All-Star New Basket Rules For College Cheer Are Making A Lot Of People Angry...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes, but there’s a difference in the risk of a skill that has hands on feet, versus one that is free flying.

As to the multiple comments about acro....

To quite Lt JG Daniel Caffey: “it doesn’t matter what I THINK, it only matters what I can PROVE.” (Bonus points for naming that movie)

If there’s some statistical evidence that supports this change, that’s all that matters. No ones feelings about sexism, what is done in other activities, etc matter beyond any degree of trending evidence from accident reports.

This is all speculation anyway, no one really knows WHY the rules were changed except the people who change them.

You can't handle the Rodeo burger! My husband and I still say that all the time.

I think it's actually "It doesn't matter what I believe, it only matters what I can prove" But yeah, a good movie and a good quote.

It all comes down to the coaching and the gym. How many times do we see janky tumbling in AS level 5 that makes us cringe? What are the requirements to be able to coach a college team? I know in HS pretty much anyone can coach a team not knowing much sometimes.

At first read I was side-eyeing all of it as I don't like anything that waters skills down and evens the playing field, but having watched college cheer for the past three years I understand the rule change. I don't love the male restriction rule, but most sports have different rules for men and woman. For example, men and women's lacrosse are almost completely different games. Not saying it's right, but it is unfortunately the way the world works and cheer is probably the most universal sport as far as men/women rules are concerned. I think you will see some beautiful baskets coming from the top teams that will have just as much "wow factor".
I absolutely see this making it's way into all star. Again - not necessarily a bad thing and probably more needed in most cases than in college cheer.

I guess I'm not particularly confused by any of it. Do the top college programs have all girl teams that can throw technically sound, safe double full baskets? Sure, but they're still going to be lower in height than most all-male based baskets.

Let's take a look at one program's all girl and coed teams as an example:

Morehead All Girl:
Morehead Coed:

I think we can safely assume that these two teams are being taught the same technique, so that's a non-factor. Obviously, the coed baskets still go significantly higher, allowing top girls more time to twist in their flip, and ultimately making the baskets safer. Notice that they also took away the ability for coed teams to have a top girl "back spot" AKA stand there and pretend to assist, so that's a step in the right direction too.

I get the "girls can do everything boys can do" mentality and I appreciate it. However, when it comes to strength, the fact is that male bases are typically naturally stronger than female bases. It's just anatomy. This is very similar to the argument we have time and time again about smaller top girls being easier to base. 99% of the time, it's just a fact.

At first read I was side-eyeing all of it as I don't like anything that waters skills down and evens the playing field, but having watched college cheer for the past three years I understand the rule change. I don't love the male restriction rule, but most sports have different rules for men and woman. For example, men and women's lacrosse are almost completely different games. Not saying it's right, but it is unfortunately the way the world works and cheer is probably the most universal sport as far as men/women rules are concerned. I think you will see some beautiful baskets coming from the top teams that will have just as much "wow factor".
I absolutely see this making it's way into all star. Again - not necessarily a bad thing and probably more needed in most cases than in college cheer.

Absolutely:

Different shot clock in men’s basketball versus women’s basketball

Different field dimensions in baseball versus softball

Different tees for men on the golf course than women on the golf course.

I admittedly am not a huge soccer fan, but it seems to be pretty much the same.

Hell they use a different basketball for girls/women because of the size/weight of the ball and the strength/size of hands factor.

And before anyone says “well those aren’t actually coed sports,” I’ve played in highly competitive coed softball leagues where we switched balls every batter depending on whether it was a male or female at the plate. Talk about having to make an adjustment mid play, when you think you’ve fielded a girls’ ball and it’s really a boys’.....

Men's and women's lax are totally different games? I'm intrigued! How? (Not that I understand lax, but isn't it similar to field hockey/soccer?)

Notice that they also took away the ability for coed teams to have a top girl "back spot" AKA stand there and pretend to assist, so that's a step in the right direction too.
this part is the biggest that many don't realize: the rule forces teams to only throw 3 baskets at once, no more 4 double full baskets to max scoresheets, etc

Latest posts

Back