My Stunt Group Can't Hit Anything.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2012
I made Senior 4, All-Girl this year, and was absolutely thrilled. We had our first few practises and everything was going great. I was making huge improvements. I suddenly found myself hitting extensions effortlessly, hitting full ups and doubling for everything, where I hadn't been able to before. Then we got the news that our team was to be combined with another, 25 + an additional 7 athletes. (This team, while the level, didn't have the same numbers at tryouts.) That was when everything changed. My stunt was completely changed, and then it was changed again. I'm now on my second month with my newest stunt group. And in these two months we haven't hit a single stunt in our division. Our 'skills' currently consist of a full down, and a non-extended double base. Right now I'm so completely, utterly frustrated and more often than not, I come home crying.

The coaches ignore us, and never seem to pay any attention even when we ask for help, so we've been going to a lot of open gyms to work on our own. It's very frustrating for me, a girl whom is used to being point and/or in the front line. Right now our group seems to have good chemistry, and everyone gets along. But I know they're just as frustrated as me. However, skill wise we seem to very unmatched. My one base is tiny (5'2) and my other is (5'6-an ex-front spot) while my backspot is (5'7) and I am (5'1). We're constantly having under and over power issues, and a lot inconsistency.

I apologize for all the ranting, but I really needed to get this off my chest. I'm hoping that maybe some of you have suggestions for compensating and dealing with the power, and height differences without switching up our stunt group. Along with suggestions about talking with our coaches, how to deal with the lack of communication.

Thank you so much,

Lily

(Our current team goal is switch-ups, tick-tocks, double downs, and full ups to extension, along with kick full baskets.)

The best advice I can give, without seeing any video of your group in action, is to make sure you're all dipping then pushing (equally) on the same counts. If your stunts aren't hitting the point of weightlessness then your problem is most likely timing.

Try taking videos of your stunt group, it can be really helpful to see what you may have missed during stunting. Also, like cupieqt said, we can see and offer our advice. It wouldn't hurt to have an experienced member on your team watch your stunting, if you can't record it. Sometimes they can pick up on little things that can make a huge difference.
In terms of the height, the tall base is just going to have to learn to squat (especially in libs) and the short base is going to have to stunt tall. It can take some getting used to.
Have you tried talking to the coach after practice and voicing your concern?

I'll definately take a video, and hopefully post it, if I can get permission from my stunt group. Ems, yes, my group has talked to our coaches. But we haven't seen any change since then, and they don't seen to be willing to deal with the problems within our group.

I base a girl who SOOO much bigger than me in baskets, it works just fine except for it doesn't go as high as everyone else. I have no idea why my coach has not put me in the air as this girl easily weighs more than 20-30lbs than me and about a foot taller as are the other bases. Even I though I can not stand flying I think it would be easier for everyone if I flew. I was with a group like this last year and we NEVER hit anything.... It was so incredibly frustrating. Unfortunately there was a event that caused this. It was a horrible year for me and my fellow bases. Try having your mom talk to the coach, it worked for me! Good luck!!!!!

Update: Thanks for all the great advice guys! Things have been looking up since I last posted on this thread. My group went to open gym together, and we asked one of the OAG 5 girls to come with us and watch. They were so much help and in one hour we got out switch-up and full up. Not to mention, my doubles have returned. (Praise the cheer gods!) It was crazy, and all we really needed as a group was someone to point out some small things. (Turns out that we had some wrong grips, and that I wasn't waiting long enough before trying to hit things.) I literally cannot express how happy I am, and while I know the coaching situation this year most likely won't get better, at least I know that myself and my group have accomplished our goals and our on are way to maxing out for L4. So thanks for all the encouragment and advice!

My group that I had last year was pretty similar for a while. Our bases we're 5'2 and 5'5, our flyer was 5'3, and I was 6'0. Our coaches ignored us unless we went face to face with them and asked them to help fix it. We went into the gym extra a couple of times and coach helped us to fix the height and over power issues. We had to make sure that our taller base really squatted down low enough so that she was level with the shorter base (as hard/awkward as that may feel, it has to happen), the back spot should help pull up as much as possible so that the bases can fix their grips easier, and the flyer has to stay very tight. We also really spent a lot of time going over each and every individual count in the stunt to make sure we were all dipping, turning, releasing, etc. all at the exact same time. After fixing how to deal with the height difference and getting the timing drilled into our heads, we practiced the stunt over and over again. Anytime we had the chance, we were in the air and practiced until we couldn't go wrong with it.
I don't know if that helps at all, but that's just what my group did. It's very tedious work but it definitely helped my group and hopefully it could help yours too. Eventually things will work out with the group because it'll click into your heads on how to fix it but until then I hope this helps!

The best thing is to also NOT let it get you down. Sometimes groups don't work, but if your coaches aren't willing to make a switch - then it's probably because they have faith that you all will come together. It's about working together to figure out what's wrong. I agree with everyone that videoing helps, but don't let it make you upset.

Update #2: Seven days ago my stunt group hit our first kick double while at Open Gym, we were practising for kick singles, but kept hitting one and a halves, (My body loves to twist, what can I say?) and then decided to stop fighting it. It was kind of a crazy feeling, knowing that we've passed the point of maxing out for L4 especially after spending weeks of hitting nothing and feeling awful all the time. I'm so proud of how much we've accomplished in such a short period of time, and incredibly grateful for all the advice and tips, not to mention the countless Open Gyms.

However, there is a downside to things. Last night one of the members on our team injured herself basing, and as of next practise, my stunt group is going to be rearranged. We've got 5 active alternates at the moment, and according to my coach one of them will be joining my group, and one of my bases will be going to the other group. I'm feeling rather frustrated right now, but know that if we all commit, we'll continue progressing even if we need to take a few steps back in order to move forward again.

Wish me luck! And thanks again for all the advice,
Lily

Try not to get too frustrated. This is just going to put you and your stunt group under a lot of stress. Always look for something good that you did in every stunt. Good luck!

Update #2: .... I'm so proud of how much we've accomplished in such a short period of time, and incredibly grateful for all the advice and tips, not to mention the countless Open Gyms.

However, there is a downside to things. Last night one of the members on our team injured herself basing, and as of next practise, my stunt group is going to be rearranged. We've got 5 active alternates at the moment, and according to my coach one of them will be joining my group, and one of my bases will be going to the other group. I'm feeling rather frustrated right now, but know that if we all commit, we'll continue progressing even if we need to take a few steps back in order to move forward again.

Wish me luck! And thanks again for all the advice,
Lily

So glad your group worked it out and i really love your attitude because you believe in your group/team and work for every step forward! Good luck! Keep us updatet ! :)

Whatever happens, with a willingness to work hard and take correction / help, you will do great (even if like you say you may have to take a few steps backwards.)

Update #3: The first thing I want to say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to everyone whom has given advice or encouraging words. I know I say it a lot, but I am so overwhelming grateful for the support. This is a rather difficult update for me, and I debated not posting it at all, but after thinking over it quite a bit I realized that you all deserve to know. As of Monday, I am no longer a member of my S4 team. I don't know if I'll cheer next year, and if I do it most certainly won't be at the club I'm at now. I don't intend to stop tumbling, I'm close to my full twisting layout and don't want to give up on the goal, even if things have drastically changed over the last few days.

A side note: The issue, which I don't feel comfortable discussing in detail at this point in time affected a lot of people on my team. Some coaching decisions were made, whether for better or worse, and in turn the athletes I cheer with also had to make some decisions.

Thanks for being there,
Lily

Back