Need Help With Kick Single! Watch Video.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 24, 2011
Im terrible at coaching kick singles, i try to explain and show her videos and drills and such. Somethings just not clicking. She has a beautiful twist and good flexibility on both legs. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

The video didn't post but I followed your other videos and found the video. To me, it looks like she is not riding it up far enough to get the full effect of the kick. She's kicking as soon as she leaves her bases hands. Have her ride it up more. Also, something I taught my flier is to think of turning to the judges when she kicks, initiating the turn then. Not sure if that's the best way but it looks pretty in the air.

Im terrible at coaching kick singles, i try to explain and show her videos and drills and such. Somethings just not clicking. She has a beautiful twist and good flexibility on both legs. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I didn't see the video but most of the time the flyer isn't confident enough to do a kick and a twist.
Try to do only kicks in the beginning. Just a straight basket toss and then a kick at the highest point of the basket and arch.
It really helps flyers to get the timing of the kick.
If you could post the video again, I might be able to really help.

Like MHSCheercoach, I stalked your videos a little bit and was able to see the video of this skill. If it was one of my girls, I would tell her to try and make the kick like a star, and then utilizing her right hip (which should be raised) pullover. One this that has helps is telling them to try and get their body into that starred position, with their right fist and their right ankle in line, then keeping the fist and the ankle in time initiate the spin. Which speaks to what MHSCheercoach said as well, she needs to ride the basket in order to do that, the longer she is in the air, the easier it is for her to fully extend the leg in the kick, which will make the twist just happen.

Reading this back through sounds weird, so if you want to PM me your email address, I can explain it in a video with one of my girls tomorrow night in practice. I also have a great drill that you can do on the floor as well that will help. :) I have had numerous girls learn by doing this drill, and have had times when I have told them to go up and just do the kick, and they end up kick fulling without trying!

@InfinityElite is totally right!
I also went on youtube and saw the video. The main problem is that she is initiating the spin with her shoulder instead of the hip.
Try drills where she really has to spin with her hip.

Like I said, I can video the drill for you...but let me first try to explain it. Stand behind your flyer, have her hit a high V, and then kick her leg up so you are hold it to "mirror" the arm. Think a heal stretch but with you holding it. Move her leg around and have her follow it with her arm so she can get the concept of the two being "tied together." Once she can get that, take her leg and give it a little toss from right to left. This will initiate the spin, using her toe and her hip, with her shoulders connected and that arm following she should complete a full rotation so be ready to catch her in a cradle type position. You can actually have her t-out, and catch her under her arms like a back spot. By holding her leg, you can pick up her hip a little bit, and show her the actual position she needs to be in. Like I said I will try and get a video. If I can figure out how to, I'll just post it in here.

I didn't get a chance to make the video like I wanted, but you can kind of see the drill here. I would also be willing to explain it and demo is through facetime if that helped also :) Just PM me if you need anything else!

I didn't get a chance to make the video like I wanted, but you can kind of see the drill here. I would also be willing to explain it and demo is through facetime if that helped also :) Just PM me if you need anything else!

thanks for all the help. I have another girl starting kick singles today the hardest part seems to be the kick. I couldnt see your video because it was private. i kind of understand what you're saying but still a little confused. if you could post it again or my email is [email protected] if thats easier.

Back