Mock Tick Tock

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 3, 2011
Corsicab my team does a mock tick tock in our quad stunts. The flyer is in a lib, the bases bring her down (as if doing a power press) the back spot places her hand in the ankle of the lib foot and she tick tocks as she is pressed back up.

I was under the impression that as long as the back spot has contact on the ankle, this is legal. My choreographer is pretty good at knowing his rules, so I was surprised we were docked for this. It to mention, we have other release moves in the quad stunt that were not counted as illegal.

Please let me know your thoughts. I have no idea how to post a video on here or else I would.

Thank you.

I can't answer your legality question, but if you put a video on youtube and copy and paste the link it'll show up. :) idk any other way

What level? If it is prep to prep, with the backspot holding the ankle, it's level 2 legal. Below prep is level 1 legal and prep to extended is level 3 legal.

It should be noted that the backspot needs to have the ankle before the switch is initiated. If s/he doesn't grab until the bases are releasing, it's illegal.

Corsicab my team does a mock tick tock in our quad stunts. The flyer is in a lib, the bases bring her down (as if doing a power press) the back spot places her hand in the ankle of the lib foot and she tick tocks as she is pressed back up.

I was under the impression that as long as the back spot has contact on the ankle, this is legal. My choreographer is pretty good at knowing his rules, so I was surprised we were docked for this. It to mention, we have other release moves in the quad stunt that were not counted as illegal.

Please let me know your thoughts. I have no idea how to post a video on here or else I would.

Thank you.

What level? I'm assuming 3?

According to AACCA and NFHS rules (which the IHSA follows) this skill should be legal. If you were docked it was probably due to execution of the skill in which the backspot grabbed too late and the flyer had a moment of "release" from the bases.

AcaseA I watched our video a million times to see if that was the case and it wasn't. They marked on our deduction sheet that we needed to have a bracer on one side for tick tocks!

I knew we had combed through the rules and that our mock tick tock was legal!

AcaseA I watched our video a million times to see if that was the case and it wasn't. They marked on our deduction sheet that we needed to have a bracer on one side for tick tocks!

I knew we had combed through the rules and that our mock tick tock was legal!

I choreographed for a high school team in Illinois this summer (and several others out here in California) so I am pretty familiar with the high school rules. However, I do not have a copy of the IHSA cheer rule book, so if there are any variations from the NFHS and AACCA rules (which I don't think there are... at least in regards to this rules question) that would be the only reason this stunt would be illegal.

Here is a screen shot from the website cheerrules.com (an excellent resource)

The poster asked about the exact stunt you performed and Jim Lord (the director of AACCA) responded saying this is legal.

ScreenShot2012-12-24at24648PM_zpsbcaae8db.png

I choreographed for a high school team in Illinois this summer (and several others out here in California) so I am pretty familiar with the high school rules. However, I do not have a copy of the IHSA cheer rule book, so if there are any variations from the NFHS and AACCA rules (which I don't think there are... at least in regards to this rules question) that would be the only reason this stunt would be illegal.

Here is a screen shot from the website cheerrules.com (an excellent resource)

The poster asked about the exact stunt you performed and Jim Lord (the director of AACCA) responded saying this is legal.

ScreenShot2012-12-24at24648PM_zpsbcaae8db.png

THANK YOU for the screen shot of this! I wish I would have argued at the comp, because it took us from 3rd to dead last due to the 10 point deduction! I wanted to be absolutely positive that it was a legal stunt before attempting to argue it though!

Thank you to everyone who replied!

I knew it. Cant beleive you got docked for it!

Sorry I'm late to the party here!! I took a brief break from all things cheer for a couple days! :)

Yes, that is totally legal and they shouldn't have docked you for it.

One time when I was coaching hs we did a pyramid that didn't have a release in it and they said we didn't have backspots for the shoulder sits so it was illegal. It made the difference in whether or not we qualified for ICCA Championships. I had to personally deliver the video to Mickey Clement to show her that we did not release, they held onto the foot the whole time. Unfortunately, judges aren't perfect and think they see things they don't. :( I have been waiting for someone to do this mock tick tock in IL for a long time!! (Thank you Rudags!) Do you have a video of your routine? I'd love to see it!

Sorry I'm late to the party here!! I took a brief break from all things cheer for a couple days! :)

One time when I was coaching hs we did a pyramid that didn't have a release in it and they said we didn't have backspots for the shoulder sits so it was illegal. It made the difference in whether or not we qualified for ICCA Championships. I had to personally deliver the video to Mickey Clement to show her that we did not release, they held onto the foot the whole time. Unfortunately, judges aren't perfect and think they see things they don't. :( I have been waiting for someone to do this mock tick tock in IL for a long time!! (Thank you Rudags!) Do you have a video of your routine? I'd love to see it!

Fenton (cheer coach k's team) has a lot of creativity in it this year. I wasn't at the Conant competition but from what I was told, she had the most creativity as far as entries, exits, and transitions. (Sidenote: Minooka Varsity has some great Pyramid Elements as well that I did) However, her scores did not reflect creativity very well so I am curious what she is told once she hears back from ICCA. Fenton is a great stunting team (last year they were hitting Ball up 360 ticks rocks (for fun of course) if that tells you their capabilities) so I was disappointed to hear stunts did not score well. Fenton has three stunt sequences if I can remember. They have an Elite sequence, a unique/visual sequence as well as a quantity stunt sequence (I have never seen quantity stunts put up in Illinois, even from a Coed team) but yet no one noticed.

This scares me because I was told that for a release you could have your bracer be in a shoulder sit without backspot. Yikes! I hope they fixed the mistake and you were able ot compete at state.

Back