All-Star Mature "look" For 12-13 Year Olds On Senior Worlds Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I think of Allstar...I think of the competitiveness and the flashy 'stage' show. As with any other sport out there, Allstar games for baseball, basketball, etc....those aren't just normal ordinary games. There is so much 'hoopla' leading up to the big game. To me that is what Allstar is. The stage makeup and hair on top of the athleticism. Until Allstar starts leaning more towards Acro and Tumbling, there will always be a 'pageantry' to it.

With that said, if a 12 year old is going to compete on a Worlds team, it is expected to conform to the teams overall look however when coaches are asking for highlights and teeth bleaching, that's another story. I'm kind of on the fence about the hair extensions. Are they competing in the Glitz division??? :p

This just hurts my soul. Have you seen 'action' shots of world famous guitarists? Even THEY look hideous. Nobody looks pretty while in the middle of strenuous activity. Nobody.

I wear them for halloween and special events (film festivals and such), but I always go for the super natural looking ones and do maybe halves. I don't want to say 'I've got good eyelashes and easy-to-curl hair' (Yay for being a curly!)..but genetics won on that one. Makes up for my terrible joints and back pain, I guess.

If your kid likes it, cool. Go for it. It's just every year around comp time I worry we're getting into the COMPLETELY wrong direction with the amount of emphasis we put on being 'competition ready' (and what that entails). Especially when they are things the judges (you know, the people we're REALLY performing for) won't even notice.

I would, however, like extensions for 'every-other-day' wear. Being a normal-curly, I can only grow my hair so long before the curls start pulling into awkward wavy/straight/curly mess. It gets to bra-strap length, then I freak out and hack it all off. On occasion I'd like to have longer hair that curls well, without me having to deal with the day-to-day of ugly hair lol. Then again, some day I just want to rock a pixie and say TO HECK WITH HAIR.
I feel you. It's ridiculous. we have a nice camera and my mom takes tons of pictures. After every game/event everyone is texting me "are there any good pics of me?" And then are annoyed if there aren't. And if I just post them all to a photo sharing site, people will be like "omg take that down I look awful". Like.... Get over yourself. I look awful in every action shot ever. It is what it is.... I still tweeted them to laugh at myself. If you're freaking out when a photo gets posted that you don't look absolutely perfect in (aka you didn't get to edit it with 65 filters), you're probably taking yourself a little too seriously.
I like getting done up for competitions. I don't wear fake eyelashes bc I can't put them on for the life of me, and it's not even really a thing here. But if I could put them on without such a struggle, maybe I would. Props to anyone who can put them on! I'm not opposed to them at all. It's just annoying to me when people are more concerned about their action shots than the fact that they just dropped their flyer on their head.
Tbh all that I just said is more of an issue in HS cheer than all star for me. Nobody acts like that at my gym but good lord high school cheer is a mess.

Sorry, double posting on this subject because I've been thinking about it all day:
As our sport grows and changes we have to grow and change along with it- when I first started cheering competitions were in high school gyms and all you had was a ribbon- not a giant bow and we didn't wear makeup. Spray glitter was the big thing! Was it required? No. Did almost everyone use it? Yes. So was that hair glitter gel stuff that had the stars in it.... not required but you got it anyways. I remember when I changed to a gym with crop tops and I got to wear eyeshadow and bright red lipstick, we also did half up/half down loose curls (finally got rid of those awful cheer curls... lol)- I was SOOOOOO excited about finally getting to get dressed up and look like one of the "older" girls on my team that I had looked up to at all the competitions.... Yes, the makeup and lipstick and new uniform were new to us and also an added cost onto the bill and took a little more time on competition morning, and my mom was not a fan- but she went with it because it was how our sport was evolving and it meant so much to me. Fast forward- eventually I took off about two years and came back to cheer and it was the lovely era of sequin bloomers, glitter eyeshadow, the beginning of poofs, giant bows, and glitter lips. (Obviously) I went with it because we had to have the red glitter lips and the blue sparkles over my eyeshadow to compete, but I wasn't necessarily a fan of accidentally eating glitter or the way it looked, or the giant minnie mouse bow that seemed to weigh my head down- but it's something we HAD to do to compete. Hair up in a high ponytail with a poof. I'm not cheering now but all-star has definitely evolved from then- we don't (or rarely) have competitions in a high school gym, they're in convention centers and arenas and they're a lot bigger than they used to be. Most of my cheerleading career there were maybe twenty local teams who competed, now people travel from all over and there are probably twenty or thirty GYMS competing. Extensions and fake eyelashes and team makeup and spray tans are normal in all-star cheer currently and thats how it's evolving- it's not ribbons and cheer curls anymore. I agree, it can be too much but this is an expensive sport and I definitely wouldn't pay as much as I have to go to competitions to feel self-conscious around other girls on my team because I didn't use extensions or I didn't wear the fake eyelashes or get a spray tan. But then again, I'm an extremely self-conscious person. Everyone has their own opinion.

