All-Star Micro Flyers And Their Dilemma (refuse To Use The Hated "f" Name!)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I saw lots of LGS yesterday, but it seemed to be mostly from very small gyms who were just putting a team out there with what their gym had available. One team specifically had two very small flyers (looked to be about 5 or 6 years old!) One stayed very tight in the air, the other just looked like a little rag doll they were throwing around. The tight girl looked OK...the other did NOT!

As for the college weight requirement, I will never forget my sister deciding NOT to try out for college cheer because she knew that they were only looking for girls 90lbs or under! My sister was an amazing cheerleader, and at 5'2" and weighing about 105lb I couldn't believe she didn't feel like she would make the team! She chose the dance team instead and went on to cheer for an NFL team, so I guess it all worked out in the end! :cheering:

Squeeze that penny! ;)
The sad thing is that 9 times out of 10 it is LGS flyer's mommies who go about loudly complaining that it is all the bases' fault that LGS' stunt fell. The remaining 1 realizes it takes the whole group and her LGS may have played a role.
And what is tough is that the top girl won't even realize she is doing it, even after coaches tell her to fix it. It is one of those things that has to be felt out and experienced. Once it clicks for them its a world different!

My CP is a base and would rather base a bigger flyer who pulls up tight and fights for her stunt than a little flyer who makes no effort to stay up.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
This. I've had two pretty young/small flyers the past 2 seasons, and the flyer I had last season never pulled her weight and made the stunt fall constantly. I have a different flyer (and a different gym, fyi) this year and she is a little bigger than the last but not much, and she pulls her weight and does her job and we rarely ever have problems. I have also based girls who were 2 yrs older than me and they do their job and while it was weird basing someone that was taller/weighed more she didn't ever come down!

I just read the whole thread and there were too many points that I want to comment on, so I am just going to focus on one part and to ask a general question.

Don't you think that it comes back to you as a parent to seek out a different gym if you feel so strongly that your tiny flyer is too young to meld with an older junior or senior team? We belong to a smaller gym where you move straight into Junior teams from minis. They have not had enough younger kids to make an Youth team (at least for the few years we have been at there). My cp is young and might be moving up next season or she might do another year on minis before aging out. All of the things that have been mentioned here have gone through my mind. Luckily, I feel secure that her coaches will put where they feel she will thrive. They know her work ethic, talents, weaknesses and social capabilities. If I didn't feel secure with their choices , I would be looking at other gyms.

I think that sometimes people forget that they have a choice.

(I am not trying to sound snotty. I am just saying that I think that most gyms do their best doing placement and they are often limited in their options.They aren;t being Punks. Judging a team for having smaller/younger kids on it might come from necessity.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back