All-Star Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BBinNCsMom

Cheer Parent
Feb 21, 2014
I wish there was a magical cure... So sad and frustrated for my CP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@oncecoolcoachnowmom is right. You should let the child make decisions, and support her along even if she wants to take time off. I'm sure whatever your daughter(?) decides will be the right decision. If you don't mind me asking, how old is she/he?

She's 11. Been struggling off and on for over a year with her level 3 skills. She has solid level 2 skills and is on a level 2 team which suddenly she's blocking on as of last Sunday. Won't even do a back walkover. No reason. She says she's just scared.

I've tried everything. Ignoring it. Supporting her. Letting her take the lead. Extra privates. At this point she's going to get pulled from her team (the coach has told me this and Told CP this as well) I'm not sure that helped anything.

I'm just sick... We have spent so much money (that we really didn't have )this year transitioning her to a new gym because that's what she wanted. Have paid for all these travel comps... New uniform, hotels, etc... For her to get pulled. I feel like I'm gonna throw up.

I didn't say any of this to CP. I'm just venting here. Thanks for listening. :(

I feel your pain-been dealing with it for a year and half on and off. Have gone from throwing her fulls in major competitions to bailing on back tuck. She goes up and down with it-we have many a fights and it pains me to watch her be on a team where she doesn't fully contribute. She takes a step forward and then 10 back. She was an incredible tumbler before this happened and still has a beautiful full when she throws it. I have no words of advice only that I wish this upon no one.

I only hope she can once again work through it or she will find herself on a much lower level of a team next year for both all star and high school. Then the decision needs to be made if she even continues.

The coach telling her she's going to be pulled from the team is certainly not going to help her at all! When my CP did gymnastics, there was a very talented girl a few years older than her who just blocked on a BHS on the beam, the coaches said it was a vestibular issue and them trying to push her would not help at all in fact would just make it worse. She ended up repeating Level 5 for another year and by the end of that year the BHS on beam came back:). If the coaches had forced the issue she may well have quit. Good luck with your daughter, I hope it works out!

The coach telling her she's going to be pulled from the team is certainly not going to help her at all! When my CP did gymnastics, there was a very talented girl a few years older than her who just blocked on a BHS on the beam, the coaches said it was a vestibular issue and them trying to push her would not help at all in fact would just make it worse. She ended up repeating Level 5 for another year and by the end of that year the BHS on beam came back:). If the coaches had forced the issue she may well have quit. Good luck with your daughter, I hope it works out!

I was shocked when they told her that she would be pulled. This was the first practice she'd ever done that. I could see if it were an ongoing issue, but... Now it is.

We did privates and extra practices last week. She was throwing everything beautifully again by Thursday and they said she could stay in for the comp. then Sunday rolled around. She did a round off and didn't throw anything out of it and landed on her butt. Started crying because she was embarrassed and Wouldn't throw anything else the remainder of practice. :/ was freaking out about even doing a back walk over.

I wish I could just fix it. Hate seeing her so upset.

It sounds like she needs a break and I agree that her coaches attitude are only going to compound the issue and not help her. Fear is an interesting motivator, but it rarely works as others try to use it---ie, fear will keep her ground bound, the fear of being pulled won't work long term. I'm sorry you're in the financial spot you're in and that you've had to commit to ABC,XYZ because as a parent, that just sucks especially when you're doing everything they ask for and bam. I also wish I had a magic cure for mental blocks, sadly they just have to run their course with no real times table for when they go away (if it goes away). :(

Mental blocks are the worst and my CP struggled for the last 3 years. Hers were due to injuries and she was scared to throw any skill that involved how she got hurt. I have no advice on how to get over mental blocks and we didn't really do anything to help her other than just backing off and letter her decide what she would do regarding tumbling. I can say this year she has come a long way and has everything she had before the mental blocks started and more. Her other problem is that she is a perfectionist and won't throw a skill unless she thinks its perfect.

Maybe you can talk privately to the gym about the financial side of it. If they care about your business, than they will try to work with you. Obviously you aren't entitled to money back that has already been used (uniform, practice wear, past coaching fees) but they might be able to return some of the competition fees or coaching fees that have not been applied.

Also, I think giving your kiddo a break for a week, 2 weeks will help. Her body can get some rest and her mind can re-set. Her tumbling might come back if she stops focusing on it for a little while.

I really feel your pain and hers, too. I can't believe that they're pulling her from the team just because of tumbling. There is so much more on the score sheet. That kind of makes me mad, actually.
I agree that a break could be beneficial. I know that it helped CP.

Pulling a kid from a team is definitely not an easy decision for staff, either.

That may be the gym's policy.

Ex: There are gyms that require Worlds team athletes to maintain the required tumbling skills for that team with the understanding that they will be removed if they don't/can't.

That doesn't mean it's easy for coaches to actually follow through on it.

Also, sometimes not being on XYZ team removes the pressure to throw the skill. It is stressful when you know you can't throw something, you have a comp coming up, and you're wondering if you're going to be a nugget this weekend. Becoming an alternate on that team, and participating on a team where you actually CAN throw something can sometimes build confidence because the athlete no longer feels like they're "chasing skills." (Ex: Competing on Level 4 and being an alternate on 5.)

Of course every kid and gym is different and I hope you figure out a situation that works for you.

Last edited:
I was shocked when they told her that she would be pulled. This was the first practice she'd ever done that. I could see if it were an ongoing issue, but... Now it is.

We did privates and extra practices last week. She was throwing everything beautifully again by Thursday and they said she could stay in for the comp. then Sunday rolled around. She did a round off and didn't throw anything out of it and landed on her butt. Started crying because she was embarrassed and Wouldn't throw anything else the remainder of practice. :/ was freaking out about even doing a back walk over.

I wish I could just fix it. Hate seeing her so upset.

Im so sorry this is happening to her! Do you feel like it's just the coaches bluffing trying to snap her out of it or do they actually have a team to move her to? You said 2 ..... Do they have a level 1 team? (Asking because if it's a bluff it's a poorly executed one)

Back