All-Star Nca Scoring Issues Day 2

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The only issue I noticed was how a team can hit day 1 and not hit day 2 but move up from day 1?? makes no sense to me!!!!

Remember everything is dependent on how everyone else in the division does. It's easy to say that a team that doesn't hit should move down in their placements, but even a team with a stunt fall could be cleaner than a team without one. Take Wildcats for example. Had a pretty bad run 2, but everything they did execute was executed to near perfection, and still difficult. If a team that doesn't have their difficulty combined with flawless execution hits, they won't necessarily move past them in placements just because of a stunt fall or tumble bust or whatever the deductions may be... To a point obviously. After a few mistakes it seems a bit unlikely a team would hold their spot.

How does a team's raw score get raised from day 1 to day 2?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

At a competition (2 runs, 1 night) we attended in December, there wasn't "raw" scores per say, but our score without deductions was better run 2 than it was run 1 because we were told to hit body positions with a bit more conviction/confidence, clean arms in transitions, perform better, and fix slight timing issues in pulling body positions, all of which drastically lowered our stunting and transitions/choreography execution marks, which are factors in your raw/hit score.

Many teams use the feedback they received on day 1 and have a practice to fix things/increase difficulty for day 2.

Yep, at one of our Varsity competitions we received a low building (coed stunting) score on day 1. We changed the section from libs to extensions and made them all unassisted and that section went up a point or two.

Execution is a part of raw score too. You can better execute your skills and have better double downs, jump timing, etc and your raw score will go up.

Yep, at one of our Varsity competitions we received a low building (coed stunting) score on day 1. We changed the section from libs to extensions and made them all unassisted and that section went up a point or two.

Execution is a part of raw score too. You can better execute your skills and have better double downs, jump timing, etc and your raw score will go up.

That's a good point about coed too. When it comes to unassisted, you're better off lowering difficulty slightly and having stunts be unassisted than to compete slightly harder skills with side spots touching. At least for most competitions.

Not sure why you're confused. If the judges gave a team the highest or second highest raw score on both days, and they don't have many or any deductions, they're going to place high. Just because it's not a well-known gym doesn't mean they can't win NCA over the bigger gyms. And yes, I'm a little defensive because my daughter's team won that division and I see you keep questioning the placements. Every team had issues on either day one or two.
I'm not saying that because your gym is smaller than the other is this division at all. I came from a small gym myself, that's not the issue.

I'm not saying that because your gym is smaller than the other is this division at all. I came from a small gym myself, that's not the issue.
How about you post links to the teams of which you don't understand scoring/placement and tell us exactly where you think scoring went wrong? I'm sure there are people on the boards who can help you clarify.

Did anyone notice teams not getting deductions when they clearly had mistakes?
Yes I did. I take notes on all teams. I saw that very often but the biggest one to me in my cp division was there was a team that had a stunt not go up. It fell on the way up and they had no deductions. Even i looked at the video varsity posted about an hour later of that team you could see it clear as day in the front. Zero deductions!

I will say on day one, we had a girl bust her toe one to back. We were devastated because it was one of our only mistakes. When our coach got our score sheets back, we had zero deductions...

the biggest problem i saw all weekend was teams not getting deducted for tumbling issues.(busts, touchdowns) it was an issue last year too...

2 of our teams had definite tumbling hands down and didn't receive deductions in the same hall. With that said, other teams were showing the same mistakes and also not receiving deductions. So at least I know they were consistent with how they were handling/calling deductions in that hall.

2 of our teams had definite tumbling hands down and didn't receive deductions in the same hall. With that said, other teams were showing the same mistakes and also not receiving deductions. So at least I know they were consistent with how they were handling/calling deductions in that hall.

I agree. Based on our day 1 performance, we were all pretty confident we had 1.5 pts in deductions. When we saw the score sheet, we had zero deductions, however, our raw score was about 1.5 pts lower than the raw score we had received at a small NCA competition a few weeks prior.

My two cents, I do believe it is easier and seems more transparent to spectators when they see a raw score that reflects the difficulty and performance, and then ALL deductions are removed from that score. NCA seems unique from all other Varsity comps in the sense they take some deductions from execution vs. a straight deduction off of the raw score.

The other senior team from my gym did awful day two. Our gym owners and coaches even said so...it was just obvious. They dropped about four stunts, had a few tumble busts, and a handful of bobbles.
Zero deductions. How does that happen? That got second in their division of 11. I'm happy for them and all...but they shouldn't have been up there with that kind of performance.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm glad the divisions / halls we were in seemed to be dead on. I'm not sure I'd be ok losing to a team that didn't get deductions but I agreed with every placement in every hall. & we had atleast one team in every hall/arena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back