all have extremely different body types. I'm 5"6 I do not weigh myself, but am very slim. My hubby is 6"4 260lbs maybe. We strongly encourage healthy eating habits, no dieting, and our gym is huge on conditioning which is turning my cp with the smallest bone structure into a powerful young woman. I truly apologize if I rambled but this subject hits me hard.

@Kris10boo don't you apologize or feel bad, girl! if your kid likes them or asks for them, and you're okay with it, i see no problem with lashes or extensions. i LOVE lashes (though didn't use them until i was older and could apply them myself) and i used extensions. my hair is/was already long. i solely used the extensions to prevent damaging my own hair. mine also were not that expensive.

i do have a problem with either the child not wanting them, mom not being okay with it, or both... which i think is why this thread was started. if it was a suggestion or the coach just saying that most of the girls on the team use lashes, extensions and spray tans thats ok. if they're saying it as a requirement - heck to the no.

i also have a question that doesn't exactly pertain to this thread, but since we're talking young girls and hair dye... when did that awful bleach blonde/white and/or super yellow blonde hair color become a thing? no one in the "real world" uses that color, because it's awful, but if you walk into a cheer comp it's like they were offering a 2 for 1 special. i'm also concerned with how much younger the kids with this hair color are. i've seen kids who look like toddlers with bleached and color treated hair. it concerns me. is it because their favorite cheerlebs do it, so they have to, too? i wasn't even allowed highlights until high school, and even then i was only allowed one or two shades up to brighten up my hair. not to mention how expensive this all is. if i ever give birth, i hope i have a boy.

I think the reality of this is that our sport is coming to a place where looks are a huge part of it. I'm not saying eyelashes and hair extensions should be required by any means, but half up half down curls look so much more neat and also hold better with hair extensions- unless you have hair that holds a perfect curl all day, or is super thick. I have in-between thick/thin hair that refuses to hold a curl or tease and couldn't imagine doing the half up half down hairstyle without extensions. And yes, you can find them way cheaper. A pack of 18' extensions at Sally's are maybe $30, the clips are about $2 and you just have to sew the clips into the extensions yourself. As for fake eyelashes, it really just looks better with competition makeup. You don't like them? That's okay. It should be your choice but I think at a senior age you should definitely wear them. And spray tans..... Let's be honest, if you have even the littlest bit of color it's going to look so much better than not having any color at all. Everyone has their own opinion but as our sport is growing with bigger venues and more lights it's easy to get washed out on stage.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

The kind my daughter wears is just for competition. I just want to clarify hair extensions can be done for a lot cheaper then 150 and also not damage the hair at all.

I purchase real hair extensions that can be curled, washed, teased, brushed - you name it. I put them in after the fact of putting her hair up. They are secure and go in right at the base of the pony. It adds significant length to her hair and me and another mom split one $50 package or whatever it is called of hair.

And that's fine!!! I've been looking into extensions (foxy locks, luxy, etc) and I just can't find any, for me, under $150. A lot of people have told me that they can cause breakage if you're not taking care of your hair properly.

I saw your other post about feeling terrible and I really hope you don't!!! Your daughter is so adorable and if she likes this stuff, awesome!!! I was definitely just pointing out the negatives because I think it's crazy for a gym to require these things- especially for athletes who aren't really into the glitzy side of cheer.

I know, and I don't wear fake lashes, but I can understand why people would choose to wear them for themselves... So they don't look all squinty eyed. Especially with the obsession some people have with how their action shots look :rolleyes:
This just hurts my soul. Have you seen 'action' shots of world famous guitarists? Even THEY look hideous. Nobody looks pretty while in the middle of strenuous activity. Nobody.

I wear them for halloween and special events (film festivals and such), but I always go for the super natural looking ones and do maybe halves. I don't want to say 'I've got good eyelashes and easy-to-curl hair' (Yay for being a curly!)..but genetics won on that one. Makes up for my terrible joints and back pain, I guess.

If your kid likes it, cool. Go for it. It's just every year around comp time I worry we're getting into the COMPLETELY wrong direction with the amount of emphasis we put on being 'competition ready' (and what that entails). Especially when they are things the judges (you know, the people we're REALLY performing for) won't even notice.

I would, however, like extensions for 'every-other-day' wear. Being a normal-curly, I can only grow my hair so long before the curls start pulling into awkward wavy/straight/curly mess. It gets to bra-strap length, then I freak out and hack it all off. On occasion I'd like to have longer hair that curls well, without me having to deal with the day-to-day of ugly hair lol. Then again, some day I just want to rock a pixie and say TO HECK WITH HAIR.

A lot of teams have to do that stuff as young as minis. If the team she is on requires it, she'll just need to do it. My CP is used to stage makeup, false eyelashes, hair pieces and tanning from competitive dance. I think to a certain extent this stuff is necessary to create a professional and uniform (all girls looking a like) look for the team, especially when there are stage lights are involved. I hate oversized poofs and enormous over teased hair though in cheer - it just looks cheesy and un-athletic sometimes.

I would, however, like extensions for 'every-other-day' wear. Being a normal-curly, I can only grow my hair so long before the curls start pulling into awkward wavy/straight/curly mess. It gets to bra-strap length, then I freak out and hack it all off. On occasion I'd like to have longer hair that curls well, without me having to deal with the day-to-day of ugly hair lol. Then again, some day I just want to rock a pixie and say TO HECK WITH HAIR.[/QUOTE]

Have to laugh at this, my 5 year old has very spiral curls and it hits that certain point! Unmanageable!

Back