Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
I propose:
Senior: 14 - 18
Junior: 9 - 13
Youth: 6 - 10
All tiny is exhibition only. Maybe all tiny teams can compete for free at comps.

What is good about this? What is bad?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Gotta think about these, but i do have to say that i definitely feel that tiny should be exhibition only. they are soo young. they should just be getting used to performing. at their age they could probably care less what place they come in anyways.

I like it. Obviously there would be people upset about the 12 to 14 change but I think it's for the better. Also I think it would be good for Tiny's to just be able to have fun and just learn that they like to cheer.

I propose:
Senior: 14 - 18
Junior: 9 - 13
Youth: 6 - 10
All tiny is exhibition only. Maybe all tiny teams can compete for free at comps.

What is good about this? What is bad?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Some freshmen in high school (those with fall birthdays) have a cheer age of 13 (depending on state rules for entering kindergarten). It'd be nice to have the Senior age start at 13 instead of 14 to cover those girls, maybe having that 1 year overlap with Juniors. (e.g. pretty sure Virginia is still Sept 30th for kindergarten).

I have long thought that since getting rid of a skill level is next to impossible, the best way to increase number of teams at competitions and create better teams with the kids you have, we need to get rid of an age group.

@kingston My question is - why do you propose an age overlap between youth and jr but not for senior? 9 and 10 year olds can be youth or junior, but 13 year olds can only be junior? That does not make sense to me.

I would rather see this:

Tiny: 5 and under exhibition only
Youth: 10 and under
Junior: 13 and under
Senior: 12-18

I have long thought that since getting rid of a skill level is next to impossible, the best way to increase number of teams at competitions and create better teams with the kids you have, we need to get rid of an age group.

@kingston My question is - why do you propose an age overlap between youth and jr but not for senior? 9 and 10 year olds can be youth or junior, but 13 year olds can only be junior? That does not make sense to me.

I would rather see this:

Tiny: 5 and under exhibition only
Youth: 10 and under
Junior: 13 and under
Senior: 12-18

In all other youth sports there is an age floor. The ages can be adjusted, but I like the idea of floors, even for junior and youth.

In short the idea was for high schoolers to be with high schoolers, middle schoolers to be with middle schoolers, and elementary schoolers to be with elementary schoolers. Feel free to play with the ages but HAVE FLOORS!

I think Tinies deserve to compete if they so choose. Some tiny teams are quite good :) Also, it would have to be made clear that it is exhibition level 1. Level 1 skills still apply. Your tinies can not throw tucks and baskets. And I definitely believe there needs to be a Mini. Also, putting age floors that don't overlap eliminates crossovers between age division. No more Mini 2 and Youth 3. They could only cross within their age group.
I propose a system with a 1 year overlap between each level. That way kids who are more mature or have high skills still have a chance to cross
Tiny- 3-5
Mini- 5-8
Youth- 8-11
Junior 11-14
Senior 14-18

Why no mini? Although the age range for each of the divisions is about the same, a 6 year old with a 10 year old is a big gap in maturity. Not to mention the potential lack of experience. Maybe a 6-8 and then the 9-13?

I agree about 6-10 being a big maturity gap for sure... I think that the way we have the ages set up now works pretty well. Others on this thread have suggested "age floors" as a way to eliminate crossovers. I don't really want to dive too much into the crossover "issue" as it's beating a dead horse :deadhorse:. BUT!!! You have to remember that crossovers are a necessity for many small gyms- including mine. Crossovers help us to create teams for all our athletes and keep our higher and lower level athletes on teams that can challenge them. Further, it helps us keep our kids in our gym and not at the bigger gym "down the road". :jawdrop:

I think Tiny should be exhibition only, but at the same time, most of our Tiny athletes never understood what place they got- they were just happy to have their team name called and receive a trophy/medal. We had a girl say that she wanted to get third place because they had already gotten 1st and 2nd at other competitions but never third. So cute.

@redsmom , yes, VA is 9/30 cut-off.

I think @kingston 's ages and reasoning are fine. But more than anything, I would like to see Levels 1 and 2 as developmental levels, exhibition only, regardless of age. No competing until the athletes reach Level 3, maybe even 4. But this thread isn't about that.

You have to remember that crossovers are a necessity for many small gyms- including mine. Crossovers help us to create teams for all our athletes and keep our higher and lower level athletes on teams that can challenge them.
Exactly! There's got to be at least a little crossover room in the age floors

I think @kingston 's ages and reasoning are fine. But more than anything, I would like to see Levels 1 and 2 as developmental levels, exhibition only, regardless of age. No competing until the athletes reach Level 3, maybe even 4. But this thread isn't about that.
Even senior ages would be exhibition? That doesn't seem really fair to the older athletes.. I can see if tiny/mini teams exhibition but not any older.
Also, it doesn't help expand business. What parent would pay for their child to be on an exhibition team?

Having level 1's compete is fine. It is a great and SAFE way to get people into allstar competitive cheerleading. And there are a TON of people in those divisions.

The thing about tiny's.... well... frankly they really have no idea whats going on really. If they were only allowed to exhibition they would not really care. The parents might though.

I understand the desire for (especially) older athletes to compete. Maybe what I see a lot of isn't common, but I see many level 1 and 2 athletes that haven't cheered before, ever. @kingston , I don't think the competition part of all star makes all star, all star. I think it's the routine. I would like to see more of an ease into full-blown, travel-the-earth, spend 5-10 grand a year and every waking moment in the gym, all star for those parents and kids who are newer than just dropping them into the middle of everything. Half-year teams don't exist everywhere, and there are a lot of kids who might like to try it, but on a smaller scale.@cheeeeer93 , If they could "try" it without having to give away their life, it might actually help business.

Back