College Middle Layer Girls

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
Everybody knows the top girl on a coed cheerleading squad as she's usually one of the smallest girls on the squad and has the ability to not only tumble and fly in partner stunts and basket tosses but also serve as the top girl in pyramids.

Which brings me to the middle layer girls. While middle layer girls tumble as well as fly in partner stunts, they're usually taller than the top girls and serve as the girls who support the top girl in pyramids. In addition, middle layer girls rarely fly in basket tosses as a result.

What do you think about middle layer girls?

Kentucky Girl, will you be attending UCA College Nationals next month?

Nope, but I will be following the UK cheerleaders and dancers online. I wish I could've been in Orlando, oh well. And good luck to your Memphis cheerleaders and dancers, collegecheermum!

Um there are many teams who have "middle layer" girls who are "top layer" girls previously or at some other point in the year (games and such). Not sure where you continue to get your information about what each person on a team does but I don't think being a "middle layer" girl means you don't do baskets. It is usually just whatever works in the routine. Teams like Louisville and HPU have almost all the girls from the pryamid fly in their basket section.

These threads really make me scratch/shake my head

Um there are many teams who have "middle layer" girls who are "top layer" girls previously or at some other point in the year (games and such). Not sure where you continue to get your information about what each person on a team does but I don't think being a "middle layer" girl means you don't do baskets. It is usually just whatever works in the routine. Teams like Louisville and HPU have almost all the girls from the pryamid fly in their basket section.

These threads really make me scratch/shake my head

Definitely. At the NCA College Nationals, you have 20 participants which allows everyone to serve numerous roles compared to the UCA College Nationals which you generally have nine guys and seven girls to work with.

I am a 'middle layer girl' in our nationals routine this year. Interestingly enough, our other 'middle layer girl' and I are both the teams strongest bases. In my opinion, our coach couldn't have made a better decision. It's pretty funny watching traditional bases in the air catching a 2-2-1, especially because when it doesn't hit perfectly (our natural reaction is to act as a base- I'll tell the top girl to put more weight on me so the other middle layer can adjust her side). This also acts perfectly because we are the bases for the 2-1-1s (we drop from a prep to a thighstand).

I am a 'middle layer girl' in our nationals routine this year. Interestingly enough, our other 'middle layer girl' and I are both the teams strongest bases. In my opinion, our coach couldn't have made a better decision. It's pretty funny watching traditional bases in the air catching a 2-2-1, especially because when it doesn't hit perfectly (our natural reaction is to act as a base- I'll tell the top girl to put more weight on me so the other middle layer can adjust her side). This also acts perfectly because we are the bases for the 2-1-1s (we drop from a prep to a thighstand).

Let me guess: you cheer for Coastal Carolina University?

Considering I have posted numerous times on the College section advocating Coastal Carolina, my username is xCoastalCheer, and my location states Conway, SC... yes, I'd say that's a pretty educated guess you've made.
Don't forget....your signature has a pic of you in front of a Coastal Carolina sign!
PS: I remember getting a look book from them (back in the dark ages, before the internet for college recruiting) and to this day I remember how gorgeous that school was/is!

Don't forget....your signature has a pic of you in front of a Coastal Carolina sign!
PS: I remember getting a look book from them (back in the dark ages, before the internet for college recruiting) and to this day I remember how gorgeous that school was/is!
The campus is so beautiful, I really love it! And you can't beat being close to the beach (except it makes it really hard to go to class when it's nice out!:cool:)

The campus is so beautiful, I really love it! And you can't beat being close to the beach (except it makes it really hard to go to class when it's nice out!:cool:)

No lie, when I pulled out a map (yup, pre internet and Google Maps) and saw how close it was to the beach I knew I could never go to school there because I'd have a 4.0 in surfing and sunning, but an 0.0 in academics!
I remember the look book cover was a photo of a cupola with pillars holding it up and I thought "that's what a college should look like!"

Hey! I am originally from Conway... all my mom's relatives live there, Aynor, an the beach. I have a few cousins kids going to Costal Carolina. :)

What high school did you go to?

Back