College Med Schools

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Are there any good schools that have a good all girl cheerleading squad and have a good pre med program? I have an athlete who is pretty talented and wants to cheer in college and is most likely going to go pre med.

Just look for a school with a really good biology program. I don't think it's called pre-med anymore. All my friends/roomates in college that were planning on going to med-school were biology/bio-chem majors. That might help you in your search!

Most people that I know who have gone on to med school or plan on it have just majored in Bio or Chem. Really you can major in just about anything as long as you pass the MCAT with a high enough score. Look for schools who have good Biology or Chemistry programs it opens up a lot more schools.

I beat you to it :) You always have really good advice in these threads, are you currently in school? Where do you/did you go?

Thanks for the help. But I already knew that pre-med majors normally do chem or bio. I am asking if anyone knows of any good cheer schools that have good programs. I will eventually do a search myself but I thought I would ask on here first.

Thanks for the help. But I already knew that pre-med majors normally do chem or bio. I am asking if anyone knows of any good cheer schools that have good programs. I will eventually do a search myself but I thought I would ask on here first.

Not sure if you are looking for something that is more UCA or NCA, but IU medical school has a great program. Their undergrad programs for Biology and Chem are really good as well. I mention them because when I was watching UCA on ESPN it mentioned that Tony Nash, former Morehead coach, is now a coach for their allgirl team. With him as the coach they placed second and I am sure will only get better.

I am not sure if Louisville has amazing Biology or Chem programs, but if they are anything like their medical school I assume they are good.

I am not super positive about how good other schools programs are since it wasn't my major, but those two popped in my head as far as their all girl squads go in comparison to not only their medical schools but undergrad programs.

Barry and Nova in South Florida are near Top Gun so there would be a possibility of doing an Intl team. Other than that University of Miami has a great Med school and athletic program with a very traditional all girl squad.

I would suggest that she majors in something that she really likes and just take the medical school requirements. The trend of medical school students majoring in Biology or Chemistry has really changed in the past ten years. Medical schools are looking for more well rounded students with various backgrounds. There are many students accepted that major in anthropology, psychology, and other humanity related studies that prepare them to work with people. Go to AAMC.com for a listing of medical schools and their requirements. Many will also give a breakdown of the makeup of the last entering classes including their majors. As long as she takes these courses and prepares well for the MCAT(Kaplan,Princeton Review), she'll have just as good a chance getting in as pre-med majors. The less rigorous courses of some other majors will actually yield her a higher GPA and more time to prepare for the test!

Med schools aren't as concerned about your undergrad institution as they are the other factors of admission (MCAT, gpa, clinical experience, etc.) So if your main concern is cheering then go for the school with the good cheerleading program and if you excel in your academics at whatever college you're at, you'll still be just as competitive for med school. Because honestly if you're looking for a top tier ivy or private school, their cheerleading programs typically aren't that strong.

Baylor University...also offers scholarships to their Acrobatics and Tumbling Team....go to USAATCA.org....the Acro & Tumbling Coaches web site....they have a College Bound Athletes Form to fill out for those interested in A & T university sponsored teams.... Or University of Oregon....or Quinnipiac?

Back