High School Michigan High School Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

got it, is there a reason for this or is it just that they want to keep the competition moving?
each round is limited to a certain amount of time, and from the moment you start motions/words/whatever, the clock is running and doesn't stop until you leave the mat, and no coach wants deductions for their rounds going over the time limit because the girls were standing around on the mat.

Its completely sexist IMO. But it's all because of title 9, there has to be an even number of boy/girl sports and thats the reason why girls can join wrestling or football, but since there are more men's sports boys can't join the cheer team and in Michigan there aren't enough boys to even have a coed division in high school. Even in all star there are only a handful of boys that cheer.

That may be their justification but I'm fairly sure they can't use that as an excuse, if there is an interest I believe they have to allow it to happen. While I have no idea why anyone would rather cheer in Michigan rather than for an allstar program (other than $$$$) but if the schools are taking federal funding, I'm no lawyer (yet), but as I understand it they are in clear violation of title IX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX
http://www.ncwge.org/PDF/TitleIXat35.pdf

The only issue is the "three prong test" test number one. Michigan may be pointing to that in their defense and they may have ground to stand on, I have no idea. But if that is what allows them to exclude this boy from competition I believe it goes against the spirit of the law.

And non legally, just out of curiosity, why would they not allow allstar cheerleaders to compete? What people do outside of school funded activities is of no consequence to them, exceptions being illegal, immoral or destructive behavior of course.

The girls head nod so much in each routine that they look like they have a medically diagnosed twitch. While they're sharp, I couldnt get through watching the routines.......its very 1980's cheer with all of the motions and repetitions and head nods. It about killed me when they went into squad splitz. I feel sorry everyone living in that state that wants to cheer at school!

I lived my whole life cheering in Illinois, always in all-star and one year competing for high school... Now, I go to college in Michigan at Grand Valley State. Only a few of us in the program are not from Michigan, and a bunch of the girls work for Champion Staff which is like NCA/UCA staff for Michigan high school cheer. IT IS SO STRANGE to hear them talk about and watch them do Michigan cheer! SO much arm swinging, and slapping, and their motions are so different! Their arms are so far back in their motions. Not to mention, running tumbling is very rare which is so strange to me. I've met girls here who have a solid standing tuck, but they cannot do a ro bhs???? I love my team, but the way most of them learned to cheer is so unusual to me.

Has anyone heard of Woodhaven High School? A girl from there is moving to Minnesota and is trying out for my team. Do they do full ups or anything? A vid would be great. I don't know anything about Michigan high school cheer.

Yeah, there is one girl on my team who has been doing cheer like this since middle school, and she loses her voice about once a week...:confused:
That one girl on your team should yell from her diaphram. Thats what judges look for.

Last edited:
To be honest, I like it cheering in this format. If everyone on the team has a back tuck besides say, three girls, they can take the girls that don't have it out of round two. So more people get to cheer and compete, regardless of their tumbling skills.

To be honest, I like it cheering in this format. If everyone on the team has a back tuck besides say, three girls, they can take the girls that don't have it out of round two. So more people get to cheer and compete, regardless of their tumbling skills.
Thats what I like about this format too.

Last edited:
It's like you can show absolutely no personality until the routine is over at which point you have less than 5 seconds to go as crazy as you want to. It's different, but interesting. I miss the music most.

Ew why would you ever choose this over Allstar? The yelling, random splits, and boring motion aspect of it just kills me. So not cheer. More like a military cheer routine

Ew why would you ever choose this over Allstar? The yelling, random splits, and boring motion aspect of it just kills me. So not cheer. More like a military cheer routine

There aren't very many gyms in Michigan. I didn't even know what Allstar cheer was until two months ago. I also didn't know that this was different than the rest of the country. So I guess we haven't really been exposed to anything different. Plus it has a lot more upsides than you would expect, like allowing girls to compete who may not be as good at tumbling as the rest of the team. Even though they may not compete in all three rounds, they are still as much apart of the win as any other team member.

There aren't very many gyms in Michigan. I didn't even know what Allstar cheer was until two months ago. I also didn't know that this was different than the rest of the country. So I guess we haven't really been exposed to anything different. Plus it has a lot more upsides than you would expect, like allowing girls to compete who may not be as good at tumbling as the rest of the team. Even though they may not compete in all three rounds, they are still as much apart of the win as any other team member.
The same concept of rounds is also in STUNT, which is doing a high school level of competition this season, minus the splits and concentration on only standing tumbling. It does make the competition more fun, as girls from your own team can cheer you on throughout different parts (since not everyone is in every routine). The concept of Michigan cheer still makes me shutter a bit however, with all of the head bobbling and splits requirements.

Back