All-Star My Daughter Wants To Quit Allstar Cheer...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

as an athlete, i think the worst thing a parent can do is force their child to stay with something they no longer desire to partake in. it is still very early in the season, and while i don't think athletes should be allowed to quit whenever they choose, i'm sure leaving now wouldn't hurt. and, if you force her to stay, not only may she dislike the sport even more, tension between you and her might amount. i say, let her quit. let her miss it. and then let her go back next year.

I had to take the season off this year due to alot of reasons complied together. I need to work alot to start saving for college spending money next year. And being captain of my HS cheer team, I couldnt ask my employer to have off monday,tuesday,wednesday for practice. friday for football decorating. saturday for football games and sunday for competitions. Also my mom is really sick and cheerleading shouldnt be a financial or physical burden. I was given the choice but I respected my parents and situation and decided to take the season off, and since Im going to college in a year, Im probably done with allstar until my kids are in it lol. Long story short, Its only been a couple months and I miss it SO much. Even the nasty hot summer weather and conditioning. Explain to her its going to be a loonggg year without cheerleading at its a pretty permanent solution, just make sure shes ready to face a season without cheering

By any chance did your daughter progress quickly before making level 5? You said she was 12? Sometimes when kids progress too fast their brain will put the breaks on..... resulting in mental blocks or quitting.

When my daughter was 12 she quit gymnastics. She looked right at me one night and said she was "ready to quit". Something in the discussion made me realize it was time. Mentally she had been preparing herself to quit for awhile. She knew she was done but had to convince herself first. Make sure you really listen and always leave the door open to return. She will find her way. Lay the ground work and let her lead the way.

She's only 12. Let her quit and have a break. She may miss it or maybe not, but give her the opportunity to find out.

My oldest daughter took some time off from cheer and was able to play volleyball for a season. She did go back to cheer, but has said many times how much she really enjoyed playing volleyball. She's now in college and hasn't cheered for two years. She misses the competition, but not enough to make the time commitment and likes having time for other things.

i think u should motivate her and tell her all the times and good times she had on her 5 years of cheering and how she made it to open level 5 and how great that is.And thenask her if she really does want to quit cheering, and if she still does want to quit let her quit:)

I would definatly explain to her like others said what her life will be like withought cheerleading and tell her theres no more traveling,seeing your cheer friends all the time, no more competitons and that stuff. But if she decides she doesnt want to do it, dont force her if she doesnt want to be there. If you have someone on a team who doesnt want to do it, it can hurt the team. They might not be trying, they could give up, or just be lazy about things. So its best to just let her do what she wants but definatly keep her in tumbling because if she does decide she misses it and wants to come back that she doesnt have to re learn things and be set back a long time for making a decision she didnt mean and regretts.

-Best of luck and i hope everything works out for you and your daughter.

I felt the same way and by the time next season started coming closer, I was dying to go back. Listen to what everyone is saying: if she really misses it, it's what she really wants to do! :) But don't force her to stay in it if she says she doesn't want to, even if you think she eventually will want to.

When my daughter was 12 she quit gymnastics. She looked right at me one night and said she was "ready to quit". Something in the discussion made me realize it was time. Mentally she had been preparing herself to quit for awhile. She knew she was done but had to convince herself first. Make sure you really listen and always leave the door open to return. She will find her way. Lay the ground work and let her lead the way.

Mine quit gymnastics at 7 and even with her being so young, it was a good decision for her. She was just starting competitive gymnastics. It was difficult for me because her dream was to go to the olympics. But now she is loving allstar cheer. My point is... Let her explore other options for a year, keep her tumbling, and next year she (and you ;)) can re-evaluate.

Maybe you should spend a little time trying to get to the root of the problem. Is it really that's she's burned out or are some kids on the team being mean to her? Maybe she isn't having as much fun as she did with her old coaches- would following them to the new gym be something she might want to think about?
It seems like you've both made a commitment to he sport
And it would be a shame to walk away too quickly BUT I agree with others not to push her if she truly does want a year off.

i quit in august of last summer, and by october i was missing cheer so much, so i did a half yeart team. i just needed a break... i'd let her try it for a few more weeks, and remind her of what she'd be missing out on if she quits. if she quits and by competiton season she misses it, have her do the half year team. :) good luck to you and your daughter!!

when i was younger i quit cheering too! i was like 9 but lol, it was in 2000 and i only did it for 3 seasons, it was a new gym one of the first mini/youth teams in our area, alot of work i just didnt like it.. i quit for like 4 years then i came back to... i love itt, ohh when i quit my mom cried lol, i know it sounds pathetic but she loved watching me do it and since i was there all the time all her friends were there. She was so happy when i told her i wanted to join again.

let me tell you, nothing in the world(I don't mean this literally) sucks as much as watching a cheer competition and not competing. let her quit if she wants, she'll realize she missed it when she goes to that first competition, or misses a day she'd normally be practicing, and as many said above, if she doesn't realized she misses it, then she made the right decition.

Let her try other things! It may be hard to explore outside of your comfort zone of cheerleading, but she's at the age where nothing is too competitive yet and it's a great time to try out new sports or activities. She could wind up being a great artist, good at an instrument, or even get a scholarship to college for soccer! You'll never know until she tries. Good Luck :)

Back