All-Star My Nca Rant!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The Sixth

Cheer Parent
Apr 27, 2010
What an amazing weekend for NCA. Saw so many absolutely fantastic performances. Loved to hear the crowd get into it as well. It felt like no matter where I was sitting, I was always in the current team's fan section! But with that said, here are my buzzkills:

Omni Hotel: If you are going to be a host hotel, please staff accordingly. Don't use the excuse that you are processing so many check-ins that housekeeping can't make rooms available on time. Especially not for over $200 a night. You have the reservations, you know the rooms will be used, it should be no surprise ppl are coming.

NCA: We all love the laser light show, and production value. But the super bright lights should NEVER be used at all. I hope it doesn't affect athletes on the floor, but from the stands, a few performances I was seeing flash spots the whole routine!

Spectators: This is a rant I have at almost any comp actually. But I know NCA is/was really strict in the letter halls about not letting ppl move around. At least in the arena, fans and athletes alike, is it really THAT hard to wait in between performances to move up and down the aisles??? I understand NCA is pretty fast about moving teams in and out; but I never had any problem getting to my nosebleed seat all weekend in between teams. YOU may not care about the team on the floor, but that doesn't mean other ppl don't. I used to think it was common knowledge, and common courtesy not to be up walking around during performances. Guess not, and I wish NCA would announce reminders for everybody.

Sportsmanship: This isn't so much a rant, as just something I think is amusing. I'm not naive enough to believe that even the folks that preach great sportsmanship have never said anything bad about someone else. But keep it behind closed doors. It amazes me what some athletes will say, when they either think the ppl next to them don't care what they are saying, or just don't give a crap.

I think spectators annoyed me this weekend more than anything else. People were just rude. And for the first time in all the years I have been involved in cheer with my kids, this was the 1st year I actually thought I was going to get into a fight with someone in the arena. We had come in to watch IOC before running back to D Hall for Jr 2, we quickly found seats and sat as a group (probably 7 or 8 of us) the section next to us was filled with Spirit fans. When IOC came out we stood up doing our cheer and waited for them to start. If you know anything about our gym it's that we stay standing for the entire routine! IOC starts and I feel someone full on yanking on my shirt (I don't mean a tap or tug but like trying to pull me down into my seat). I turn around and some random lady says "You need to sit down!" I tell her "Oh this is our gym, we always stand." The response I get is "I don't care you need to sit down". Now I could understand if I was cheering for SE, by all means I'll sit, but this was our gym, our coaches team! I told her "NO! We are not sitting down get over yourself!" She tells me "Well that is just so rude!" I say "Lady I don't even know who you are? So unless you want me to go find security don't touch me again!"
If you want to see the team sooooo bad then stand up!! We were halfway up the upper section of the arena so I know you can at least climb stairs...no reason you can't stand like everyone else! We ended up leaving right after they were done but I was so angry I never went back to the arena Sunday.
Oh and evidently people don't understand what "you can't save seats" means. One group was trying to hold a section for themselves with blankets. This is not a local cracker jack competition people, it's NCA. If you want those seats so bad then sit in them and get there early like everyone else!

I think spectators annoyed me this weekend more than anything else. People were just rude. And for the first time in all the years I have been involved in cheer with my kids, this was the 1st year I actually thought I was going to get into a fight with someone in the arena. We had come in to watch IOC before running back to D Hall for Jr 2, we quickly found seats and sat as a group (probably 7 or 8 of us) the section next to us was filled with Spirit fans. When IOC came out we stood up doing our cheer and waited for them to start. If you know anything about our gym it's that we stay standing for the entire routine! IOC starts and I feel someone full on yanking on my shirt (I don't mean a tap or tug but like trying to pull me down into my seat). I turn around and some random lady says "You need to sit down!" I tell her "Oh this is our gym, we always stand." The response I get is "I don't care you need to sit down". Now I could understand if I was cheering for SE, by all means I'll sit, but this was our gym, our coaches team! I told her "NO! We are not sitting down get over yourself!" She tells me "Well that is just so rude!" I say "Lady I don't even know who you are? So unless you want me to go find security don't touch me again!"
If you want to see the team sooooo bad then stand up!! We were halfway up the upper section of the arena so I know you can at least climb stairs...no reason you can't stand like everyone else! We ended up leaving right after they were done but I was so angry I never went back to the arena Sunday.
Oh and evidently people don't understand what "you can't save seats" means. One group was trying to hold a section for themselves with blankets. This is not a local cracker jack competition people, it's NCA. If you want those seats so bad then sit in them and get there early like everyone else!
I'm sorry... But at the arena at nca... I would be upset if you stood for a performance... Others have a right to see your team too...I would have asked you in a kind way but I would have asked...

