Music!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It should increase. Because it will take more time. Bottom line. This isn't speculation. This is professional opinion. I'm don't think this is the biggest problem. Volume is. Not enough talented producers and even the talented ones will experience burnout. Have you heard the "all original" mix kyle blitch did for cali regulators? Peep his sound cloud. And welcome to the future of cheer music.

925 even seems low to me. I am a sound designer in the commercial ad world. Have been working in some form of commercial music most of my life. A thirty second piece of original music would run anywhere from 15-25K Now I understand the use of a cheer mix is nominal in comparison to a national campaign that runs for the better part of a year. You might use it 6 times a year. Still, this is original content. I think 925 bucks is a great deal if you like their sound. I think the bigger question is why varsity can't pay the very inexpensive blanket license fee's associated with your average performance mix. They make millions off comp fees and can't pay a $5000 in licensing? Absurd. Maybe I don't understand what exactly is happening in a cheer mix.

Just for clarity's sake; Varsity DOES pay the inexpensive competition license to ASCAP and BMI. That's not the issue. The issue is Derivative Works (aka remixes) of copyrighted music; and this is where things get into a gray area very quickly. There is no such thing as a blanket license for remixes; every single remix ever created technically needs to get cleared (and paid for) from each of the artists involved. This has to do with permission to alter a copyrighted master recording, which is rarely ever granted, even at any price.

Last edited:
Just for clarity's sake; Varsity DOES pay the inexpensive competition license to ASCAP and BMI. That's not the issue. The issue is Derivative Works (aka remixes) of copyrighted music; and this is where things get into a gray area very quickly. There is no such thing as a blanket license for remixes; every single remix ever created technically needs to get cleared (and paid for) from each of the artists involved. This has much more to do with mechanical rights, which are not granted in all instances, even at any price. For instance, Foo Fighters does not allow their music be used on SYTYCD. Normally mechanical rights are only a concern in broadcast situations; otherwise the generic competition license covers use in civic centers, auditoriums, etc. What is new with Varsity is interpreting the laws such that the broadcast rules seems to apply everywhere and in all situations.

No there isn't.. thats called a mechanical. Would require artist, label, and publishing owner approval. You don't typically pay for live performance of a remixed work. key word "live performance" If you did every modern DJ in the world would be getting slapped with law suits and so would mix show DJ's. No single would ever gain traction and every label in the world would be dead. Every single record that was played at ultra music fest this year was a remixed work. or re-edited. Mixed and or mashed up with another record. I think Ultra Music fest is a little bigger than your average GSSA or USASF event. This is why when I'm paid to remix an artist I typically sign over all publishing and this is the way its always worked. Its too messy to keep up with. I get paid set fee and walk. Labels could care less about some cheer competition and it doesn't matter how many impressions it gets. Its covered under the venues blanket license. What they do care about is these amateur cheer producers making mixes and selling them on their websites 70-80 times in a season as a "pre-made" mix and at 400-500 a pop. With a beyonce vocal all over it.. lol...
Thats crap. and thats who should be prosecuted.
The second part of their grievance is that it gets posted on youtube by whatever cheer fan and the song is never credited as being used. But i promise you the 6 times a year its played at an event is the least of any label owner or artist worries.
It may be technically illegal.. but it isn't policed and there is no way to police it. I could say I was paid to DJ live at their event. Good luck with that lawsuit. Same reason why Girl talk is begging them to sue him. They know better. Because he would most likely win a fair use case.

Back