Negative Parents

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 10, 2015
What is with parents that complain about EVERYTHING?! Coaches, practice, how practice is run, makeup, what their CP is asked to do in a routine, what their CP isn't asked to do in routine, uniform is awful, this child isn't doing their job.....just an endless rant.

Seriously if you are that merisable as a parent, why are you here? How on earth do you distance yourself from this toxic person without making waves?

What is with parents that complain about EVERYTHING?! Coaches, practice, how practice is run, makeup, what their CP is asked to do in a routine, what their CP isn't asked to do in routine, uniform is awful, this child isn't doing their job.....just an endless rant.

Seriously if you are that merisable as a parent, why are you here? How on earth do you distance yourself from this toxic person without making waves?

Avoiding the miserable parents is easy, you learn to use selective hearing and ignore them. When ignoring isn't and option you learn to humor them while half heartedly paying attention. Some parents will never be happy no matter what.

**No trolling without a permit. For a permit please inquire within**

This is my first year as a head coach. I have heard the gossip through the grapevine, but I never was in the position to deal with the complaints. I had a parent complain to me that high ponytails hurt her daughter's head when she does forward/backward rolls, so she thought I should change the comp hair accordingly.

Amen @Cheer Dad, when presenting the new uniform designs..

This is my first year as a head coach. I have heard the gossip through the grapevine, but I never was in the position to deal with the complaints. I had a parent complain to me that high ponytails hurt her daughter's head when she does forward/backward rolls, so she thought I should change the comp hair accordingly.

Amen @Cheer Dad, when presenting the new uniform designs..

Why put her in cheer in the first place? There is a pretty good chance she'll be hurt by something else along the way.

Do you allow parents in you gym?

If it is their first year and they are that miserable, maybe the gym really isn't a good fit for them at all. If they are a long term parent that wasn't always that miserable it could be that things have been building up for years and it is time for a gym change.

Usually there is at least some validity in at least one aspect of a parent's complaints (even the most compliant prone types of people), but parents as miserable as you describe would be better off not watching practice until they can finish out the season.

If you're close to this person and they are just doing nothing but constantly complaining, usually what I say is "you sound really unhappy with this place, are you thinking of not coming back next season?" They then usually start talking about the positive things that keep them there, and it also calms them down some for future conversations too cause they get the message that you think they complain to the point that they need to just leave. If they actually are planning to leave at least from then on you can remind them how they only have to deal w/ things for a limited time.

Why put her in cheer in the first place? There is a pretty good chance she'll be hurt by something else along the way.

Do you allow parents in you gym?

Her older sister is an elite athlete in the gym, so the younger sister wanted to start this year. I have no idea what she thought what other hairstyle would suit her needs!

We have one-sided mirrors in the viewing room, but we close the curtains most practices. They're allowed to use the athletes room to help their kids get ready until practice begins though.

You're assuming they're miserable, many people have narcissistic personality disorder and they have an inflated sense of self. When a person complains non-stop it is not normal. What do you do? You find a friend and make a game out of counting their critiques. Whomever hits the closest buys Starbucks for the next practice.

You're assuming they're miserable, many people have narcissistic personality disorder and they have an inflated sense of self. When a person complains non-stop it is not normal. What do you do? You find a friend and make a game out of counting their critiques. Whomever hits the closest buys Starbucks for the next practice.
[emoji23]

**I promise I don't eat children and I am not gross looking**

Just out of curiosity, how many years has cp been in cheer and how many years have you been at your current gym?

I ask because I remember my first and even second year at a poorly run, lacking in integrity gym hearing a multitude of complaints from parents who had been there the previous two seasons and thinking the same thing as you posted. And most of them turned out to be valid complaints which became glaringly apparent to me by the 3rd and 4th season there. When cp first started, I just knew nothing about cheer so I didn't know any better.

On the flip side, you will find toxic parents at every single youth sport. You just need to identify them quickly and then isolate yourself. It's a necessity to preserve your sanity especially if you and cp are happy.

If you must stay at practice, I recommend staying in your car or bringing a device to keep your nose in. Ignore, ignore, ignore---and never engage. You'll get burnt if you try and help, but if you become invisible they don't sniff you out.

I've also found Starbucks to be a great place to be when I want to avoid someone.

If you must stay at practice, I recommend staying in your car or bringing a device to keep your nose in. Ignore, ignore, ignore---and never engage. You'll get burnt if you try and help, but if you become invisible they don't sniff you out.

I've also found Starbucks to be a great place to be when I want to avoid someone.
Or put on headphones. Turning music on is optional, it just makes you unapproachable if you don't acknowledge anything said/done.

Some people are just happier when they're miserable and complaining. For my high needs parents (over the stupid stuff), I take my time getting back to them. Always within 24 hours, but never when the e-mail comes in. Let's them cool a little and realize that their drama is not my priority. They also get short to the point answers (never rude, but nothing extra). I also rarely deal with parents in life though, usually through e-mail, so that helps

Back