P.S. I'm not actually sure if this makes any sense. lol

My old gym did not require tanning, but I always did. This is because I was on a team of primarily latina/black girls and some VERY tan Italian girls as well. It looked weird to have all these darker skinned girls and then one or two stark white girls, so I would tan for the sake of uniformity.

And that's fine!!! I've been looking into extensions (foxy locks, luxy, etc) and I just can't find any, for me, under $150. A lot of people have told me that they can cause breakage if you're not taking care of your hair properly.

I saw your other post about feeling terrible and I really hope you don't!!! Your daughter is so adorable and if she likes this stuff, awesome!!! I was definitely just pointing out the negatives because I think it's crazy for a gym to require these things- especially for athletes who aren't really into the glitzy side of cheer.
Good luck on finding extensions. We ventured into town to a store that was not as nice as others but girl they got extensions galore and some good stuff and good prices.

My daughter probably doesn't use as much extensions as the average cheerleader because I only attach her extensions at the base of where a ponytail would go. That way it's all length that gets added. When we started doing the poof high pony with teased curls by the time I slicked her hair up into a high pony and put a couple rubber bands and a bow in the hair would only hang out about 3 inches. Therefore you basically would just see the back of her head where it was slicked up smooth. There was no hair hanging over it.
0521768f8a4a09b50bf7a831a3c25b4f.jpg

The best pic I could find but literally it's hard to see but the piece hanging in front of the bow is the length of hair out of the pony. She hated it because everyone's hair is much longer and hers just doesn't grow. My hair is to my butt so she doesn't get why hers can't be long :/

I had told a mom I was going to get extensions and she helped me a lot then I fine tuned it for my kids style of hair. It was perfect and very inexpensive and in fact it saved so much damage on her own hair. I could tease the hell out of it curl it spray it and pop it out right after competition and wash or brush it and rip and pull through all those tangles. I will say we used her hair roughly 20 times with a high heat curling wand and product all over it. The hair we purchased is still useable but I'll buy her a new one for this competition season. It definitely thinned out from me brushing all those tangles out .. Lol
26f9c35eea01ad78304a45708d687762.jpg
this is how she wanted it when competing was it moving around. Most of her team didn't even know that wasn't her hair and it looks natural. The fact that it's actually easier and more manageable was a plus. One day maybe this season I'll make a video of it because others have asked how to do the poof and or the extensions without it falling out. I have attempted to do the video twice but it's just to hard because I need someone to hold the camera because it sitting stationary doesn't allow me to show the detail that goes into it. (I know you aren't wanting to put them at the base of the pony but put them in the real way but that's just what I found easiest for a ponytail style hair!)

Eta: this is a still shot forward facing of the team. The two girls bottom right are the only 2 that have hair extensions. They actually give it a more full and wide look versus a pony that just hangs straight down. They don't even need as much teasing as regular hair. I also think our way of putting the extensions in does not allow the pony tail to move nor the bow as this was taken at the end of the day after awards ceremony and their hair still almost looks good.
da5ee10ddb995cf2b75b576a1a56b6ef.jpg

Omg I'm sorry I'll stop straying from the topic I keep thinking this is the competition hair thread oops! :(
Also @vannahlexis this post wasn't all to you as much as the first sentence was lol it was just a general post
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good luck on finding extensions. We ventured into town to a store that was not as nice as others but girl they got extensions galore and some good stuff and good prices.

My daughter probably doesn't use as much extensions as the average cheerleader because I only attach her extensions at the base of where a ponytail would go.

