Need Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 6, 2015
I am having some major issues with my CP's coach (our team is very small and he is the only staff, rents space from a gymnastics gym for practices) regarding:

Charging us $350 for uniforms and then he ordered uniforms that cost about $40. In addition, he collected the money in July/August and did not give us our uniforms until March with no explanation about what happened to the rest of the money.
Constant cancellation of competitions (we didn't even compete until February even though we started practicing in May)
Moving 4 athletes to a Senior team that are underage (including my daughter who turned 10 in September and three who are 8/9)
Charged us for music and never ordered it.

There are many other issues including time management, lack of communication, angry/aggressive outbursts and gossiping about parents and athletes, but I am most concerned with the money issue and the age violation. If we even ask him about any of these issues, he gets very angry and defensive. He has created a climate where everyone is too intimidated to express concern or ask questions.

We are strongly considering leaving as we can no longer trust this coach and do not want to continue throwing our money away. Just looking for some perspective from other cheer parents.

Thank you. I appreciate hearing that. The only reason we would consider staying is for the team and not wanting to affect them since we are still competing. We don't want let them down, but also need to protect our daughter and ourselves. I think I just need to process it and you are right, reading it back helps reinforce that leaving is the best thing to do.

Thank you. I appreciate hearing that. The only reason we would consider staying is for the team and not wanting to affect them. We don't want let them down, but also need to protect our daughter and ourselves.
When does the season end?

Just wondering, is there some place we can file a complaint? I couldn't find anything on the USASF website. Being new, I am not quite sure how all that works.

Yes, I've been conflicted about leaving before the season is over. I am totally with you on starting what you finish. but I agree. messy is a great description.

I am having some major issues with my CP's coach (our team is very small and he is the only staff, rents space from a gymnastics gym for practices) regarding:

Charging us $350 for uniforms and then he ordered uniforms that cost about $40. In addition, he collected the money in July/August and did not give us our uniforms until March with no explanation about what happened to the rest of the money.
Constant cancellation of competitions (we didn't even compete until February even though we started practicing in May)
Moving 4 athletes to a Senior team that are underage (including my daughter who turned 10 in September and three who are 8/9)
Charged us for music and never ordered it.

There are many other issues including time management, lack of communication, angry/aggressive outbursts and gossiping about parents and athletes, but I am most concerned with the money issue and the age violation. If we even ask him about any of these issues, he gets very angry and defensive. He has created a climate where everyone is too intimidated to express concern or ask questions.

We are strongly considering leaving as we can no longer trust this coach and do not want to continue throwing our money away. Just looking for some perspective from other cheer parents.
Run! Don't walk....RUN!!! All the signs are right in front of you. You'll go nowhere fast staying there.

Just wondering, is there some place we can file a complaint? I couldn't find anything on the USASF website. Being new, I am not quite sure how all that works.
You could contact Les Stella, the VP of Rules, Safety and Judging, or perhaps someone on the Parent Advisory Committee. @ACEDAD could possibly help.

I would report to the BBB and I think USASF should be made aware and I think there are some much more informed boarders who could assist but maybe the USASF PAC Facebook group might be a resource for that as well. I think as a parent that for the protection of our athletes it is disappointing that there is not a section under athletes for parents with an easy link for concerns. Not very user friendly. If indeed they are the governing body then they should have an easy and clear way for parents and athletes to share concerns about a gym versus trying to search for the right way wading through the website. There is a way under gyms to search for gyms - it might be worthwhile that you look and see if he is even legit with USASF as it sounds pretty iffy from what you have said to start with. You may wish to check with your county as well - some counties run business complaint offices as well. Not sure what events you are going to not all are USASF sanctioned and again just going off your post all this sounds shady. Because you are saying it is run in a gymnastic studio but separate when you do leave I would have a sit down with the facility owners providing proof of your experience they may not wish to work this individual if it could tarnish their reputation as well.

Latest posts

Back