All-Star "mini" Problem

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 22, 2012
I am the Director of a small gym, and because we have limited space we hold tryouts for all of our teams. With that said this year we had 42, yes 42 mini aged children register.
We hate turning any kids away, but we especially hate turning mini's away! And they are all level 1 cheerleaders! We really only want 16-18 on our competition team....
Suggestions?

I forgot to mention that try outs are next week so our evaluation process hasnt started yet, we are trying to be pro-active as to what to do with all these little babies who really want to cheer :(

Perhaps divide them into two teams of 20 (Lets assume 2 quit).

One team can be the competitive "travel" team that maybe you take to a few extra competitions, etc. Fill this team with the kiddos that have Back Walkovers and/or comprehend better.

Make the other team an "exhibition team" that doesn't travel outside of local comps. Maybe the kids with bad attention spans or zero tumbling. Get their feet wet with basics before throwing them in to compete.

Charge the exhibition team a little less tuition.

Perhaps divide them into two teams of 20 (Lets assume 2 quit).

One team can be the competitive "travel" team that maybe you take to a few extra competitions, etc. Fill this team with the kiddos that have Back Walkovers and/or comprehend better.

Make the other team an "exhibition team" that doesn't travel outside of local comps. Maybe the kids with bad attention spans or zero tumbling. Get their feet wet with basics before throwing them in to compete.

Charge the exhibition team a little less tuition.
This is what I was going to suggest. You could also make the "B" team a prep team that competes in the All Star Prep division.

do NOT turn anyone away! I think the regular mini and mini prep idea is a great one, or if you have enough mature ones make a youth 1 and mini 1. You will have some drop throughout the season. I am watching a gym that didn't focus enough on their lower level and younger teams go downhill very quickly in enrollment. Your minis are your future - don't let them go!!

do NOT turn anyone away! I think the regular mini and mini prep idea is a great one, or if you have enough mature ones make a youth 1 and mini 1. You will have some drop throughout the season. I am watching a gym that didn't focus enough on their lower level and younger teams go downhill very quickly in enrollment. Your minis are your future - don't let them go!!

I 100% agree with this. If you turn them away, you might as well shut your doors now and save yourself the hassle.

Okay first I think it is awesome that 42 register. Is there another gym in your area? Perhaps some are trying out at both? Also once some parents understand your expectations they may decide this is not the activity for their child or the right place to start it. Will you have a parent meeting prior to try outs - encouraging them to come to one and learn about your program and what will be expected from the girls and cost wise from them could make a difference in how many girls you end up with in the end. You may find that if you ask parents if they are interested in a a mini versus a mini prep that you get a pretty equal divide (never know). I think running 2 teams might be the way to go. You may want to also offer a camp for a week or special clinics and some kids may decide you know this is not what I want to do and then you have a manageable 1 team. Basically while I know it seems overwhelming take it as a compliment that these parents are wanting their kids to learn about this great sport at your gym. Maybe ask your coaches what ideas they have and if you have some seniors perhaps they can junior coach and help out making this more manageable and helping them learn some skills as coaches!

You need to make 2 Small teams. If you are at the same location you will not compete against each other. If one team has 16-18 on it then you may be split at NCA for the A & B division. Make sure they practice on different days because no matter what, parents will. Think one team is better than the other! Make sure that each team receives the same type of coaching and no favoritism!

OR

If you have some youth aged kids make a young youth 1 with it also!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

What is the age difference between a mini team and a tiny team? It always confuses me.
tiny is 5 and under, mini is 8 and under and youth is 11 and under according to the usasf age guidelines! based on this you could definitely do a mini and youth team if there is no minimum age!

tiny is 5 and under, mini is 8 and under and youth is 11 and under according to the usasf age guidelines! based on this you could definitely do a mini and youth team if there is no minimum age!
Than you! For some reason I always thought mini was younger aged kids than tiny. This clears it all up :)

Make 2 mini teams and they alternate competitions or have 3 teams and two alternate comps and the 3rd team is mini prep and that can hold the younger minis.

Back