. One day maybe this season I'll make a video of it because others have asked how to do the poof and or the extensions without it falling out. I have attempted to do the video twice but it's just to hard because I need someone to hold the camera because it sitting stationary doesn't allow me to show the detail that goes into it. (I know you aren't wanting to put them at the base of the pony but put them in the real way but that's just what I found easiest for a ponytail style hair!)

Please do a tutorial! I personally keep my hair just above the shoulder due to my hair being a tangle monster as its thick if its long.
My Uni team and the allstar team im hopefully joining both do high pony and one is teased curls this will make life so much easier now I just need to find extensions

How do you feel about your cp transitioning to the "mature look" because they are now on Senior Worlds teams? My friend's daughter is 13 and was told she needs to have a more mature look for her team that consisted of adding eyelashes; hair extensions; hair coloring and very expensive makeup palette. Is this the norm or even necessary for the younger athletes on worlds teams to fit in with the older athletes and have similiar look?
I have only ever heard of needed a certain makeup (just so everyone matches exactly) hair extensions/coloring and fake eyelashes should not be needed in any sport. I've never heard of an actual team saying that they wanted this, most teams advise against it for both safety and personal reasons. If I was told to dye my hair or buy hair extensions I would probably never do that or I would leave if they insisted on it.

I think a lot of the larger gym worlds athletes are setting the trend for the glamourous look. I personaly LOVE it for senior teams. For Worlds, NCA ect. I go all out wearing the eyelashes, hair extentions (bc I do big hair) and I tan at a salon for about 5 days before each big comp with stage lighting, (again im 17) but of course when I was younger I just spray tanned for those bigger comps, my reasoning was, I am bi racial I have very dark hair, brown eyes, my summer tan fades quickly by sept. being a pastey bi racial kid in a white uniform wasnt/isnt cute. Even this season on a different team that the uniform is mostly black I will be tanning, doing big hair with my extentions, false eye lashes and Ill have a date with Pauly D and my level 3 tanning bed before each comp.

I think parents just need to step in and speak up when if a gym requires it for their child. Every parent has a right to find a gym that suites their needs and beliefs. JS

Please do a tutorial! I personally keep my hair just above the shoulder due to my hair being a tangle monster as its thick if its long.
My Uni team and the allstar team im hopefully joining both do high pony and one is teased curls this will make life so much easier now I just need to find extensions

If it helps I buy my extentions at Sallys beauty supply if you have one. They are $130.00 they clip in stay in well and handle the excessive curing teasing well. 100% human hair, I wash and condition just like I do my own hair. They last the whole season if you maintain them well. Always lay flat to dry. Good luck

If it helps I buy my extentions at Sallys beauty supply if you have one. They are $130.00 they clip in stay in well and handle the excessive curing teasing well. 100% human hair, I wash and condition just like I do my own hair. They last the whole season if you maintain them well. Always lay flat to dry. Good luck

I live in the uk and dont have a sally's but thanks anyway I have a friend in the us so might be able to get her to get me some

I live in the uk and dont have a sally's but thanks anyway I have a friend in the us so might be able to get her to get me some
We have Sally's in the uk! I don't know where your closest is but if you search Sally's UK it will bring up the uk website. It's more a hairdressers supply store here but they do allow retail customers. Or take a mini holiday up to Manchester, we have a place called Paul's hair world and it's magic, just opened after burning down last year.

We have Sally's in the uk! I don't know where your closest is but if you search Sally's UK it will bring up the uk website. It's more a hairdressers supply store here but they do allow retail customers. Or take a mini holiday up to Manchester, we have a place called Paul's hair world and it's magic, just opened after burning down last year.

I live right in the south and there is one but it says trade only. However on the website there are some good options but the best as I need to tease would probs be to buy a weave track and wrap it around then style it how I want it. Thanks that has helped alot!!

YES. I had a mini mom yell at me because she wanted her daughter to be curled and poofed and blinged. She told me her daughter was devastated. That it was horrible that they weren't being treated like the older girls. As the coach, I don't want 6 year olds looking like prostitots. Also, with 6AM meeting times, the parents were secretly thanking me for an easy hairstyle.

OMG, DYING! I thought you made a typing error until I looked again. :deathdrop:

My oldest cp wears extensions due to the fact that she suffered from a form of childhood alopecia which stunted her hair growth. I purchase them at Sally's and my friend cuts them. Nothing to do with cheer.

Back