New Cheer Dad Here---- Need Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 6, 2012
Hi all, I am a cheer dad and looking for some assistance. My daughter is a flyer. She is a awesome flyer, I love seeing her up in the air doing her thang. But I want her to be able to practice stunts at home. She is bugging me to buy her a stunt stand. Now I dont know about you, but those things are mighty pricey. I have been seeing posts about building one, but I have been unsuccessful in finding directions or specs for one. If any has any pics, specs, etc. I would really appreciate it. I look at it as any way to save money, is a good thing and I can put that towards a private.
Again, thanks.

Ok, so I am intrigued, I have never seen said "stunt stand" before and now must learn how to make them. It looks like you can make some at home using a large wood block with notches cut into it for foam inserts, the 360 one being on a caster with a mechanical stop point. Have you tried anything yet?
We currently use this board thing that helps some flyers maintain balance (and only costs $20). It looks like a
Tippy Disc 360
and the girls say it helps when at home.

This is what she is wanting, Training Videos | Cheerleading Stunt Stand I have seen a post here where the gym has some built out of wood. The one in the link, she can practice full ups and all that stuff. I have an idea in my head I guess I will try to make it and if successful will post a pic.

I was never a flyer, but when I was about 6 we bought this huge set of cheer workout stuff, and it happened to come with one of the wooden board stand things. I play around on it all the time to this day and it's great! They also use them at my gym.

A paint can also works...
Be careful with the cans. Girls tend to roll ankles on them. I sprained mine in high school "stunting" on the can.

Looks like the deal with the stunt stand is the way the foam nubs make it feel like a hand is holding your foot. Trust me I am in now way advocating for a $100+ product. I just want to figure out how to make it on the cheap.

Mine has been using a tuna can, but its just not as good I think as one of those stands.

A parent at our gym built them for us, and sold them to parents for $20. They can't be too expensive to make. All he did was make a base, use a post and put a small rectangle of wood on the post to stand on. I will take a picture on Sunday and post it for you.

CoachTamara I can't wait to see it. My husband wants to build something as well. We almost bought the stunt stand (had it at Battle of the Capital) all of my girls tried it and LOVED it. That said we went in a model home recently and they had one of those half balance balls that you stand on for balance and the girls were practicing on it. What I liked is it was more stable than a can and if they fell on it - it was rubber. BUT I would love a stunt stand for them - you'd think they would be a better deal at comps but the only thing they take off is shipping.

I will preface this by saying neither of my cp's fly. But I've always heard those stands teach bad habits (flat round surfaces being nothing like hands), but I of course am just going on what coaches told me when my little one was learning to fly (she ended up not and being a base).

I also might take ANY advice Mamarazzi gives, as her cp is one of the best level 5 flyers I've seen (she may not be the most well known, but she's better than any I've seen). No this isn't our friendship talking - she knows what she's talking about. :)

Cant wait to see the pic so I have something to go off of. My thinking is that she goes to gym for learning, away from gym she wants to practice so I have to get something she can practice on. My wife and I have different thoughts on this and was against me buying the cheerstand, so I didnt. But I want to give my daughter every chance possible to achive her best, and that takes practice. She knows that and loves to practice. I appreciate all the replies here, and look forward to seeing a pic of one so I can build it for her.

Back