I think even if it is your gym other people have the right to see your team too they paid to get into the competition and they want to not just see their own child or gym they want to see others. I would have been mad if you were in front of me and i wanted to see them and couldnt becuase you were standing and refuded to sit down ... thats my opinion it just seems rude to be standing and in someone elses way no matter the team

I think you have to adapt your behavior to the environment. At a typical competition, you are going to be surrounded (for the most part) by people from your gym, and standing together is expected. But at NCA, people are there to see not only their own teams, but those from gyms they may rarely, or never see again. We cheered as hard as we always do, but we did it from our seats.

Not going to lie, I probbaly would have been mad and started yelling at you, too. I almost killed some Mom's at UCA one time over this. It's kind of a ripple affect, and then everyone behind them would have had to stand, and you never know if someone's grandparents are up there and not able to stand easily. Just a scenario, I always thought that was common courtesy.

But why can't people stand up also? So I have to sit and not watch my cp's coach perform because someone else wants to watch? So I don't get to watch but the person behind me does??
Maybe if the lady was nice about it I would have moved but there is NO WAY the other people I was with were going to sit down so all that would of happened is me not being able to see and wanting to throw someone down the stairs. Also she was the only person behind us complaining, everyone else just stood up with us and cheered.
I get really frustrated with cheer moms that show up to NCA with their Kindle/Ipad/laptop and sit in the arena all day complaining about people standing because they either A. don't care enough about the sport to support all the teams or B. their just lazy and want everyone to cater to them.

I had no idea SOT stood during performances. I've learned something new today.

It's actually on the comp sheet the kids bring home the day before we compete! It says "all families and supporters of Spirit are expected to stand and cheer for the duration of the performance."

But why can't people stand up also? So I have to sit and not watch my cp's coach perform because someone else wants to watch? So I don't get to watch but the person behind me does??
Maybe if the lady was nice about it I would have moved but there is NO WAY the other people I was with were going to sit down so all that would of happened is me not being able to see and wanting to throw someone down the stairs. Also she was the only person behind us complaining, everyone else just stood up with us and cheered.
I get really frustrated with cheer moms that show up to NCA with their Kindle/Ipad/laptop and sit in the arena all day complaining about people standing because they either A. don't care enough about the sport to support all the teams or B. their just lazy and want everyone to cater to them.

Im not familiar with NCA's Set up. Is there a Fan section where they can come up front? Or is it all area seating? Regardless, I would not care who anyone was, or what program they were with. You stand up in front of me during a performance, I would be rude because its not common courtesy.

When my daughter started in cheer about 12 years ago, the coach explained cheer competition etiquette to the team and parents. We were to never walk in the aisle or stand in front of anyone during a performance. I remember some competitions had ushers at each aisle as a reminder. It's unfortunate that good manners seem to have disappeared.

It's actually on the comp sheet the kids bring home the day before we compete! It says "all families and supporters of Spirit are expected to stand and cheer for the duration of the performance."
The problem with this is that if every team did this you could be standing all day just to see around the people in front of you. Many competitions have an area specifically for a team's fans to stand, in which case everyone who wants to stand should go to that area. We typically stand as our team takes the stage and then sit when the performance starts. Sorry I think this policy is inconsiderate to others who are in the arena. IMHO

I usually agree with most of your opinions, but here we definitely split...if you were standing in front of me I would be upset too. If I stand up to be able to see past you, then the person behind me has to stand to see too, and on and on - up to the top rows. Not only that, I am 5'4" tall. If the person standing in front of me is 5'8" or more (or has big hair or a big bow) I won't be able to see even if I do stand up. And my bones are too brittle to risk standing on those floppy chairs. ;)

How would you like if someone stood up during a team you read wanted to see?

Not meaning to pile on, but I agree with the rest of the posters here. I too didn't realize it's expected of SOT fans. I see them at competitions all the time, but never seemed to notice it. As was mentioned, I'm sure several ppl are like me, and want to see gyms from all over the country. I was just telling the friend I was with how awesome Spirit's med coed team was, and subsequently shocked when they lost to GT. But maybe in the course of looking over, under, and around SOT folks, I missed some mistakes in their routine?

Back