All-Star My Season Is Officially About To Start Soon, And I've Got Some Major Conflicts...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
so I have multiple dilemmas here, and need some major help:
I go back to school soon, which also means my season officially starts. I am going to be on blood thinners until at least december, and I'm not allowed to cheer while on them. We have to cheer games to be able to compete at nationals, which, although I'm sure she'd make an exception for me, I still want to cheer games because I feel like if I don't, I won't really be part of the team anymore. That's the other thing... I'm so nervous my coach and my teamates will be angry at me for this. And i've been conditioning and stretching, but thats all i'm allowed to do. I feel like my team just really doesn't need me anymore. My mom said we can talk to my doctor about games, the biggest thing is I can't risk bleeding or bruising. my question is, do you think its still possible to do games with those conditions? We don't stunt much at games, mostly just real basic stunts, same with tumbling. With games, and practices for that matter, comes another dilemma. I am working with women's field hockey for Athletic Training, and all our practices and games overlap. This is NOT optional, it's my major, and required for me to graduate. I have no idea what to do. Is this a sign I should just call it quits?

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper

The only advice I can give on the not being able to practice thing is to maybe sit down and have a meeting with your coach and then teammates so that they know how you feel.

As for the overlap, I am a firm believer that school comes first because that is how you are going to make a living once you graduate and it is the real reason for being in college. So for me, I would put my stuff for school first and if that was a problem then it is the cheer coach's problem because I imagine the athlete director and dean of the school would put your school committment first.

As far as your health goes--- listen to your doctor.

I know it's a hard choice to make, but sometimes you have to prioritize in life. Remember the main reason why you went to school--- to get an education and a future career path! Good luck in everything you do!! We've known each other long enough where I think it goes without saying that if you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here to listen :)

As hard as it is to give up something that has been a part of your life for so long, your health absolutely, 100% needs to be first. If you are going to be on blood thinners, even the most basic stunts could be extremely dangerous. Not to mention, that you will bruise a lot more easily. You don't want to play around with your health. It's not worth it in the end. If your coach will allow you to do games, then great, but I wouldn't stunt.

I think you need to take the year off. With your Dr not clearing you till Dec at the earliest and Nationals being the second weekend in Jan, you won't have enough time to get yourself mat ready. I don't think that you can risk even simple stunts due to the medication. Even a thigh stand runs the risk of bruising.
Talk to Gemma first, then talk to the team. Let them know that you're taking off the year for medical reasons. Use the time to do your duties for Athletic Training and show up to cheer practice as much as you can. Show Gemma, and the team, that you still want to be involved. Condition with the team as much as you can to stay on board with what is going on. You really really need to listen to your Dr on this one. Trust me, you'd rather take a year off and come back ready to be at 100% next year than to half-a$$ it this year, and cause yourself to become more sick because of pushing it too much.

Losing a close friend this week - nothing is worth your health!!

If anything just do cheers! No stunting or tumbling. Even sit at the games and be a part of the team if you can.
As for AT, is there any way you can switch to maybe a spring sport and have that count instead?

It sounds like you already know the answer to this one. No matter how hard it is, you'll never be able to leave your family and they will never shut you out. So take care of yourself and they will take care of you, even if you have to sit on the sidelines for a season.

BowCat said:
It sounds like you already know the answer to this one. No matter how hard it is, you'll never be able to leave your family and they will never shut you out. So take care of yourself and they will take care of you, even if you have to sit on the sidelines for a season.

I agree. Support your teammates and they will support you with whatever decision you make. Last year our most dedicated backspot had to quit for health reasons right in the middle of our nationals run and it was devestating to us all. She still came to every practice and was JUST released a week ago. Her commitment to the team made her return so much more exciting than if shed just called it quits and disappeared.
Good luck hon!

You are in a really big predicament! But if I were you definitely listen to your doctor! It will be very hard but maybe you could ask him if you could just do the motions and cheers with your team at games? But competing could be very dangerous!! Get better soon!

PLEASE listen to your doctor. I has a pt who was on blood thinners and never got her levels checked. She fell down hit her head and eventually passed away. I don't want to scare you, but being on blood thinners is something that can not be taken lightly.

I hated to shimmy lifeoftheparty's post bc it dealt w/a sad subject....but the reason I did is bc she/he's right.

Sweetheart, blood thinners are no joke. It often takes doctors numerous times just to get the dose right and as I'm sure you know, they probably constantly monitor you to see if your dose needs adjusting (especially as time goes on). You really, really shouldn't be participating in a high contact sport :( It can literally become a life or death situation and nothing is worth your life. MissBee is right and even something as simple as a thigh stand can lead to bruising. I remember when my mom was alive (she eventually died from cancer related complications) and she was on a blood thinner, she wound up having to have a couple of blood transfusions (and she wasn't even very mobile...bruises would just start showing up, so she'd go to the doc, they'd have to adjust the dose, etc....rinse, repeat, you get the drift)

But I really wish you luck! Maybe you just participate in the cheer/chant aspect of your school squad so you can at least still feel like a part of the team.

I hated to shimmy lifeoftheparty's post bc it dealt w/a sad subject....but the reason I did is bc she/he's right.

Sweetheart, blood thinners are no joke. It often takes doctors numerous times just to get the dose right and as I'm sure you know, they probably constantly monitor you to see if your dose needs adjusting (especially as time goes on). You really, really shouldn't be participating in a high contact sport :( It can literally become a life or death situation and nothing is worth your life. MissBee is right and even something as simple as a thigh stand can lead to bruising. I remember when my mom was alive (she eventually died from cancer related complications) and she was on a blood thinner, she wound up having to have a couple of blood transfusions (and she wasn't even very mobile...bruises would just start showing up, so she'd go to the doc, they'd have to adjust the dose, etc....rinse, repeat, you get the drift)

we're even still figuring this out.... that's the most frustrating part. i can't do anything to make it more stable. she wants me between 2 and 2.5, even closer to three, and i was down in 1.4 and 1.6 for the longest time. which means it may even take longer than december since it took so long to regulate, especially since this sucker is huge. I was going twice a week to test it, now only once a week. which is going to be hard when i get back to school.

IMO, do the spirit end of college cheer, but NONE of the physical activity. Listen to your health Poptart; a few months off as opposed to permanent damage? Not even a question in my book.

Could you maybe take the class another semester? Otherwise...I think you know what you'd have to do :-/ Maybe explain to the coach your situation and work something out where, considering the circumstances of your injury anyway, you can take the class now and just make it to any event for cheer that you possibly can.

Back